Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Utes in the NFL

I've never been much into fantasy football, but how well would a mostly Ute alumni team have done this week?

Matt Asiata- 3 TDs on 78 yards

Steve Smith- 2 TDs on 7 receptions for 139 yards

Alex Smith- 3 TDs on 248 yards passing (still in the 4th quarter)
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 09-29-2014 at 09:10 PM.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

One of my favorite things written about Steve Smith last week (before the game)

RAVENS (-3) over Panthers
    Steve Smith Steve Smith Steve Smith Steve Smith Steve Smith Steve Smith Steve Smith Steve Smith. I honestly think the Panthers are probably a better team than the Ravens, but there is no possible way I could bring myself to bet against Smith facing the Panthers. If they lose or don’t cover, whatever, that’ll happen. But if I take the Panthers, I know the Ravens are going to take the ball first, and Smith is going to come onto the field and catch a slant and lay out somebody trying to tackle him, and he’s going to get up and win a fistfight with the entire Carolina organization, and I’m going to feel very stupid about betting on the Panthers with 59 minutes to go in the game.
    Let me tell you a story. During my year living in Vegas, I played a fair amount of poker. One day, I was playing at Mandalay Bay and talking to the guy next to me, who eventually revealed he had played wideout on the same junior college team (Santa Monica College) as Smith and Chad Johnson, then Chad Ochocinco. Somebody at the table asked him about Ochocinco and he had nothing but hilarious stories to tell about Ochocinco goofing around and having fun.
    I asked him about Smith, though, and the man’s brow immediately furrowed. His smile disappeared. He told me a story of getting into an argument with Smith over some long-forgotten situation where he was in the right. The poker player was a younger man then, and as many of us were as young men, he got very obstinate about being in the right and was willing to turn an otherwise irrelevant slight into a fight. He got to the point where he was about ready to throw down … at which point Smith escalated the tension about 10 levels beyond anything my man could have ever generated at his most wronged. He looked into Smith’s eyes and saw a rage he could never hope to match. In sheer self-preservation mode, he apologized to Smith and got as far away as possible. It was a lot like thehigh school bully scene from Louie, only with one Steve Smith instead of a bunch of high schoolers.5
    As he finished the story, I laughed in support of the guy’s situation and said knowingly, “I guess you don’t fuck with Steve Smith.” He looked at me with great sincerity, as if to warn me out of even the slightest possible hint of serious interest in the pursuit, and said very clearly: “Do not fuck with Steve Smith.”
    The Panthers fucked with Steve Smith.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Rumors on twitter yesterday had Jake Murphy signing with Miami's practice squad. Hopefully it's true. I've always maintained that Jake, with his degree and famous father (I hear his had played a professional sport but I can't quite recall which....), will be just fine in life without an NFL career and that he didn't stand to gain much personally by staying for his senior season. But I'm sure it would still be great for him to at least have a cup of postum in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Rumors on twitter yesterday had Jake Murphy signing with Miami's practice squad. Hopefully it's true. I've always maintained that Jake, with his degree and famous father (I hear his had played a professional sport but I can't quite recall which....), will be just fine in life without an NFL career and that he didn't stand to gain much personally by staying for his senior season. But I'm sure it would still be great for him to at least have a cup of postum in the NFL.
    I know his brother in law. I will find out and report.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    That story alone should get him into the HOF.

Seriously, who would ever guess that the most fearsome man in the NFL for a solid decade would be a 5'7" WR?

He just called his shot, Babe Ruth style, Joe Namath style, and he delivered.
    He's listed as being 5-9, but no matter. Steve Smith is the greatest small WR to ever play in the NFL and it's not even close. Two-time All-Pro, five-time Pro Bowler and only one of three WRs since the merger to win the receiving triple crown (catches, TDs, yards). The others are Jerry Rice and Sterling Sharpe -- the greatest WR of all time and another would-be HOF'er whose career was cut short by injury just as the passing game (and Brett Favre) in the NFL was really emerging.

Steve Smith had to wait until he was 35 before having a truly elite QB throw to him. Jake Delhomme was good, but limited. Cam Newton was young. In the prime of his career, he mustered up a 1,000-yard season in 2007 when Carolina had four different starting QBs (Vinny Testaverde, Matt Moore, Delhomme and David Carr) in the same season. He's also a beast in the postseason -- in nine postseason games, he has 10 TDs (eight receiving, one rushing, one PR).

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    He just tweeted out that he signed with Miami this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    He just tweeted out that he signed with Miami this morning.
    His twitter page doesnt have that.

Here is the updated list as of: 9/30/2014

Name - Team - Position - Contract - Free Agent Year - Years Played

Utah (24):
    Steve Smith - Baltimore - WR - 3 yrs/11M - 2017- 13 yrs
    Alex Smith - Kansas City - QB - 4 yrs/68M - 2019 - 9 yrs
    Paul Soliai - Atlanta - DL - 5 yrs/33M - 2019 - 7 yrs
    Eric Weddle - San Diego - S - 5 yrs/40M - 2016 - 7 yrs
    Paul Kruger - Cleveland - LB - 5 yrs/41M - 2018 - 5 yrs
    Brice McCain - Pittsburgh - CB - 1 yr/795k - 2015 - 5 yrs
    Sean Smith - Kansas City - CB - 3 yrs/16.5M - 2016 - 5 yrs
    Zane Beadles - Jacksonville - OL - 5 yrs/30M - 2019 - 4 yrs
    Koa Misi - Miami - LB - 5 yrs/17.63M - 2018 - 4 yrs
    *Stevenson Sylvester - Buffalo - LB - 1 yr/730k - 2015 - 4 yrs
    Sealver Siliga - New England - DL - 3 yrs/1.44M - 2015 - 3 yrs
    Matt Asiata - Minnesota - RB - 1 yr/570k - 2015 - 2 yr
    Tony Bergstrom - Oakland - OL - 4 yrs/2.58M - 2016 - 2 yr
    @ Tevita Finau - NYJ - DL - TBD - 2 yrs
    Derrick Shelby - Miami - DL - 3 yrs/1.45M - 2015 - 2 yr
    @ Sam Brenner - Miami - OL - TBD - 1 yr
    @ Reggie Dunn - Dallas - WR - TBD - 1 yr
    Star Lotulelei - Carolina - DL - 4 yrs/9.6M - 2017 - 1 yr
    @ Tevita Stevens - Washington - OL - TBD - 1 yr
    @ Anthony Denham - Houston - TE - TBD - R
    Keith McGill - Oakland - CB - 4 yrs/2.67M - 2018 - R
    @ Jake Murphy - Miami - TE - TBD - R
    Trevor Reilly - NYJ - LB - 4 yrs/2.28M - 2018 -R
    Tenny Palepoi - San Diego - DL - 3 yrs/1.53M - 2017 - R

10 Offense - 1 QB, 1 RB, 2 WR, 4 OL, 2 TE
    14 Defense - 4 LB, 6 DL, 3 CB, 1 S

Other local universities with players in the NFL:

Utah State (10):
    Jarrett Bush - Green Bay - CB - 3 yrs/5.25M - 2015 - 9 yrs
    Donald Penn - Oakland - OL - 2 yrs/9.6M - 2016 - 9 yrs
    Bobby Wagner - Seattle - LB - 4 yrs/4.31M - 2016 - 2 yr
    Robert Turbin - Seattle - RB - 4 yrs/2.56M - 2016 - 2 yr
    Will Davis - Miami - CB - 4 yrs/2.7M - 2017 - 1 yr
    *Chuck Jacobs - San Francisco - WR - 2 yrs/930k - 2016 - 1 yr
    Mo Alexander - St Louis - S - 4 yrs/2.68M - 2018 - R
    *Nevin Lawson - Detroit - CB - 4 yrs/2.52M - 2018 - R
    @ Bojay Filimoeatu - Oakland - LB - TBD - R
    @ DJ Tialavea - Buffalo - TE - TBD - R

4 Offense - 1 RB, 1 WR, 1 OL, 1 TE
    6 Defense - 3 CB, 2 LB, 1 S

BYU "Long Snapper U" (8):
    Brett Keisel - Pittsburgh - DL - 2 yrs/3M - 2016 - 13 yrs
    John Denney - Miami - LS - 3 yrs/3.47M - 2017 - 9 yrs
    *Dennis Pitta - Baltimore - TE - 5 yrs/32M - 2020 - 4 yrs
    Dallas Reynolds - NYG - OL - 2 yrs/1.05M - 2015 - 3 yrs
    Ziggy Ansah - Detroit - DL - 4 yrs/18.6M - 2018 - 1 yr
    *Kyle Van Noy - Detroit - LB - 4 yrs/5.10M - 2018 - R
    @ Spencer Hadley - Oakland - LB - TBD - R
    @ Daniel Sorenson - Kansas City - S - TBD - R

2 Offense - 1 TE, 1 OL
    5 Defense - 2 LB, 2 DL, 1 S
    1 Special Teams - 1 LS

Weber State (1):
    Paul McQuistan - Cleveland - OL - 2 yrs/3M - 2016 - 8 yrs

1 Offense - 1 OL

* Injured Reserve
    @ Practice Squad

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    His twitter page doesnt have that.
    I saw a tweet from Utah Athletics:

@utahathletics: ! @Jake_Murphy82 signed w/Miami Dolphins (practice squad) this a.m. Reunites w/former Utes Koa Misi, Derrick Shelby & Sam Brenner. #goutes

Nice Alex Smith piece:

The 49ers Got It Wrong on Alex Smith, and He's Proving It with the Chiefs

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...ith-the-chiefs

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Is there a reason that Eric Weddle hasn't shaved in a year and a half?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Is there a reason that Eric Weddle hasn't shaved in a year and a half?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
    Cause the beard has a mind of it's own

https://twitter.com/weddlesbeard/sta...38395882295297

Brice McCain had a pick 6 for the Steelers today.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Ugh, hopefully this turns out ok for Derrick Shelby:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ds-police.html
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Not looking good for Shelby. Florida seems to be a place that athletes have a hard time behaving themselves lately.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11...initely-arrest

Here is the updated list as of: 10/8/2014

Utah (24):
    @ Tevita Finau - NYJ - DL - TBD - 2 yrs
    @ Sam Brenner - Miami - OL - TBD - 1 yr
    @ Joe Kruger - Green Bay - DL - TBD - 1 yr
    @ Tevita Stevens - Washington - OL - TBD - 1 yr
    @ Anthony Denham - Houston - TE - TBD - R
    @ Jake Murphy - Miami - TE - TBD - R
    Trevor Reilly - NYJ - LB - 4 yrs/2.28M - 2018 -R

9 Offense - 1 QB, 1 RB, 1 WR, 4 OL, 2 TE
    15 Defense - 4 LB, 7 DL, 3 CB, 1 S

Utah State (10):
    Will Davis - Miami - CB - 4 yrs/2.7M - 2017 - 1 yr
    @ Bojay Filimoeatu - Oakland - LB - TBD - R
    @ DJ Tialavea - Buffalo - TE - TBD - R

4 Offense - 1 RB, 1 WR, 1 OL, 1 TE
    6 Defense - 3 CB, 2 LB, 1 S

BYU "Long Snapper U" (8):
    Brett Keisel - Pittsburgh - DL - 2 yrs/3M - 2016 - 13 yrs
    *Kyle Van Noy - Detroit - LB - 4 yrs/5.10M - 2018 - R
    @ Spencer Hadley - Oakland - LB - TBD - R
    @ Daniel Sorenson - Kansas City - S - TBD - R

2 Offense - 1 TE, 1 OL
    5 Defense - 2 LB, 2 DL, 1 S
    1 Special Teams - 1 LS

Weber State (1):

1 Offense - 1 OL

* Injured Reserve
    @ Practice Squad

Thoughts on the current state of Utes (and other locals) in the NFL and how it reflects on the program.

Coach Whitt always talks about "players winning games". We can take this to mean that unless you have great players, you probably won't win many games. The NFL doesn't include too many non-great college players. The reverse says that if your program puts players into the NFL, they must be great players, and if you have great players your program is probably pretty healthy.

Here are some good observations:

- The Utes have 126% more players in the NFL than all other instate schools combined.
    - The Utes have 240% more players in the NFL than USU (2nd in state).
    - The Utes have 3x the number of players in the NFL as BYU.
    - There are currently 7 Ute DL in the NFL! >3x the number of all other instate schools combined. If you are a Utah high school DL being recruited by Utah and any other instate school, you'd be crazy to not choose the U (this is assuming high school players would like to play in the NFL.)
    - As much as BYU likes to hype the quality of their LBs, the Utes have twice as many LBs in the NFL, as the same number as all other instate schools combined.
    - Utah has more OL in the league than all other instate schools combined.
    - Quantity and Quality. No other school can even come close to the number of actual contributors in the NFL.
    - Utes players have a combined >$280.8M in signed contracts (almost 3x the total of all other instate schools combined.)
    - Because of the large contracts, former Utes give back to the program. When was the last time you heard of a BYU, USU, or Weber State player giving a significant donation to their schools? These gifts can help improve facilities and offset other programmatical costs.
    - Free publicity! I love seeing NFL-Utes wearing Utah gear during interviews (Weddle) and warm-ups (Smith, Sr.) and taking post game photos with other Utes (Beadles, Palepoi, McCoy, and Weddle.)
    - NFL players hanging around the football facility in the off-season is awesome! How cool is it for our current Utes to work out with NFL stars. I would hope there is a benefit to young players seeing how hard they haves to work to make it to the league. It is always nice having a mentor who can show you the ropes.

Now some bad observations:

- The Utes have 3 offensive skill players in the league. The current three will eventually hit zero if it doesn't get replenished soon. This makes me wonder if all of the Utes' recent Offensive Coordinator changes were due to bad coaching or poor recruiting/players. I would think that if the Utes had great offensive players, the offense may not have struggled as much as it recently has.
    - USU has as many DBs in the league as the Utes. Our quality of DBs has not been up to par the last few years. This obviously has to change when you play Pac-12 offenses that throw it as much as they do. Our two starting CBs are a converted Safety and a converted WR.
    - The Utes need more NFL-caliber skill position players. We have realized in the last few years that too-short, too-slow, too weak won't win many Pac-12 games. We could get away with them in the MWC, but no more. I always feel good about our roster improvement when I imagine our current team playing a MWC schedule. This team is as talented as any we have ever had at the U.
    - We haven't had a high draft pick in 5 years. Most of our young NFL-Utes are Undrafted Free Agents or late round picks. These typically are the too-short, too-slow, try-hard types. Time to start producing some early-round talent.

Funny observations:
    - BYU sucks! Seriously. They have four active NFL players; one Long Snapper, one too-old DL, one reserve OL, and Ziggy. Wow!
    - If the Utes can continue to produce NFL talent, the difference in program health will only get wider. This is just the beginning.

Any I missed?

Quote Originally Posted by UtahMan3G View Post
    Thoughts on the current state of Utes (and other locals) in the NFL and how it reflects on the program.

Coach Whitt always talks about "players winning games". We can take this to mean that unless you have great players, you probably won't win many games. The NFL doesn't include too many non-great college players. The reverse says that if your program puts players into the NFL, they must be great players, and if you have great players your program is probably pretty healthy.

Here are some good observations:

- The Utes have 126% more players in the NFL than all other instate schools combined.
    - The Utes have 240% more players in the NFL than USU (2nd in state).
    - The Utes have 3x the number of players in the NFL as BYU.
    - There are currently 7 Ute DL in the NFL! >3x the number of all other instate schools combined. If you are a Utah high school DL being recruited by Utah and any other instate school, you'd be crazy to not choose the U (this is assuming high school players would like to play in the NFL.)
    - As much as BYU likes to hype the quality of their LBs, the Utes have twice as many LBs in the NFL, as the same number as all other instate schools combined.
    - Utah has more OL in the league than all other instate schools combined.
    - Quantity and Quality. No other school can even come close to the number of actual contributors in the NFL.
    - Utes players have a combined >$280.8M in signed contracts (almost 3x the total of all other instate schools combined.)
    - Because of the large contracts, former Utes give back to the program. When was the last time you heard of a BYU, USU, or Weber State player giving a significant donation to their schools? These gifts can help improve facilities and offset other programmatical costs.
    - Free publicity! I love seeing NFL-Utes wearing Utah gear during interviews (Weddle) and warm-ups (Smith, Sr.) and taking post game photos with other Utes (Beadles, Palepoi, McCoy, and Weddle.)
    - NFL players hanging around the football facility in the off-season is awesome! How cool is it for our current Utes to work out with NFL stars. I would hope there is a benefit to young players seeing how hard they haves to work to make it to the league. It is always nice having a mentor who can show you the ropes.

Now some bad observations:

- The Utes have 3 offensive skill players in the league. The current three will eventually hit zero if it doesn't get replenished soon. This makes me wonder if all of the Utes' recent Offensive Coordinator changes were due to bad coaching or poor recruiting/players. I would think that if the Utes had great offensive players, the offense may not have struggled as much as it recently has.
    - USU has as many DBs in the league as the Utes. Our quality of DBs has not been up to par the last few years. This obviously has to change when you play Pac-12 offenses that throw it as much as they do. Our two starting CBs are a converted Safety and a converted WR.
    - The Utes need more NFL-caliber skill position players. We have realized in the last few years that too-short, too-slow, too weak won't win many Pac-12 games. We could get away with them in the MWC, but no more. I always feel good about our roster improvement when I imagine our current team playing a MWC schedule. This team is as talented as any we have ever had at the U.
    - We haven't had a high draft pick in 5 years. Most of our young NFL-Utes are Undrafted Free Agents or late round picks. These typically are the too-short, too-slow, try-hard types. Time to start producing some early-round talent.

Funny observations:
    - BYU sucks! Seriously. They have four active NFL players; one Long Snapper, one too-old DL, one reserve OL, and Ziggy. Wow!
    - If the Utes can continue to produce NFL talent, the difference in program health will only get wider. This is just the beginning.

Any I missed?
    Thanks, I always love your updates 3Gen. For all of the Ute fans who like to demean the accomplishments of past teams (2008 in particular) in some misguided attempt to prove the current team's worth, one should just point to your list. The number of Ute defenders that are solid NFlers after 5 years from that team is truly astounding.

Matt Asiata scored 3 TDs today in the Vikings' win over the Redskins today.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Saw this floating around on Facebook today

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418606521.241383.jpg

NFL Network is running a promo for its 9 am Gameday show with a feature on the Kemoeatu (sp?) brothers.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    NFL Network is running a promo for its 9 am Gameday show with a feature on the Kemoeatu (sp?) brothers.
    Whatever happened to the last Kemoeatu (Benji?)? He initially signed with West Virginia, then Utah, then JC. Did he just fizzle out?

Here is how our locals ended the regular season:

Here is the updated list as of: 12/29/2014

Utah (25):
    @ Tevita Finau - NYJ - DL - N/A - 2 yrs
    Sam Brenner - Miami - OL - 3 yrs/1.49M - 2016 - 1 yr
    @ Reggie Dunn - Dallas - WR - N/A - 1 yr
    @ Joe Kruger - Pittsburgh - DL - N/A - 1 yr
    @ Tevita Stevens - Washington - OL - N/A - 1 yr
    Anthony Denham - Houston - TE - 3 yrs/1.53M - 2017 - R
    @ Jake Murphy - Cincinnati - TE - N/A - R
    Trevor Reilly - NYJ - LB - 4 yrs/2.28M - 2018 - R

Utah State (12):
    *Will Davis - Miami - CB - 4 yrs/2.7M - 2017 - 1 yr
    Patrick Scales - Baltimore - LS - 2 yrs/930k - 2016 - 1 yr
    Kerwynn Williams - Arizona - RB - 2 yrs/930k - 2016 - 1 yr
    Bojay Filimoeatu - Oakland - LB - 1 yr/420k - 2015 - R
    @ Tay Glover-Wright - Green Bay - CB - N/A - R

4 Offense - 2 RB, 1 WR, 1 OL
    7 Defense - 4 CB, 2 LB, 1 S
    1 Special Teams - 1 LS

BYU "Long Snapper U" (10):
    *Brett Keisel - Pittsburgh - DL - 2 yrs/3M - 2016 - 13 yrs
    @ Hebron Fangupo - Kansas City - DL - N/A - 1 yr
    Kyle Van Noy - Detroit - LB - 4 yrs/5.10M - 2018 - R
    Spencer Hadley - Oakland - LB - 1 yr/420k - 2015 - R
    Daniel Sorenson - Kansas City - S - 2 yrs/930k - 2016 - R
    @ Uani Unga - NYG - LB - N/A - R

2 Offense - 1 TE, 1 OL
    7 Defense - 3 LB, 3 DL, 1 S
    1 Special Teams - 1 LS

Weber State (1):

1 Offense - 1 OL

Southern Utah (1):
    @ Brad Sorenson - San Diego - QB - N/A - 2 yrs

1 Offense - 1 QB

* Injured Reserve
    @ Practice Squad (Practice Squad players are paid weekly. Practice Squad 2014 minimum salary is $6,300/week. Teams can pay more to try to keep their best players from signing on to another team's 53-man roster.)

Quote Originally Posted by UtahMan3G View Post
    Here is how our locals ended the regular season:

Here is the updated list as of: 12/29/2014

Utah (25):
    @ Tevita Finau - NYJ - DL - N/A - 2 yrs
    Sam Brenner - Miami - OL - 3 yrs/1.49M - 2016 - 1 yr
    @ Reggie Dunn - Dallas - WR - N/A - 1 yr
    @ Joe Kruger - Pittsburgh - DL - N/A - 1 yr
    @ Tevita Stevens - Washington - OL - N/A - 1 yr
    Anthony Denham - Houston - TE - 3 yrs/1.53M - 2017 - R
    @ Jake Murphy - Cincinnati - TE - N/A - R
    Trevor Reilly - NYJ - LB - 4 yrs/2.28M - 2018 - R

Utah State (12):
    *Will Davis - Miami - CB - 4 yrs/2.7M - 2017 - 1 yr
    Patrick Scales - Baltimore - LS - 2 yrs/930k - 2016 - 1 yr
    Kerwynn Williams - Arizona - RB - 2 yrs/930k - 2016 - 1 yr
    Bojay Filimoeatu - Oakland - LB - 1 yr/420k - 2015 - R
    @ Tay Glover-Wright - Green Bay - CB - N/A - R

4 Offense - 2 RB, 1 WR, 1 OL
    7 Defense - 4 CB, 2 LB, 1 S
    1 Special Teams - 1 LS

BYU "Long Snapper U" (10):
    *Brett Keisel - Pittsburgh - DL - 2 yrs/3M - 2016 - 13 yrs
    @ Hebron Fangupo - Kansas City - DL - N/A - 1 yr
    Kyle Van Noy - Detroit - LB - 4 yrs/5.10M - 2018 - R
    Spencer Hadley - Oakland - LB - 1 yr/420k - 2015 - R
    Daniel Sorenson - Kansas City - S - 2 yrs/930k - 2016 - R
    @ Uani Unga - NYG - LB - N/A - R

2 Offense - 1 TE, 1 OL
    7 Defense - 3 LB, 3 DL, 1 S
    1 Special Teams - 1 LS

Weber State (1):

1 Offense - 1 OL

Southern Utah (1):
    @ Brad Sorenson - San Diego - QB - N/A - 2 yrs

1 Offense - 1 QB

* Injured Reserve
    @ Practice Squad (Practice Squad players are paid weekly. Practice Squad 2014 minimum salary is $6,300/week. Teams can pay more to try to keep their best players from signing on to another team's 53-man roster.)
    thanks for posting this.
    Brice mccain tore it up last night for the steelers. He had 2 INTs.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Cool graphic from Light the U:

The PAC-12 in the Super Bowl

http://lighttheu.com/2015/01/pac-12-super-bowl/
    Last edited by LA Ute; 01-27-2015 at 06:19 PM.

--Yeats

Here is the updated list as of: 5/3/2015

Utah (33):
    Steve Smith - Baltimore - WR - 3 yrs/11M - 2017- 14 yrs
    Alex Smith - Kansas City - QB - 4 yrs/68M - 2019 - 10 yrs
    Paul Soliai - Atlanta - DL - 5 yrs/33M - 2019 - 8 yrs
    Eric Weddle - San Diego - S - 5 yrs/40M - 2016 - 8 yrs
    Paul Kruger - Cleveland - LB - 5 yrs/41M - 2018 - 6 yrs
    Brice McCain - Miami - CB - 2 yrs/5.5M - 2017 - 6 yrs
    Sean Smith - Kansas City - CB - 3 yrs/16.5M - 2016 - 6 yrs
    Zane Beadles - Jacksonville - OL - 5 yrs/30M - 2019 - 5 yrs
    Koa Misi - Miami - LB - 5 yrs/17.63M - 2018 - 5 yrs
    * Stevenson Sylvester - TBD - LB - 5 yrs
    Sealver Siliga - New England - DL - 1 yr/660k - 2016 - 4 yrs
    Matt Asiata - Minnesota - RB - 1 yr/TBD - 2016 - 3 yrs
    Tony Bergstrom - Oakland - OL - 4 yrs/2.58M - 2016 - 3 yrs
    Tevita Finau - Houston - DL - 2 yrs/960k - 2017 - 3 yrs
    Derrick Shelby - Miami - DL - 1 yr/2.4M - 2016 - 3 yrs
    Sam Brenner - Miami - OL - 2 yrs/930k - 2016 - 2 yrs
    Reggie Dunn - Dallas - WR - 2 yrs/960k - 2017 - 2 yrs
    Joe Kruger - Pittsburgh - DL - 1 yr/435k - 2016 - 2 yrs
    Star Lotulelei - Carolina - DL - 4 yrs/9.6M - 2017 - 2 yrs
    Anthony Denham - Houston - TE - 3 yrs/1.53M - 2017 - 1 yr
    Keith McGill - Oakland - CB - 4 yrs/2.67M - 2018 - 1 yr
    Jake Murphy - Cincinnati - TE - 2 yrs/960k - 2017 - 1 yr
    Trevor Reilly - NYJ - LB - 4 yrs/2.28M - 2018 - 1 yr
    Tenny Palepoi - San Diego - DL - 3 yrs/1.53M - 2017 - 1 yr
    Kaelin Clay - Tampa Bay - WR - TBD - R
    Nate Orchard - Cleveland - LB - TBD - R
    Jeremiah Poutasi - Tennessee - OL - TBD - R
    Eric Rowe - Philadelphia - CB - TBD - R
    # Dres Anderson - WR - San Francisco - TBD - R
    # Brian Blechen - Carolina - LB - TBD - R
    # Jacoby Hale - Oakland - LB - TBD - R
    # Greg Reese - Seattle - TE - TBD - R
    # Westlee Tonga - Kansas City - TE - TBD - R

14 Offense - 1 QB, 1 RB, 4 WR, 4 OL, 4 TE
    19 Defense - 7 LB, 7 DL, 4 CB, 1 S

Utah State (18):
    * Jarrett Bush - TBD - CB - 10 yrs
    Donald Penn - Oakland - OL - 2 yrs/9.6M - 2016 - 10 yrs
    Curtis Marsh - Denver - CB - 1 yr/660k - 2016 - 5 yrs
    Bobby Wagner - Seattle - LB - 4 yrs/4.31M - 2016 - 3 yrs
    Robert Turbin - Seattle - RB - 4 yrs/2.56M - 2016 - 3 yrs
    Will Davis - Miami - CB - 4 yrs/2.7M - 2017 - 2 yrs
    Chuck Jacobs - San Francisco - WR - 2 yrs/930k - 2016 - 2 yrs
    Tyler Larsen - Washington - OL - TBD - 2 yrs
    Patrick Scales - Baltimore - LS - 1 yr/450k - 2016 - 2 yrs
    Kerwynn Williams - Arizona - RB - 2 yrs/930k - 2016 - 2 yrs
    Mo Alexander - St Louis - S - 4 yrs/2.68M - 2018 - 1 yr
    Nevin Lawson - Detroit - CB - 4 yrs/2.52M - 2018 - 1 yr
    Bojay Filimoeatu - Oakland - LB - 1 yr/420k - 2015 - 1 yr
    Tay Glover-Wright - Green Bay - CB - 2 yrs/960k - 2017 - 1 yr
    # BJ Larsen - Buffalo - LB - TBD - R
    # Brian Suite - Detroit - S - TBD - R
    # Zach Vigil - Miami - LB - TBD - R
    # Kevin Whimpey - Pittsburgh - OL - TBD - R

6 Offense - 2 RB, 1 WR, 3 OL
    11 Defense - 5 CB, 4 LB, 2 S
    1 Special Teams - 1 LS

BYU "Long Snapper U" (18):
    John Denney - Miami - LS - 3 yrs/3.47M - 2017 - 10 yrs
    Dennis Pitta - Baltimore - TE - 5 yrs/32M - 2020 - 5 yrs
    Dallas Reynolds - NYG - OL - 1 yr/700k - 2016 - 4 yrs
    Ziggy Ansah - Detroit - DL - 4 yrs/18.6M - 2018 - 2 yrs
    Hebron Fangupo - Kansas City - DL - TBD - 2 yrs
    Kyle Van Noy - Detroit - LB - 4 yrs/5.10M - 2018 - 1 yr
    Spencer Hadley - Oakland - LB - 1 yr/420k - 2015 - 1 yr
    Daniel Sorenson - Kansas City - S - 2 yrs/930k - 2016 - 1 yr
    Uani Unga - NYG - LB - 3 yrs/1.6M - 2018 - 1 yr
    # Ross Apo - Seattle - WR - TBD - R
    # Rob Daniel - Oakland - CB - TBD - R
    # Alani Fua - Arizona - LB - TBD - R
    # Solomone Kafu - Arizona - OL - TBD - R
    # Paul Lasike - Arizona - RB - TBD - R
    # Jordan Leslie - Minnesota - WR - TBD - R
    # Devin Mahina - Washington - TE - TBD - R
    # Skye PoVye - Green Bay - S - TBD - R
    # De'Ondre Wesley - Baltimore - OL - TBD - R

8 Offense - 2 TE, 3 OL, 2 WR, 1 RB
    9 Defense - 4 LB, 2 DL, 2 S, 1 CB
    1 Special Teams - 1 LS

Weber State (1):
    * Paul McQuistan - TBD - OL - 9 yrs

1 Offense - 1 OL

Southern Utah (1):
    Brad Sorenson - San Diego - QB - 2 yrs/1.1M - 2017 - 3 yrs

1 Offense - 1 QB

* Unrestricted Free Agent
    # Undrafted Free Agent
    Last edited by UtahMan3G; 05-03-2015 at 04:45 PM.

I was starting to think a big reason BYU has struggled with getting guys in the league was the post-mission "reality check" - settling down and getting married, and wanting to have a good quality life after football. Hard to blame a guy for wanting to be healthy to enjoy his kids and grandkids.

But with the number of free agents that signed this year from Provo, it's pretty clear the main factor is a serious deficiency with player development.

No draft picks four out of the last six years drives home that they're a shadow of their former selves.

Hopefully Utah continues manufacturing NFL players out of 3 star recruits, up from the 2 star recruits we used to work with. Eventually we'll be snagging more 4 stars players.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    I was starting to think a big reason BYU has struggled with getting guys in the league was the post-mission "reality check" - settling down and getting married, and wanting to have a good quality life after football. Hard to blame a guy for wanting to be healthy to enjoy his kids and grandkids.

But with the number of free agents that signed this year from Provo, it's pretty clear the main factor is a serious deficiency with player development.

No draft picks four out of the last six years drives home that they're a shadow of their former selves.

Hopefully Utah continues manufacturing NFL players out of 3 star recruits, up from the 2 star recruits we used to work with. Eventually we'll be snagging more 4 stars players.
    I don't know why everyone hasn't talked about their recruiting drop off. The year before they went Indy, their class was ranked in the 30's. The year after? 60's. It's been in the 60's ever since.

Their problem is a talent problem. 2010 was their last decent class. The talent has dropped considerably, and we saw that last year. After Hill went down, they went 1-4 vs MWC and UCF. Then they lost to Memphis. They just lack talent. If Hill gets hurt again, this will be a very, very ugly year. They have 1, maybe 2 P5 level players on their team. Hill and maybe someone else.

Since Indy/PAC-12 Utah's classes have averaged 44 over the sites (Rivals, Scout, 247). BYU's have averaged 60. There is a HUGE talent difference.

I've said it a hundred times, but I don't get the choice to go Indy. It was stupid. Worse bowl, worse schedule, worse recruiting, less wins, etc. They do have a little more money, but not much more than Boise.

What's the point?

If they had stayed in the MWC, they would have gone to a BCS bowl by now. They'd be a big fish in a little pond. Their recruiting classes would be in the 25-35 range. They'd be ranked every year. They would have a little less money, but they'd have everything else that fanbase loves.

I would be disappointed if we were in the Vegas bowl. That would mean we slipped up somewhere. BUT, demolishing that team would be a nice consolation prize.

Could you imagine if they had stayed in the MWC? Asiata, Fanaika, Hansen, Ofa, Mokofisi, Pita T are all players that might have gone to BYU instead of Utah if they had remained a big fish in a little pond.

That would be huge for us. Hansen is our QB of the future. Fanaika, Pita T will be All PAC-12 players. Mokofisi is a monster at DT.

But, indy...yeah...morons.

Couldn't happen to a better group of people.

Pride before the fall.