Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sending children on a mission

Today is the boys 19th birthday. He has been transferred again. His last two companions have been guys going home. He had a baptism schedule in the area he left. Swing and a miss.
    He continues to send home positive emails and seems to have a good attitude.

If he did any of the teaching and the baptism goes down as scheduled, I'd say count it.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

the difference a week can make
    week 32
    So I can honestly say that this week was one of the hardest of my mission.
    I won't go into to detail but lets just say I really am glad its a new week. BUT!!!!! We found some pretty cool and receptive people so we have appointments with them this next week.
    week 33
    All was fine and dandy until Elder Johnson came walking in with a scapel (sp?) and said I need some syringes for the numbing stuff. Basically what happened, My toenail has had some fungus or something under it for awhile and I didn't know. So they decided it would just be better to cut out my toenail. So the rest of the zone is in zone conference and I am off in another part of the church with one of the AP's and got my toenail yanked out, with not enough anesthesia. and yes I have pictures
    And that was pretty much my week, One of the sister companionships had a baptism this last saturday so we helped with that and we are just getting ready for another week of serving the Lord.

https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/...82769623_o.jpg This is the boys gift to himself from a tshirt maker in Chile

Quote Originally Posted by arizonaute View Post
    https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/...82769623_o.jpg This is the boys gift to himself from a tshirt maker in Chile
    thumbs-up.jpg

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

the world cup seems to slow down the ability to meet people

Even back in 1975 in Guatemala the whole country seemed to shut down (especially in the small town where I was working) during the World Cup.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Even back in 1975 in Guatemala the whole country seemed to shut down (especially in the small town where I was working) during the World Cup.
    Sheesh...you're old...did you serve with Parly P. Pratt?
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Sheesh...you're old...did you serve with Parly P. Pratt?
    He was one mission president ahead of me.

--Yeats

SO we are down to 8 days before he is coming home. The boy has been steady and no issues. Interesting how life has flown by and it still seems like yesterday we were standing in the airport.

Quote Originally Posted by arizonaute View Post
    SO we are down to 8 days before he is coming home. The boy has been steady and no issues. Interesting how life has flown by and it still seems like yesterday we were standing in the airport.
    Exciting!

--Yeats

We just dropped my second oldest off at the airport. Like his older brother before him, he will head to Utah to spend two days with my parents visiting with uncles, aunts and cousins, and then be dropped off at the MTC on Wednesday. Six weeks from Wednesday he will fly to the Philippines, Cebu mission.

This is all strangely familiar. Last night when he was set apart it rained, just as it did when his older brother was set apart nearly two years ago. Today is a Holiday—the August long weekend. His older brother also left on a Holiday—Canadian Thanksgiving Monday, nearly two years ago. This morning it's wet and muggy, just as it was almost two years ago.

My oldest returns home from Italy in exactly two months—October 2. The two brothers won't see one another for four years. I was happy, happy when the oldest left. I am equally pleased this time around, but I have to admit it was a little harder saying good bye. This leaves us with only three at home, and it's a strange feeling—a more significant change in family dynamics. He'll do well. It's a grand adventure, and I am excited for him.

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    We just dropped my second oldest off at the airport. Like his older brother before him, he will head to Utah to spend two days with my parents visiting with uncles, aunts and cousins, and then be dropped off at the MTC on Wednesday. Six weeks from Wednesday he will fly to the Philippines, Cebu mission.

This is all strangely familiar. Last night when he was set apart it rained, just as it did when his older brother was set apart nearly two years ago. Today is a Holiday—the August long weekend. His older brother also left on a Holiday—Canadian Thanksgiving Monday, nearly two years ago. This morning it's wet and muggy, just as it was almost two years ago.

My oldest returns home from Italy in exactly two months—October 2. The two brothers won't see one another for four years. I was happy, happy when the oldest left. I am equally pleased this time around, but I have to admit it was a little harder saying good bye. This leaves us with only three at home, and it's a strange feeling—a more significant change in family dynamics. He'll do well. It's a grand adventure, and I am excited for him.
    I am sure that it is very bittersweet to send a child on a mission. Best of wishes to you and your second son. How is the oldest doing?

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    I am sure that it is very bittersweet to send a child on a mission. Best of wishes to you and your second son. How is the oldest doing?
    The oldest is doing well. From his latest email: "Well, your photos of my brother leaving and of the cottage make me nostalgic for frog hunts, and I am really eager to hug mom again. Thanks for making me trunky pops hahaha. GIANT ITALIAN WATERMELON. Best part of summer. Smiles all around!"

watermellonsmile.jpg
    Last edited by tooblue; 08-06-2015 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    The oldest is doing well. From his latest email: "Well, your photos of my brother leaving and of the cottage make me nostalgic for frog hunts, and I am really eager to hug mom again. Thanks for making me trunky pops hahaha. GIANT ITALIAN WATERMELON. Best part of summer. Smiles all around!"

watermellonsmile.jpg
    Sounds as though he is having a great experience. Best wishes for both of them!

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    A kid who has been in my sunday school class for the past 3 years just received a call to the Marshall Islands. If anyone served there and loved it and wants to talk with him about it, let me know. Our ward typically only has around 0-1 missionaries out at a time, so it's kinda exciting for us.
    One of my mission companions and good friends grew up there from about 11-18 on Kwajalein.

So, we are down to exactly one month to go before my son returns home. His mission has a rule that they are permitted to attend one cultural event during their two years. Tonight he went to the Opera in Verona to see "Aida." Attached is a pic of his pre-opera meal.

preoperameal.jpg

Wow. And Wow.

Beautiful meal, and one of the greatest operas ever. Verdi plus a cast of 350 people for the win.

If my kids go on missions I will make sure they have many cultural opportunities like this.

I wonder what sort of "cultural opportunity" I could have come up with in LA. Would have been a fun challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    I wonder what sort of "cultural opportunity" I could have come up with in LA. Would have been a fun challenge.
    Watching byu get crushed by UCLA in the Rose Bowl was fun (especially after overhearing several people say, "Well at least we will beat Utah this year..." LOL.).

Phantom of the Opera at Pantages.

Dodger games.

Pre-season game BTW the LA Rams and Green Bay (with Ty Detmer).

Tour of MT Wilson Observatory.

Racing on an icy Angeles Crest Highway in the mission Corolla with a companion who fancied himself a race car driver. (His name was Jerry, and the Primus song was in my head the entire, terrifying time).

Hitching a ride with the HPGL's daughter to the Halloween night
    Oingo Boingo concert at Irvine Meadows Amphitheatre (just a bit outside the mission).

Driving in Sammie Davis, Jr's funeral procession.

'Accidentally' tracting into Bret Michael's wedding in Pasadena.

Dinner at LA's house. (Kidding)

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Watching byu get crushed by UCLA in the Rose Bowl was fun (especially after overhearing several people say, "Well at least we will beat Utah this year..." LOL.).

Phantom of the Opera at Pantages.

Dodger games.

Pre-season game BTW the LA Rams and Green Bay (with Ty Detmer).

Tour of MT Wilson Observatory.

Racing on an icy Angeles Crest Highway in the mission Corolla with a companion who fancied himself a race car driver. (His name was Jerry, and the Primus song was in my head the entire, terrifying time).

Hitching a ride with the HPGL's daughter to the Halloween night
    Oingo Boingo concert at Irvine Meadows Amphitheatre (just a bit outside the mission).

Driving in Sammie Davis, Jr's funeral procession.

'Accidentally' tracting into Bret Michael's wedding in Pasadena.

Dinner at LA's house. (Kidding)
    I got there one mission president too late. The best I got was a tour of JPL. I kept campaigning for Santa Anita Park. Couldn't make it happen.

A burger at Tommy's?

--Yeats

A burger at Tommy's?
    Chiliburger at Tommy's. My gut still hurts.

Chiliburger at Tommy's. My gut still hurts.
    Which mission were you in? I want to determine whether we might have had you over for dinner.

--Yeats

A burger at Tommy's?
    Which mission were you in? I want to determine whether we might have had you over for dinner.
    In all my time in the Arcadia mission area, I never made it to Tommy's. There's even one in Vegas, but I'm reluctant to venture since it's probably not quite the same.

In all my time in the Arcadia mission area, I never made it to Tommy's. There's even one in Vegas, but I'm reluctant to venture since it's probably not quite the same.
    What years were you there?

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

What years were you there?
    I was 90-92, Dwight Schr-Ute was ~93-95. Both in Arcadia.

I spoke Mandarin so we really covered the entire Southland, although we stayed mostly in the boundaries of Arcadia, Anaheim, and the CLAM. I never met LA, but I did have dinner a few times with my brother's future ex-fiancée a few times (in La Cañada).

I was 90-92, Dwight Schr-Ute was ~93-95. Both in Arcadia.

I spoke Mandarin so we really covered the entire Southland, although we stayed mostly in the boundaries of Arcadia, Anaheim, and the CLAM. I never met LA, but I did have dinner a few times with my brother's future ex-fiancée a few times (in La Cañada).
    My brother was there...I think 96-98.

My brother was there...I think 96-98.
    I wasn't smart or obedient, so I was English speaking. Left LA in Oct. '06.

Don't you mean '96? Otherwise you have some 'splaining to cover your almost 9-yr old...