Thread: Life in the Trump Era, Part 2

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by jrj84105 View Post
    I think a lot of the discomfort is centered on SHS because of her appearance.

We more easily laugh off insults to rich attractive celebrities, but it’s uncomfortable when someone teases somebody who is frankly quite ugly- doubly so when it’s a woman.

And it’s both fair and unfair. Is Sean Spicer seen as an adorable goof because of Melissa McCarthy’s portrayal or was he intrinsically less likely to be vilified than SHS simply because he’s better looking?

Should being ugly immunize someone from criticism in the same way that being really attractive buys people the benefit of the doubt in most circumstances? I don’t know, but I think there’d Be a lot less fuss if SHS were not sort of conspicuously non-photogenic in a role typically reserved for the camera friendly.
    Maybe sancho and I are on the same beauty awareness scale, but I don't think that SHS is ugly, it had never crossed my mind to be honest. But it does underscore the double standard applied to men and women particularly in positions of power. Or maybe it is the pettiness of politics today?

I don't recall jokes about Dee Dee Myers appearance and if we're ranking SHS and her on homeliness scales I don't think she comes out on top, but again, her relative beauty never occurred to me at the time.

If I go and look at the list of past press secretaries I'm not see a long line of 'beautiful people':

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_...ss_secretaries

Attached Images Attached Images