Thread: FBI and DOJ Announce Corruption Charges in College Basketball

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    They apparently did not report it accurately. They got the wrong person. I don't think Dawkins has anything to do with Ayton. And Miller didn't direct any payments to Bowen. And he's gonna say this Dawkins guy made this request for money and he told him later to go jump in a lake. You can see where he is going with all this. He knows what is on the tape. He knows he probably said if you are talking money about my program in any way you talk to me and he's going to say he shut down Dawkins attempts to get money, because he runs a clean program and that is why Bowen didn't end up at Arizona.

I thought you were a a lawyer?

What I meant was whether the ESPN report is accurate that he was discussing payments period, whether it was Ayton or Bowen. If he was discussing payments, they are committing suicide. I thought maybe they have of way of saying he was not discussing payments with Dawkins, but something else. maybe it is ambiguous enough to be open to interpretations.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    What I meant was whether the ESPN report is accurate that he was discussing payments period, whether it was Ayton or Bowen. If he was discussing payments, they are committing suicide. I thought maybe they have of way of saying he was not discussing payments with Dawkins, but something else. maybe it is ambiguous enough to be open to interpretations.
    I’m guessing Two Utes has it right. He’s going to claim he told Dawkins to talk to him in order to stop it.

But it doesn’t answer why he magically had no clue what Book was doing, or even why he took the guys call. If you’re not paying people you just don’t bother talking to him. It’s fairly obvious every major player in basketball knew what Dawkins game was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C'mon concerned. If he quits or is fired, he is Dave Bliss. He will never work again. He carefully scripted his words and is going to make his stand and hope that tape never comes to light. He has no other reasonable choice.

And the feds haven't arrested or charged him, so the tape is obviously somewhat ambiguous. The feds are probably waiting for Book to flip in exchange for a plea deal. And if Book flips on him, Miller will claim he's a liar who is lying for the feds in exchange for a plea deal.

This is high fucking drama.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    C'mon concerned. If he quits or is fired, he is Dave Bliss. He will never work again. He carefully scripted his words and is going to make his stand and hope that tape never comes to light. He has no other reasonable choice.

And the feds haven't arrested or charged him, so the tape is obviously somewhat ambiguous. The feds are probably waiting for Book to flip in exchange for a plea deal. And if Book flips on him, Miller will claim he's a liar who is lying for the feds in exchange for a plea deal.

This is high fucking drama.
    He may have no choice but to make that stand, but why would the University? They cant gamble that the tape never comes to light, because it will. If it is incriminating as to Miller, they are committing suicide, especially after what they said last October. They must have reason to think that the tape is not incriminating (as to an NCAA violation, not necessarily as to a crime).

And as I said the other day, I saw an article that said the reason that Miller has not been charged may be that he has not committed a crime. An NCAA violation, but not a crime, even if Ayton or Bowen got paid. The assts got charged becasue they took money for themselves. No evidence that Miller has. (At least that is what I read; cant vouch for its accuracy).

He may have no choice but to make that stand, but why would the University? They cant gamble that the tape never comes to light, because it will. If it is incriminating as to Miller, they are committing suicide, especially after what they said last October. They must have reason to think that the tape is not incriminating (as to an NCAA violation, not necessarily as to a crime).

And as I said the other day, I saw an article that said the reason that Miller has not been charged may be that he has not committed a crime. An NCAA violation, but not a crime, even if Ayton or Bowen got paid. The assts got charged becasue they took money for themselves. No evidence that Miller has. (At least that is what I read; cant vouch for its accuracy).
    Well, Arizona’s board of regents hasn’t even met yet. Their meeting about Miller is this afternoon....sort of odd the press conference was before that isn’t it?

My guess is there is turmoil going on and people are doing things they maybe shouldn’t be doing

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Well, Arizona’s board of regents hasn’t even met yet. Their meeting about Miller is this afternoon....sort of odd the press conference was before that isn’t it?

My guess is there is turmoil going on and people are doing things they maybe shouldn’t be doing

so that press conference had to be designed to force the board of regents not to do anything. We will see.

as much as I dislike UA's hoops program, I wish the PAC-12 wasn't involved at all. And the fact that the Wildcats are the headliner is depressing.

Former USC Coach Pleads Guilty in Basketball Corruption Case

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ntent=business

I wonder if he made a deal to testify against anyone else? The article is silent about that.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell