Thread: The Kyle Kuzma Thread

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Do you guys think Larry wonders (privately or not) if he under-utilized Kuzma?
    This doesn’t necessarily answer your question, but there was an interesting interview with Draymond Green posted today.

He is asked about Lebron and quickly changes the subject to Kuzma.

He said he’s watch Kuz for a long time, and you could see the flashes in college when it was obvious he had the ability....but he said you could also see the times when Kuz “wasn’t interested”.

I think we all saw the type of player Kuz can be when he’s on....but I don’t know that any coach could coax that out of Kuz for long periods. Seems the switch clicked on during the draft process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    This doesn’t necessarily answer your question, but there was an interesting interview with Draymond Green posted today.

He is asked about Lebron and quickly changes the subject to Kuzma.

He said he’s watch Kuz for a long time, and you could see the flashes in college when it was obvious he had the ability....but he said you could also see the times when Kuz “wasn’t interested”.

I think we all saw the type of player Kuz can be when he’s on....but I don’t know that any coach could coax that out of Kuz for long periods. Seems the switch clicked on during the draft process.

I always thought he was a headcase. Would make a great play, then a boneheaded play. Never showed a will to win, never seemed like much of a leader. Never shot that well from 3. I thought he would get drafted in the second round then sit toward the end of the bench for a couple of years. What do I know.

I'm skeptical that Draymond Green was closely following Kuzma in college. I also don't really buy the "lazy Kuz" story. He was completely hopeless as a freshman, and he improved each year. He earned his spot as a sophomore by working hard on defense and rebounding. It was always clear he wanted to shoot threes, and I'm sure he worked hard on his shot. His percentage improved each season.

He never had a great PG, and last season in particular he was surrounded by mediocrity. He's got Ball now, and he can play his natural position for the Lakers.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I'm skeptical that Draymond Green was closely following Kuzma in college. I also don't really buy the "lazy Kuz" story. He was completely hopeless as a freshman, and he improved each year. He earned his spot as a sophomore by working hard on defense and rebounding. It was always clear he wanted to shoot threes, and I'm sure he worked hard on his shot. His percentage improved each season.

He never had a great PG, and last season in particular he was surrounded by mediocrity. He's got Ball now, and he can play his natural position for the Lakers.
    Draymond is from Saginaw, Michigan, a 35 minute drive from Flint.

Fairly certain Draymond knew of and followed Kuz even before college.

Kuz 3 point shooting has skyrocketed so far in the NBA. In college he never shot above 32% which he did both his freshman and junior years, his sophomore year was very poor.

The biggest improvements to Kuz game in college came in rebounding, he jumped 4 a game his final year.

Draymond is from Saginaw, Michigan, a 35 minute drive from Flint.

Fairly certain Draymond knew of and followed Kuz even before college.
    Yeah, I was aware of this. I still bet I watched way more Kuzma at the U than Dray. I don't think I missed any games.

Anyway, the point is that lazy isn't really a term that applied to Kuzma in college.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Yeah, I was aware of this. I still bet I watched way more Kuzma at the U than Dray. I don't think I missed any games.

Anyway, the point is that lazy isn't really a term that applied to Kuzma in college.
    He didn’t call him lazy. He said there were stretches where he wasn’t interested.

I watched as much Kuz as you, and I think it’s a pretty accurate description. To say Kuz brought it every game would be far from accurate

To say Kuz brought it every game would be far from accurate
    Not that far. The man worked hard for three years. I suppose nobody compares to Draymond for in-game effort, but Kuzma was not a slacker.

He didn’t call him lazy. He said there were stretches where he wasn’t interested.

I watched as much Kuz as you, and I think it’s a pretty accurate description. To say Kuz brought it every game would be far from accurate
    I remember Kuz had conditioning / elevation adjustment issues, used to get gassed, especially for being pretty skinny, in the first year or two. Though he's a lot stronger and in better shape, I'll bet he really, REALLY wouldn't appreciate a trade to the Jazz or Nuggets, lol.