Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Latest movie my wife picked up at the library

it works for both men and women.
    Last edited by bestellen; 01-03-2018 at 02:41 AM.

I'll put this here since I actually did get this movie from the library for once: Mad Max Fury Road. I watched the first half of it in my way-too-hot upstairs bedroom with the AC blasting so that it was hard to make out a lot of the dialogue (I couldn't turn it up too loud because there were lots of loud explosions and stuff and all the kids were sleeping down the hall). I missed a lot of the dialogue and never really understood the plot but I'm not sure this really mattered much. It's a movie built on fast action and a flame throwing guitar. Though I had no idea what was happening I still enjoyed it.

You mostly missed Max grunting or saying one word.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Valerian and the city of 1,000 planets. This movie was just as bad as it appeared to be going in.
    Random question for the group here: When you are in the process of viewing a movie, either at home or at the theater, and it just sucks, do you ever turn it off? I dont know why, but almost always I feel obligated to power through just to see how something ends.

If only I was as diligent about "starting what I finish" when it comes to eating right and exercising......

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Random question for the group here: When you are in the process of viewing a movie, either at home or at the theater, and it just sucks, do you ever turn it off? I dont know why, but almost always I feel obligated to power through just to see how something ends.

If only I was as diligent about "starting what I finish" when it comes to eating right and exercising......
    I'm a little too ADD to stick with a movie that I find boring or uninteresting. Sometimes I might miss out on a payoff at the end, but there is so much content out there that I'll never see, I figure there is always something I can find that is a better use of my time.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

I'm pretty much the same way. Books and movies - I finish them for completeness. The last movie I turned off midway was the Big Fat Greek Wedding sequel. Sooo bad.
    Why did you start that movie?

Ha! I refer you to the thread title.
    Do you only have one TV?

Did you sign a prenup requiring you to watch terrible movies with her?

Ragnarok. Great, memorable action and humor.

They really should re-name the Oscar category to "best dramatic picture" because the actual best movies each year are either action films or comedies or both.

Hunt for the Wilderpeople. Cute, funny. Grab it just for the Kiwi accents alone.

Hunt for the Wilderpeople. Cute, funny. Grab it just for the Kiwi accents alone.
    Shit just got real!
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Crazy, Rich Asians. It's My Big Fat Greek Wedding on the set of a 50 Cent video. They missed a home run opportunity to have the main protagonist show up at love interest's place with a boombox playing "In Your Eyes" with Chinese lyrics.

Crazy, Rich Asians. It's My Big Fat Greek Wedding on the set of a 50 Cent video. They missed a home run opportunity to have the main protagonist show up at love interest's place with a boombox playing "In Your Eyes" with Chinese lyrics.
    Really, really, really bad. Wasn't this the number one movie in America for awhile? I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Really, really, really bad. Wasn't this the number one movie in America for awhile? I don't get it.
    I didn't think it was much better or much worse than the typical movie in that genre. Admittedly, it's not a genre I know very well.

I think you just helped me dodge a bullet. I almost rented that this weekend.

It's passable if you're doing it as a favor for your significant other. My wife really enjoyed it (but she also loves, and I mean LOVES, the Fast and Furious movies, so I'm fine sitting through the occasional Crazy, Rich Asians).

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    It's passable if you're doing it as a favor for your significant other. My wife really enjoyed it (but she also loves, and I mean LOVES, the Fast and Furious movies, so I'm fine sitting through the occasional Crazy, Rich Asians).
    FF has numerous redeeming qualities. CRA does not.

Right, I love the FF movies, my point was that while CRA may be one that you watch to be a good husband, I'm also fortunate that she enjoys the stupid-but-super-fun movies as well, so I don't feel like I have to endure the CRAs of the world too often. Sorry, I wasn't very clear.

Not true, CRA had Chinese versions of many famous songs. That's good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    I have never seen a single Fast and Furious movie. They look terrible. I loved Drive, Baby Driver, original Gone in Sixty, etc. Am I missing the boat on this franchise?

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    I have never seen a single Fast and Furious movie. They look terrible. I loved Drive, Baby Driver, original Gone in Sixty, etc. Am I missing the boat on this franchise?
    They are fun movies, especially from #4 on. Over the top action scenes, explosions, and stunts. If you like that kind of stuff, the FF movies are good at it.

They are fun movies, especially from #4 on. Over the top action scenes, explosions, and stunts. If you like that kind of stuff, the FF movies are good at it.
    This is the answer. They are well done, fun action movies. And you have to laugh at them as well as laugh with them (and they're in on the joke).