Thread: Life in the Trump Era, Part 2

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Wait, are you arguing that Manafort hasn't broken the law, or he simply wouldn't have been caught?

I'm with you that I don't like the glee of cornering people because of their financial situations or others as described, but it is hard to have sympathy for Manafort. The guy was clearly a bad actor and presuming Trump's innocence, whomever did the vetting of Manafort in his campaign blew it big time. The guy is seven layers thick of stank.
    he’s entitled to the presumption of innocence until convicted. But aside from that, whatever he’s been charged with has nothing to do with, and happened many years before the 2016 campaign. Nobody claims there’s a nexus, except that the prosecutor wants to cut a plea deal and enlist him as a witness. And I submit that since he’s never been pursued before he’d not be charged now but for the larger political game. Prosecutors are selective about whom they will investigate or indict.
    Last edited by SeattleUte; 06-06-2018 at 10:37 AM.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    he’s entitled to the presumption of innocence until convicted. But aside from that, whatever he’s been charged with has nothing to do with, and happened many years before the 2016 campaign. Nobody claims there’s a nexus, except that the prosecutor wants to cut a plea deal and enlist him as a witness. And I submit that since he’s never been pursued before he’d not be charged now but for the larger political game. Prosecutors are selective about whom they will investigate or indict.
    Paul Manafort was on the FBI's radar going back to 2013. So, yah, there is a nexus.

https://www.politicususa.com/2018/04...-campaign.html

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...-trump-mueller

So, a certain star of a recently cancelled ABC sitcom once said that all bankers, as well as people making over $1 million dollars per year, should be beheaded. She once posed as Adolf Hitler with a plate full of baby cookies. She ran for president in 2012 with Cindy Sheehan as her running mate, on a platform of universal healthcare and legalizing marijuana. She once suggested that there are airplanes overhead spraying mind-altering chemicals on the American people. She accused GW Bush of planning the 9-11 attacks. Later she accused Obama of perpetrating the bombing of the Boston Marathon. Basically, this personality has a history of saying outrageous things, but she does not have a history of being a Republican or a conservative. Yet, because she supports the current occupant of the White House, people on the right rushed to her defense while people on the left rushed to attack her.

I've never liked her, never thought she was funny, didn't watch the comeback of the show that was just cancelled.

Again, my advice to all, both on the right and the left: Look before you leap.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant