Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hirings and Firings

Hirings and Firings

On Stallings at Pitt and Scott Barnes:

https://thebiglead.com/2018/03/08/pi...s-search-firm/

In my opinion he really screwed Utah State going out the door in similar fashion. He's a really shitty AD who got really lucky with the hire of Gary Anderson.

Every AD has warts but we really ought to appreciate the job Hill has done on the Hill.

Folks on Twitter are already campaigning for Pitt to get Tom Creen, which would be interesting.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    In my opinion he really screwed Utah State going out the door in similar fashion. He's a really shitty AD who got really lucky with the hire of Gary Anderson.

Every AD has warts but we really ought to appreciate the job Hill has done on the Hill.
    Summon Seattle Ute!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    Successive hirings of Mac, Urban and KW. Inclusion in Pac 12. Majerus & Krystko. Remain relatively scandal free.

He has two big warts in Giac & Boylen, otherwise he's a gold standard among AD's.

An on campus baseball field would be the cherry on top of his career.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Successive hirings of Mac, Urban and KW. Inclusion in Pac 12. Majerus & Krystko. Remain relatively scandal free.

He has two big warts in Giac & Boylen, otherwise he's a gold standard among AD's.

An on campus baseball field would be the cherry on top of his career.
    SoCalPat will say he has a major wart re swimgate.

Hill also stayed out of the way of a great gymnastics program, and hired outstanding women's basketball and softball coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Summon Seattle Ute!
    And when he gets here tell him to pay the $100 he owes me

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    And when he gets here tell him to pay the $100 he owes me

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    If we lose to Oregon tonight, he'll show up.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post

Well, hard to argue otherwise, I suppose. Also, some might suggest he gave too much leash to the way Majerus ran the basketball program. They'd have some solid arguments there as well. But, on the whole of a 30 year career, I think he's done remarkably well.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Well, hard to argue otherwise, I suppose. Also, some might suggest he gave too much leash to the way Majerus ran the basketball program. They'd have some solid arguments there as well. But, on the whole of a 30 year career, I think he's done remarkably well.
    Agreed. And we havent really mentioned all the facilities upgrades that came with Pac 12 membership, and before (indoor football center).

Agreed. And we havent really mentioned all the facilities upgrades that came with Pac 12 membership, and before (indoor football center).
    I shudder when I think about Utah athletics prior to Hill. Basketball and gymnastics were in great shape, but the rest were in shambles. Utah athletics were on par with New Mexico/UNLV/Wyoming and maybe not as good.

All of these facts be damned! Anybody with a pulse could have done what Hill has done and he hardly deserves credit for any hire or facility upgrade. He does however deserve direct criticism and is solely responsible for any bad hire, with his one positive attribute being he is simply extraordinarily lucky.

(I'm just putting this as a placeholder for SU).

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    All of these facts be damned! Anybody with a pulse could have done what Hill has done and he hardly deserves credit for any hire or facility upgrade. He does however deserve direct criticism and is solely responsible for any bad hire, with his one positive attribute being he is simply extraordinarily lucky.

:applause:

Kevin Ollie being fired by UCONN with cause: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...ing-just-cause

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Kevin Ollie being fired by UCONN with cause: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...ing-just-cause

For cause? Ollie must not have Hurley's contract.

Georgia also prepared to part ways with Mark Fox, multiple sources reporting on ESPN.

Goes without saying. He's also bungled contracts with both Kyle and Larry as of late. But no AD goes 30 years at the same school without some mistakes. Hill has had a solid B+/A- career at Utah.

Mentioned in another thread, but Duryea officially out at USU.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Mentioned in another thread, but Duryea officially out at USU.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Better tell Utah State players to learn from Collette. It’s best to transfer to Utah now, not wait until you lose half of a season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Georgia also prepared to part ways with Mark Fox, multiple sources reporting on ESPN.
    I wonder if USU would be a good fit for Fox. He had previously had success at Nevada before jumping to Georgia.

Also, saw on the Twitter that Slocum might be a candidate at CSU.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Better tell Utah State players to learn from Collette. It’s best to transfer to Utah now, not wait until you lose half of a season.

I always maintained that Utah should have offered McEwen out of high school and his play has proven me right (at least in my opinion). So if he felt like moving on now I would not be opposed. Also, if he is able to hurry up and finish his degree this summer so he can be eligible next season....

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    I always maintained that Utah should have offered McEwen out of high school and his play has proven me right (at least in my opinion). So if he felt like moving on now I would not be opposed. Also, if he is able to hurry up and finish his degree this summer so he can be eligible next season....
    We need a PG! It felt good to completely shut that guy down when we played this season. He's not quite on the same level as Childs when it comes to recruiting misses.

Lorenzo Romar to Pepperdine.

Lorenzo Romar to Pepperdine.

Why would any D1 program hire him?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I think that is where he started.

This seems pretty accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    This seems pretty accurate.

Yeah, makes sense to me.

--Yeats

Tubby Smith likely out at Memphis so that they can hire former player and current high school coach Penny Hardaway.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    ...If he leaves, fine. I’ll hope that Hill gets as lucky as he’s been sometimes in the past when he spun that coaching hire roulette wheel...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post

Swish!

Dan Hurley officially hired at UCONN.

La Salle has fired its coach. Tim Legler, who went there, has emerged as a candidate for the job. Why is this noteworthy? Well, WSU opened against an A-10 opponent in the Wooden Classic last year, so we may get La Salle!