Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2015 recruiting class - already full?

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I can't find anything about his recommitting to Missouri anywhere. Where did you see it?
    This is per @JoshGershon of Scout.com

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    This is per @JoshGershon of Scout.com
    And it's 100 percent gospel.

Something's rotten in all of this. The kid gets his LOI, and mind you, Mizzou has to grant it. So Mizzou figures Namon is gone. And with such a short time in SLC, he re-commits to Mizzou, which has a new HC and one that didn't recruit him at all during his prep days.

Our staff has to be either totally blindsided by this news, or they badly misjudged Namon's interest in Utah. I'm inclined to go with the former.

"Thank you to all the coaches who've been apart of this process, but I'm a Tiger baby. I've decided to re-commit to the ZOU!"

https://twitter.com/kharyw/status/467332074299330560

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Bear with me, I'm still trying to figure out how this all could have gone down. Here's what (I think) we know:

-Namon Wright played with Brandon Taylor in high school.
    -Utah tried to recruit Namon but never seemed to get too strong of consideration from him in the first go-round.
    -Namon signed with Missouri in November, at a time when Mizzou would have probably seemed like a superior option to a neutral observer.
    -Frank Haith, the coach who Namon signed with at Missouri, accepted the job at Tulsa on or around April 18th.
    -Missouri hired Kim Anderson to replace Haith on or around April 28th.
    -Princeton Onwas is announced to be leaving Utah on April 27th.
    -Shortly after Onwas is out, rumors surface linking Namon to Utah.
    -On May 8th, Namon tweets that he has received permission to talk to other schools.
    -On May 13-14th Namon visits Utah and receives his full release from Missouri.

Things I think we can assume:
    -Between April 27th and the visit, Brandon Taylor must have been in Namon's ear (they have a previous relationship so I don't think this violates any rules, but if it does then Taylor could have just as easily used their high school coach to communicate) about coming to Utah. I am confident Namon received the full pitch prior to his release and visit.
    -Before that pitch from Taylor to Namon, Namon must have given some indication that he was having second thoughts about Missouri, presumably due to the coaching change and the hire of a relatively unknown replacement.
    -Between the hire of Mizzou's new coach on April 28th and Namon's visit on the 13th, Missouri must have given him their sales pitch (several times over) in order to quell his fears and convince him not to get released from the LOI.
    -Namon had to have known a lot was at stake for Missouri for him to get out of the LOI. He risks alienating his coach, teammates and fans by messing around with that if he's not serious about attending a different school, so I think we can rule out the possibility that he was simply visiting Utah as a courtesy or favor to Brandon Taylor.

So I think given the timing of the events and the Brandon Taylor connection, Namon must have had a lot of positivity about being a Ute (or at least not being a Tiger) for him to get the release and take the visit. He had a lot of information about what the program was like and still basically set Mizzou aside in order to come check it out.

Here's what I want to know:

-Was Onwas' departure related to the prospect of bringing in Namon (you can make a strong case that it was based on the fact that it happened so late in the process and even though Marko hadn't officially left yet nobody expected him back in light of Poeltl's signing)?
    -What in the holy hell happened on that trip (or subsequent to that trip) that made Namon, with all the information he had at that time and all the effort he had to go through to get released from Mizzou, recommit within 24 hours? Missouri had weeks to sell him on sticking with them and suddenly they hit the right note as soon as he got his release and took a visit? I don't get it.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just baffled by this whole thing.

Having said all that, I hope Utah takes a hard look at senior transfers. The 2014-15 season is NCAA or bust so Utah should use all of its possible resources to go "all in" on this season. Plus, I think you need something to help justify not having Onwas on the roster. Leaving that scholarship open is just a glaring reminder of this whole Onwas/Namon mess.

I get the need to have open scholarships for the next class (where in reality we probably want to sign four players), which is why a senior transfer that can play next year and then move on is ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    And it's 100 percent gospel.

Something's rotten in all of this. The kid gets his LOI, and mind you, Mizzou has to grant it. So Mizzou figures Namon is gone. And with such a short time in SLC, he re-commits to Mizzou, which has a new HC and one that didn't recruit him at all during his prep days.

Our staff has to be either totally blindsided by this news, or they badly misjudged Namon's interest in Utah. I'm inclined to go with the former.
    This really sucks. Sitting on the schollie doesnt do us any good compared to retaining princeton onwas. I think we were holding an ACME dynamite kit and it blew up in our face.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Having said all that, I hope Utah takes a hard look at senior transfers. The 2014-15 season is NCAA or bust so Utah should use all of its possible resources to go "all in" on this season. Plus, I think you need something to help justify not having Onwas on the roster. Leaving that scholarship open is just a glaring reminder of this whole Onwas/Namon mess.

I get the need to have open scholarships for the next class (where in reality we probably want to sign four players), which is why a senior transfer that can play next year and then move on is ideal.
    That is the only route that in my mind, would allow us to save face. It is awfully late in the process at this point, but you never know. Is there a list of, for lack of a better term, matt carlinos out there?

I obviously have no real insight, but I wonder if Anderson has done a good job re-selling him on Mizzou, to the extent that he had essentially decided to stay with them before he tripped, but he wanted to see Taylor and felt like he owed it to the coaches to come out even though he had essentially made up his mind at that point.

This really sucks. Sitting on the schollie doesnt do us any good compared to retaining princeton onwas. I think we were holding an ACME dynamite kit and it blew up in our face.
    Which is why I wonder if Prince left on his own. If not, the timeline just doesn't add up.

Princeton wasn’t booted to make room for Namon, he was booted for “other reasons”…. The staff made the right decision (regardless of if we get anyone to come in or not) on this one, trust me.

If this is the case, you should change your handle to "411ute". LOL

Quote Originally Posted by 311ute View Post
    Princeton wasn’t booted to make room for Namon, he was booted for “other reasons”…. The staff made the right decision (regardless of if we get anyone to come in or not) on this one, trust me.

-What in the holy hell happened on that trip (or subsequent to that trip) that made Namon, with all the information he had at that time and all the effort he had to go through to get released from Mizzou, recommit within 24 hours? Missouri had weeks to sell him on sticking with them and suddenly they hit the right note as soon as he got his release and took a visit? I don't get it.

That's the $64,000 question. I'd bet over 90 percent of the time a release from the LOI is granted, the school issuing it is saying goodbye to the recruit. And I'd hardly be surprised if my figure is a conservative one.

Bear with me, I'm still trying to figure out how this all could have gone down. Here's what (I think) we know:

Maybe he just realized he was destined for a life of Missouri.

I don't even know what the hell that means.

Quote Originally Posted by 311ute View Post
    Now this I had not heard. Lol. Perhaps, I have spoken too soon. Somedays, I really miss my twitter account when folks would DM me with breaking ute news or other tidbits.

Makol Mawien, Tres Tinkle, and Brock Miller. Without a doubt, more names will surface. But right now, if we do not land Wright and we land Tinkle and Mawien with Miller and Togiai as sign and sends, then we will have done extremely well. Stay tuned!
    Wayne Tinkle in as new coach at OSU. Rats. I was really hoping we'd land Tres.

You know who else is probably bummed at this news? Tres.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

-Namon Wright played with Brandon Taylor in high school.
    -Utah tried to recruit Namon but never seemed to get too strong of consideration from him in the first go-round.
    -Namon signed with Missouri in November, at a time when Mizzou would have probably seemed like a superior option to a neutral observer.
    -Frank Haith, the coach who Namon signed with at Missouri, accepted the job at Tulsa on or around April 18th.
    -Missouri hired Kim Anderson to replace Haith on or around April 28th.
    -Princeton Onwas is announced to be leaving Utah on April 27th.
    -Shortly after Onwas is out, rumors surface linking Namon to Utah.
    -On May 8th, Namon tweets that he has received permission to talk to other schools.
    -On May 13-14th Namon visits Utah and receives his full release from Missouri.

Things I think we can assume:
    -Between April 27th and the visit, Brandon Taylor must have been in Namon's ear (they have a previous relationship so I don't think this violates any rules, but if it does then Taylor could have just as easily used their high school coach to communicate) about coming to Utah. I am confident Namon received the full pitch prior to his release and visit.
    -Before that pitch from Taylor to Namon, Namon must have given some indication that he was having second thoughts about Missouri, presumably due to the coaching change and the hire of a relatively unknown replacement.
    -Between the hire of Mizzou's new coach on April 28th and Namon's visit on the 13th, Missouri must have given him their sales pitch (several times over) in order to quell his fears and convince him not to get released from the LOI.
    -Namon had to have known a lot was at stake for Missouri for him to get out of the LOI. He risks alienating his coach, teammates and fans by messing around with that if he's not serious about attending a different school, so I think we can rule out the possibility that he was simply visiting Utah as a courtesy or favor to Brandon Taylor.

So I think given the timing of the events and the Brandon Taylor connection, Namon must have had a lot of positivity about being a Ute (or at least not being a Tiger) for him to get the release and take the visit. He had a lot of information about what the program was like and still basically set Mizzou aside in order to come check it out.

Here's what I want to know:

-Was Onwas' departure related to the prospect of bringing in Namon (you can make a strong case that it was based on the fact that it happened so late in the process and even though Marko hadn't officially left yet nobody expected him back in light of Poeltl's signing)?

It must have been the practice facility.
    Last edited by SeattleUte; 05-18-2014 at 11:25 PM.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Maybe he just realized he was destined for a life of Missouri.

I don't even know what the hell that means.
    Maybe he wants to be n the right place at the right time for the second coming.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Maybe he wants to be n the right place at the right time for the second coming.
    That would save the hassle of walking back to Missouri.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Wayne Tinkle in as new coach at OSU. Rats. I was really hoping we'd land Tres.

You know who else is probably bummed at this news? Tres.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
    Dang. I really thought we had a great chance at him.

I guess now we go all in on bringing Mawien to Utah.

I guess now we go all in on bringing Mawien to Utah.
    I kind of assumed that effort was going on anyway, regardless of Tres.

Quote Originally Posted by FountainOfUte View Post
    I kind of assumed that effort was going on anyway, regardless of Tres.
    My personal efforts - consisting of positive vibes - were going to both. Now they are focused on Mawien until I hear another name.

My personal efforts - consisting of positive vibes - were going to both. Now they are focused on Mawien until I hear another name.
    This. What you said.

Can you hold your lucky button while emitting those vibes? I think it might help.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Light the U reporting that 2015 grad Nico Clareth has been offered.

Balitmore kid, has an offer from USC and Charleston too.

--Yeats

He appears to have a terrific release and touch. Knows how to use the glass -- one of the many tell-tale signs to me for understanding the game. His recruitment should be interesting in that he also seems to have offers from SMU (making a big splash), Tennessee, UNLV, and Virginia Tech.

It's interesting to me to how geographically wide-ranging Krysko's recruiting seems to be.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    He appears to have a terrific release and touch. Knows how to use the glass -- one of the many tell-tale signs to me for understanding the game. His recruitment should be interesting in that he also seems to have offers from SMU (making a big splash), Tennessee, UNLV, and Virginia Tech.
    He plays on a Nike-sponsored AAU team, which means at best we're slight underdogs to get him. Add to the fact our last two kids from the DC area transferred out of the program after one year, and I would say we're huge underdogs to land this kid.

His style reminds me of CJ Wilcox.

Agreed.

He plays on a Nike-sponsored AAU team, which means at best we're slight underdogs to get him. Add to the fact our last two kids from the DC area transferred out of the program after one year, and I would say we're huge underdogs to land this kid.

This looks to me like the comment of a self-hating Ute fan.

(I kid, I kid.)

--Yeats