Thread: Utah Utes 2017 football pre-season

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    This offense better work or we are in a lot of trouble.
    I am more confident that the defense can re-load and that special teams will continue to be good (if we find a field goal kicker - the guys in spring were terrible) than I do that the offense can make tremendous strides given that we will be starting 4 young and inexperienced offensive linemen. One of the keys the past two years is the the offense has not thrown a lot of interceptions. The article indicates that Utah ran the ball 56% last year while EWU only ran it 39%. Obviously wins/losses and points scored will be the ultimate indicators of whether the offense has improved or not, but it will be interesting to watch % run/pass, scoring touchdowns in the redzone, whether the QB can improve the 53% completion rate (not all the QB's fault as I would guess the Utes averaged at least 3 easy catch drops per game) and the number of interceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I am more confident that the defense can re-load and that special teams will continue to be good (if we find a field goal kicker - the guys in spring were terrible) than I do that the offense can make tremendous strides given that we will be starting 4 young and inexperienced offensive linemen. One of the keys the past two years is the the offense has not thrown a lot of interceptions. The article indicates that Utah ran the ball 56% last year while EWU only ran it 39%. Obviously wins/losses and points scored will be the ultimate indicators of whether the offense has improved or not, but it will be interesting to watch % run/pass, scoring touchdowns in the redzone, whether the QB can improve the 53% completion rate (not all the QB's fault as I would guess the Utes averaged at least 3 easy catch drops per game) and the number of interceptions.
    I worry about a lot of 3 and outs (a return to the early Dave Christensen year) that puts the d on the filed a lot more, and in precarious positions. Sure hope that doesn't happen, esp. while the offense gets the timing down.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I worry about a lot of 3 and outs (a return to the early Dave Christensen year) that puts the d on the filed a lot more, and in precarious positions. Sure hope that doesn't happen, esp. while the offense gets the timing down.
    I don't particularly like playing FCS teams, but I am happy we have one this year as BYU's defense will probably be as good as many of the PAC 12 defenses we will see this year; not UW, USC or Stanford, but as good as, or a little better than, the others.