Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The 2018 "Why Is That Team On TV?" NIT Tournament Thread

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Here we go. LSU Tigers.

Kenpom has them #61, Utah #67. Sagarin has Utah #59, LSU #68.

LSU has wins against tournament teams Michigan, Houston, A&M (twice), Mizzou, Arkansas (twice). Enough good wins to be a tournament team. Most of their losses were to tournament teams or bubble teams, but they did lose to UGa (twice), Vandy, and S Carolina as well.

They have a 9-man rotation. Three players average double digit scoring. They have 7 players shooting 34% or better from outside.

Waters is the star - he's a 5'11'' guard getting 16 ppg, 3.4 rpg, and 5.9 apg. Reath is the big - getting 12.7 ppg, 5.4 rpg, and shooting 55% from the floor and 43% from outside.
    If LSU sweeps Georgia instead of vice-versa, this is a tournament team. They've got more high moments than Utah, but more bad losses, too. We're 4.5-point favorites, which is probably right, given LSU hasn't won a road game since January, and has lost eight straight. Strangely enough, it won it's first four, including games at Michigan and TAMU.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    If LSU sweeps Georgia instead of vice-versa, this is a tournament team. They've got more high moments than Utah, but more bad losses, too. We're 4.5-point favorites, which is probably right, given LSU hasn't won a road game since January, and has lost eight straight. Strangely enough, it won it's first four, including games at Michigan and TAMU.
    these games are so hard to read. Utah looked both good and pathetic at times against UC Davis. Maybe Larry needs to throw a chair during the pre-game just to ensure we get a full effort from the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    these games are so hard to read. Utah looked both good and pathetic at times against UC Davis. Maybe Larry needs to throw a chair during the pre-game just to ensure we get a full effort from the tip.
    Let's all throw a chair at 6:45 tonight.

This is for good luck tonight:

Attached Images Attached Images

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Utes should've just done this all year...way more fun.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Utes should've just done this all year...way more fun.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    utes are Rollin, the only unanswered question is whether BYU could make it past half court

Pull 'em, Larry. It's jokl time.

Pull 'em, Larry. It's jokl time.
    Well this was fun.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

St Mary's fans are jacked about the nit.

That was a fun game. Sat in Section W, Row 5 (front) and got some good views.

Well, Washington lost to SMC 81-85. I guess I just attended our last home-game of the season. Let's go beat SMC.

Down go the Trojans!

Utes last Pac-12 team still playing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post

Not a great year for the PAC 12 in both football and basketball. Yikes.

So can we overcome our recent St. Mary’s curse? They’ve lost only one game at home all season, against Gonzaga. How do we match up against them? Sure would be nice to get a good post-season win.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post

Stupid pac12; we always have to clean up their mess.

There is no justifiably good idea that comes from this. Your starters' bad habits that get them into foul trouble aren't really addressed, and your bench players that would come in for a foul-plagued starter get less floor time and development. More fouls, more foul shots, more dragging out of games. No thanks.
    I guess you are okay with watching kids sit for huge portions of the game. Of course, the refs don't ever screw up, right?

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    So can we overcome our recent St. Mary’s curse? They’ve lost only one game at home all season, against Gonzaga. How do we match up against them? Sure would be nice to get a good post-season win.
    It's not a St. Mary's curse, but a WCC curse. Pretty sure we've lost our last four against teams from that league (Gonzaga, St. Mary's, BYU, San Francisco).

Quote Originally Posted by snafu View Post
    I guess you are okay with watching kids sit for huge portions of the game. Of course, the refs don't ever screw up, right?
    Foul trouble has been part of the game since rules were drawn up. If kids sitting is what's driving this, then just drop the charade and give them unlimited fouls.

Foul trouble has been part of the game since rules were drawn up. If kids sitting is what's driving this, then just drop the charade and give them unlimited fouls.
    They should just do 2 shots and the ball for every foul past 5.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

It's not a St. Mary's curse, but a WCC curse. Pretty sure we've lost our last four against teams from that league (Gonzaga, St. Mary's, BYU, San Francisco).
    Kenpom/Sagarin have St Mary's rated much higher than us (30 or so vs 60 or so).

Wasn't there once a rumor that we negotiated with Randy Bennet, but he turned us down? I wonder (if the rumor is true) whether or not he regrets that. Larry makes soooooo much money. That could have been Randy's $$$.

Kenpom/Sagarin have St Mary's rated much higher than us (30 or so vs 60 or so).

Wasn't there once a rumor that we negotiated with Randy Bennet, but he turned us down? I wonder (if the rumor is true) whether or not he regrets that. Larry makes soooooo much money. That could have been Randy's $$$.
    I think it was more than a rumor. IIRC, it was fairly well acknowledged at the time. He has turned down lots of other jobs, so who knows if he regrets it.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I think it was more than a rumor. IIRC, it was fairly well acknowledged at the time. He has turned down lots of other jobs, so who knows if he regrets it.
    Chris Hill called him (or maybe his agent) and had a conversation or two. My sense is that it never got serious. I think anything else that has been said about those discussions has to be considered rumor.

--Yeats

Chris Hill called him (or maybe his agent) and had a conversation or two. My sense is that it never got serious. I think anything else that has been said about those discussions has to be considered rumor.

he was our first choice

I got curious so I went back and googled it. I forgot that good ole JazzyUte broke the story and all hell broke loose. But it got serious enough that Bennett turned down an offer.

https://www.blocku.com/2011/3/23/206...-down-utah-job

http://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/smc...t-says-no-utah
    Last edited by concerned; 03-21-2018 at 11:00 AM.

he was our first choice

I got curious so I went back and googled it. I forgot that good ole JazzyUte broke the story and all hell broke loose. But it got serious enough that Bennett turned down an offer.

https://www.blocku.com/2011/3/23/206...-down-utah-job

http://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/smc...t-says-no-utah
    Could be. I don't know. (BTW, I have no confidence - none - in Jazzy as a source of information. He had that blog taken away from him because of his antics.) I do recall Comrade Crimson going nuts over that and claiming to have inside info that Hill did something wrong and offended Bennett. That was a wild time.

I do recall that at that time all the information about this was coming from Bennett's agent. As for the NCB Sports report, Chris Hill's son goes by Christopher and was at that time working for the U. Maybe Christoper was actually the guest at that hotel. Chris registered using his son's name. (Cue suspenseful background music here.)

BTW, a Google search of "Randy Bennett job offers" shows that since the 2011 fiasco with Utah he has turned down Cal and UNLV, and last fall signed a new 10-year contract with St. Mary's. FWIW. Also FWIW, everything I've ever heard from people close to Chris Hill is that Krysko was always his first choice. That infuriates some people but it may well be true.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 03-21-2018 at 11:53 AM.

--Yeats

Could be. I don't know. (BTW, I have no confidence - none - in Jazzy as a source of information. He had that blog taken away from him because of his antics.) I do recall Comrade Crimson going nuts over that and claiming to have inside info that Hill did something wrong and offended Bennett. That was a wild time.

BTW, a Google search of "Randy Bennett job offers" shows that since the 2011 fiasco with Utah he has turned down Cal and UNLV, and last fall signed a new 10-year contract with St. Mary's. FWIW.

IIRC, we didnt offer Bennett enough money. He felt lowballed.

IIRC, we didnt offer Bennett enough money. He felt lowballed.
    Right! I forgot that narrative. Comrade Crimson swore that it was true. But I also recall that it was Bennett's agent who was pushing that narrative.

--Yeats

BTW, a Google search of "Randy Bennett job offers" shows that since the 2011 fiasco with Utah he has turned down Cal and UNLV, and last fall signed a new 10-year contract with St. Mary's. FWIW.
    Would it surprise anyone if Jazzy was getting his stuff from Uf.n or from self-proclaimed insiders on utezone?

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Would it surprise anyone if Jazzy was getting his stuff from Uf.n or from self-proclaimed insiders on utezone?
    Not me.

--Yeats

I don't think Jazzy had the entire story. No question Bennett was on Chris' list but Larry was number one just as he had been a few years before when Boylen was eventually hired.