Thread: Smoke'm if you got'em

Hybrid View

I'm seeing that some purchasers complain about the smoke that the Traegers emit when starting up. Is there anything to that? I don't want my neighbors to hate me. Also, it look like quite a few people have both a gas grill and a Traeger, and use the grill for things like burgers, and the Traeger for smoking. What do you guys say?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I'm seeing that some purchasers complain about the smoke that the Traegers emit when starting up. Is there anything to that? I don't want my neighbors to hate me. Also, it look like quite a few people have both a gas grill and a Traeger, and use the grill for things like burgers, and the Traeger for smoking. What do you guys say?
    While I am a big fan of smoking and also a proponent for grilling everything slow and low, using a smoker as a grill I don't think is a good idea. There are certain things that you need better control of the heat quick that means you need a grill. For example I'll often turn my grill up high with a steak or a burger to sear the outside to keep the juices in and then I turn it way down and slow cook it the rest of the way. That is hard to do with a smoker.

Also, as noted, smokers tend to smoke, particularly if you've done it right. It should be giving off a constant white smoke that will likely not offend your neighbors but get them coming over to mooch some food. That is what I experience at least.

Right now I have a turkey breast that I brined for 24 hour previously in a concoction of kosher salt, distilled water, crushed garlic, ground pepper, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce. Rinse it off, glaze in olive oil and let smoke all day.

Look, I'm talking about what I'm going to eat today... what is this Facebook?

Smoke'm if you got'em

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    While I am a big fan of smoking and also a proponent for grilling everything slow and low, using a smoker as a grill I don't think is a good idea. There are certain things that you need better control of the heat quick that means you need a grill. For example I'll often turn my grill up high with a steak or a burger to sear the outside to keep the juices in and then I turn it way down and slow cook it the rest of the way. That is hard to do with a smoker.

Also, as noted, smokers tend to smoke, particularly if you've done it right. It should be giving off a constant white smoke that will likely not offend your neighbors but get them coming over to mooch some food. That is what I experience at least.

Right now I have a turkey breast that I brined for 24 hour previously in a concoction of kosher salt, distilled water, crushed garlic, ground pepper, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce. Rinse it off, glaze in olive oil and let smoke all day.

Look, I'm talking about what I'm going to eat today... what is this Facebook?
    Yeah, I am thinking the same way. Does anyone know anyone who has a Big Green Egg?

http://www.biggreenegg.com/eggs/

It claims to be a grill, a smoker and an oven. I'm intrigued.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 05-04-2014 at 11:21 AM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell