Thread: Orange Defends the Crown. 2016 NFL season.

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Now that college football is over, it's time to switch to the B-side. NFL playoff rooting guide:

1. Chiefs. There is no player in these playoffs more deserving than Alex Smith. There is no coach more deserving than Andy Reid.
    2. Cowboys. Rookie RB/QB winning it all could be one of the greatest stories in NFL history. Garrett is 2nd on the most deserving list.
    3. Packers. Who would complain about an Alex Smith/Aaron Rodgers superbowl?
    4. Steelers. At least they are exciting.
    5. Seahawks. Ball sails 10 feet over WR's head in first quarter on first down. DB reacts as if he just broke up a pass to win the Superbowl. Repeat for 2 hours.
    6. Texans. Meh.
    7. Falcons. So boring.
    8. Patriots. No Gronk? Who am I watching this game for, then?
    Well, we ended up with one of the least compelling Superbowl matchups possible out of that group. There is zero buzz in the air for this game.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Well, we ended up with one of the least compelling Superbowl matchups possible out of that group. There is zero buzz in the air for this game.

I dont understand why. I think the deflategate theme is compelling. I want the Patriots to win just to see them stick it to Goodell post game.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I dont understand why. I think the deflategate theme is compelling. I want the Patriots to win just to see them stick it to Goodell post game.
    I think that is the storyline that is getting the most push, and I just don't think people find it compelling. Revenge stories usually aren't as strong as redemption stories or glory stories. And, in this case, the revenge is for something that really didn't hurt the Patriots anyway.

It feels like there are no famous characters to love or hate in this game. Matt Ryan? Malcolm Butler? Julio Jones? All kinda bland. Brady is already established as a pantheon QB, win or lose. Gronk is out, so they show him in the press box every other minute. It's just a couple of very good, somewhat boring teams.