Thread: Sports Media (local and national)

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Speaking of Monty on 1320, I had an interesting interaction with him on twitter. To summarize:

Me: Why are Ute fans arguing with Monty? This guy is so delusional, he believes KFAN has the top rated afternoon drive time show.
    Monthy (to me): You obviously have no idea what youre talking about! Youre ignorant! We are #1!
    Me: (to monty): So arbitron is wrong?
    Monty: *crickets*

In fact, arbitron shows that KFAN has about half the audience of the zone. and also less than ESPN 700.

If you go through Monty's time line on twitter, its pretty obvious that he is an antics guy who is all about sensationalizing things to drive ratings. No thanks. I'll stick to guys with an established audience who talk sports and give real opinion, not slobbering lunatics who are trying anything to get an audience.
    Unless you actually subscribe to Arbitron, the numbers you see online are for one ratings survey, and while it tells part of the story, it doesn't tell the entire story. Stations have to pay thousands of dollars annually for access to the entire batch of data, and Monty's not going to share whatever numbers he has with the general public.

You can say what you want about Monty's show or style -- I've never listened and only give him cursory attention on Twitter. However, I'd stay away from getting into industry arguments with him, or any other radio professional.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Unless you actually subscribe to Arbitron, the numbers you see online are for one ratings survey, and while it tells part of the story, it doesn't tell the entire story. Stations have to pay thousands of dollars annually for access to the entire batch of data, and Monty's not going to share whatever numbers he has with the general public.

You can say what you want about Monty's show or style -- I've never listened and only give him cursory attention on Twitter. However, I'd stay away from getting into industry arguments with him, or any other radio professional.
    I get that. At the same time, I have asked radio professionals for the numbers and was told that I could approach them at a remote event and they would show me anything I wanted. I did just that and Montys claim is simply not true, or close to it.

I get that. At the same time, I have asked radio professionals for the numbers and was told that I could approach them at a remote event and they would show me anything I wanted. I did just that and Montys claim is simply not true, or close to it.
    In reality, it is shocking how little of advertising is true these days. Business these days has morphed into: "Say and do anything to screw as many people out of as many cents as you can, then either sell or bankrupt out when they call you out on it, laughing all the way to the bank."

It's really pathetic. I used to be BIG time right wing guy, but seeing how in business it has become 100% okay to throw all ethics out the window, I know we need regulation, big time. It's too bad.

Anyways, sorry to hijack the thread. My point is don't believe what the tv/radio tell you. Most of the time it is a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    My point is don't believe what the tv/radio tell you. Most of the time it is a stretch.
    Damn. I wish you would have told me this before I converted all my liquid assets to gold this past week.

Quote Originally Posted by wally View Post
    Damn. I wish you would have told me this before I converted all my liquid assets to gold this past week.
    lol. Sorry. So, you are telling me that Glenn Beck, savior of America, sold you something that wasn't quite upfront and honest? ha ha.

Not local, but still media related... the SVP and Russillo show on ESPN 3 (or whatever it is) had a Ute football helmet front and center today.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Not local, but still media related... the SVP and Russillo show on ESPN 3 (or whatever it is) had a Ute football helmet front and center today.
    They have tweeted out all their "new" helmets the past week or so. The Ute helmet with the black facemask has been in every single one.

Well, I certainly cannot speak for every radio professional, but if I'm the GM or sales manager at a group of radio stations and I have my employees showing Arbitron numbers to anyone but advertisers, I gotta find out what justification they had for doing so. Off the cuff, I can't think of one.

Color me impressed. Last couple weeks been turning on 1320 in the morning, and in the afternoon, and it is all about Utah Spring Ball. I think the Ute Sports report is helping them out. Granted they bring on the occasional zoob story, but it has dramatically improved. Plus one can pick an choose from their audio archive. http://stationcaster.com/player_skin...2601&f=2650003

Well, it has been a couple of months now into the new local shows.

-In my car, my radio antenna is busted and I can only get stations on the fm dial. When I am driving around at lunch, I now only have "Hans and Scotty G" instead of "Jake and Tony". Hans and Scotty G is basically "can't listen" radio to me. If Scotty G isn't rattling off cliche after cliche, he is trying to be funny and failing, or is he trying to take away from the one good thing about his show by trying to clown around with Hans during football talk.

-Bill and OC is ok. Its better than Bill & Hans, but its not Bill and Spence.