Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Larry Krystkowiak Thread

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Markham is reporting that Slocum is the glue guy and is the guy that mediates between larry and the players. If he leaves, I could see more transfers. I mean, at this point, why not?
    If there are mass transfers, a good lawyer should be able to find termination for cause grounds somewhere in the debacle, nixing the buyout or making a negotiation of a substantial discount possible.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    If there are mass transfers, a good lawyer should be able to find termination for cause grounds somewhere in the debacle, nixing the buyout or making a negotiation of a substantial discount possible.
    I thought you made it clear yesterday, you weren't calling for Larry's head?

Anyone know a good lawyer?

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    I don't. I only know lawyers who post on message boards all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    I thought you made it clear yesterday, you weren't calling for Larry's head?

To be fair, he did qualify the whole statement with "IF." That's how you know he's a good lawyer.

Ute center Jayce Johnson is in the NCAA transfer portal, with one season left to play

Utah starting center Jayce Johnson is in the NCAA transfer portal, ESPN and other outlets reported Tuesday.

The 7-foot center, who averaged 7.1 points and a team-high 7.7 rebounds this past season, is said to be weary of Larry Krystkowiak’s demanding style of coaching and would like a bigger offensive role, The Salt Lake Tribune has learned.
    Interesting bit about LK's "demanding style of coaching." I don't know what to make of that.

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-u...jayce-johnson/

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Ute center Jayce Johnson is in the NCAA transfer portal, with one season left to play

Interesting bit about LK's "demanding style of coaching." I don't know what to make of that.

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-u...jayce-johnson/
    I think its pretty clear; we have a coach that won't kowtow to kids trying to make his way in the AAU generation. We have seen a number of guys reacher higher highs than most thought they could get under him and guys who simply couldn't/wouldn't deal with it.

I mean, "would like a bigger offensive role"...........sure.............who doesn't? Thats not really a larry issue; hes proven time and again that if the center is worthy, he is happy to run the whole offense through him.

Jayce wants a bigger offensive role? I am sure there is nothing the staff would have liked more. Jayce isn't competent on offense. It is not like anyone is holding him back.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Jayce wants a bigger offensive role? I am sure there is nothing the staff would have liked more. Jayce isn't competent on offense. It is not like anyone is holding him back.
    Absolutely true.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I think Jayce probably wanted more perimeter opportunities. You can tell by his free throw form that it would translate seamlessly with amazing results.

Hope springs eternal

Bronek Wawrzynczuk@EurospectsFollowFollow
    @Eurospects

Big fan of Mikael Jantunen game. Elite rebounder with solid upper & lower frame. Ok athlete, excellent IQ, good court vision and even some switchability. Well rounded and team oriented. PF but truly positionless player. Reminds a bit of Luke Sikma. Jumper still coming along

Bronek Wawrzynczuk @Eurospects
    After watching HBA Marsky practise yesterday, now checking best Finnish talents in game situation in domestic 2nd tier. Plenty of college recruits headlined by Utah commit: Mikael Jantunen and Ville Tahvanainen (Bradley).…

Jayce wants a bigger offensive role? I am sure there is nothing the staff would have liked more. Jayce isn't competent on
    offense. It is not like anyone is holding him back.
    As a missionary in Peru, I could score on every possession against the very short Peruvians. Maybe Jayce needs to transfer to South America.

I actually think Jayce reached a point this season where it was reasonable to give him the ball in the post a few times per game. He's not about to start commanding double teams down there, though.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I think its pretty clear; we have a coach that won't kowtow to kids trying to make his way in the AAU generation. We have seen a number of guys reacher higher highs than most thought they could get under him and guys who simply couldn't/wouldn't deal with it.
    I'd like to see what this means, because, as I've said before, Larry is softer on his players in game than Hopkins or Miller. I can't remember him really laying into anyone all season long. Maybe an occasional glare or something.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I'd like to see what this means, because, as I've said before, Larry is softer on his players in game than Hopkins or Miller. I can't remember him really laying into anyone all season long. Maybe an occasional glare or something.
    Some of it has to be the notion of him "running off players." He had that exchange with Vante Hendrix during the Hawaii game, and Hendrix transferred right after that.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Some of it has to be the notion of him "running off players." He had that exchange with Vante Hendrix during the Hawaii game, and Hendrix transferred right after that.
    Vante got a T for talking to a ref—-he had to say something to him, & from TV it did not appear that he said very much; maybe it was in the locker room.

Izzo & Big Rick when he was here are/were tough on their players.
    Last edited by Old Standing ute; 04-10-2019 at 02:55 PM. Reason: typo

Most kids can take hard coaching so long as they know that the coach has their back and is working for their betterment. I heard Whit say on many, many times to those on the staff about the team in general as well as specific players. Coach them hard when we are winning or they are having personal success and love them up when they are not. Maybe Larry just doesn't take the time or have the ability to develop the level of trust required by some players in order to push them the way he thinks he thinks he can.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Maybe Larry just doesn't take the time or have the ability to develop the level of trust required by some players in order to push them the way he thinks he thinks he can.
    Yeah, maybe. I'm just saying that all the hard stuff must be behind closed doors because we don't really see it during games like we do with other coaches.

It's been a 2-3 years, but I did attend some practices and Larry was forceful on occasion but not hard on the players. No yelling, no profanity, nothing like that.

--Yeats

Take Kragthorpe's comments with a grain of salt. He used the terms "is said to be. . ." and "the Trib has learned" when talking about Larry being demanding, and Jayce wanting a bigger offensive role. Just rumors and speculation, nothing about a source. May or may not be true, so don't get the pitchforks out just yet.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

At the Syracuse news conference here at the NCAA tournament, players & Boeheim were asked repeatedly about a player who had just been suspended for the upcoming game because of team rule violation—Kragthorpe was there & reported the next day the player would not play due to an injury.?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    At the Syracuse news conference here at the NCAA tournament, players & Boeheim were asked repeatedly about a player who had just been suspended for the upcoming game because of team rule violation—Kragthorpe was there & reported the next day the player would not play due to an injury.?
    Huh, he must have been mixed up? The starting PG for the 'cuse was suspended, and it was is 2nd suspension of the season for rules violations.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Take Kragthorpe's comments with a grain of salt. He used the terms "is said to be. . ." and "the Trib has learned" when talking about Larry being demanding, and Jayce wanting a bigger offensive role. Just rumors and speculation, nothing about a source. May or may not be true, so don't get the pitchforks out just yet.
    I'm almost 100% sure Kurt got that from jayce's dad.

Huh, he must have been mixed up? The starting PG for the 'cuse was suspended, and it was is 2nd suspension of the season for rules violations.
    mixed up? He made it up .

not sure he checks his facts—.or sources.

I don't. I only know lawyers who post on message boards all day.
    Who are you talking about? You're the one who spends all day here. So what does that make whatever you are?
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Who are you talking about? You're the one who spends all day here. So what does that make whatever you are?
    Me? I'm a bum.

Me? I'm a bum.
    I'm a bum too

If Jayce was better than his career 49 percent from the line, while not coming off a career season-worst 40 percent, he might have more room to complain about his role in the offense.

The Fire Larry Krystkowiak Thread

Kurt Kragthorpe:

Ute athletic director Mark Harlan is ‘very bullish’ about Larry Krystkowiak’s basketball program, labeling him ‘an elite coach’

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-u...etic-director/

Hmmmm.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 04-14-2019 at 08:30 AM.

--Yeats

Kurt Kragthorpe:

Ute athletic director Mark Harlan is ‘very bullish’ about Larry Krystkowiak’s basketball program, labeling him ‘an elite coach’

Hmmmm.
    I have not listened to the interview but reports are that LK and Harlan and in a defensive posture. I think they both know the natives are restless. I am ready for him to leave, but he probably knows there needs to be clear progress this year. What that means I can't say. Top tier NIT seed probably does
    it, but to me that is too little too late.

Kurt Kragthorpe:

Hmmmm.
    This kind of statement from the AD always means that the coach is on the hot seat.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

The big donors (I am not one) are surely expressing unhappiness about LK to Harlan. I have had only a couple of short encounters with Mark, but he is very candid and direct. I’m sure Larry knows exactly what Mark thinks..

--Yeats