Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Back to the Coliseum: Utah vs. USC 2019

Back to the Coliseum: Utah vs. USC 2019

I heard something interesting on Riley's show podcast. One analyst said that against Stanford, USC spread their o-line out - 2 feet between each lineman - so that Stanford’s edge rushers were farther away from USC’s young QB, Kedon Slovis. The idea was to give rushers like Anae more ground to cover before getting to Slovis. The analyst thought the goal was to give Slovis more time to get comfortable and allow him to get the ball out quickly.

I'm wondering if they will try that next Friday against the Utes. By then Kyle & Co. will have studied USC game film carefully, so Scalley and Whit will have the Utes ready. (Will they blitz, shoot gaps?) Then again, by the time USC plays us they'll already have played BYU. Maybe with another game under his belt Slovis won't need that extra time. Anyway, it will be interesting to watch the line of scrimmage next Friday.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

BYU used to do that under Anae, so I'm sure we have some plan for it.

Hey, let’s not lose our focus on ID St. We have a game to win tomorrow. Then we can worry about the trojans.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    Hey, let’s not lose our focus on ID St. We have a game to win tomorrow. Then we can worry about the trojans.
    All Utah players are blocked from this site. No worries. Their minds will be on the game. Also, any UB5 reader who cheers less loudly tomorrow because he/she is looking beyond Idaho State will be severely chastized.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 09-13-2019 at 10:47 AM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Will this be the first time ever we are favored in the coliseum?
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Will this be the first time ever we are favored in the coliseum?
    Weren't we favored going in to the 2015 game when Travis threw 3 pick-sixes to the same USC linebacker? (Or was it only two?) I remember that on game day all the USC fans I met were telling me they hoped we wouldn't destroy them. That game contributed to my Ute Fan PTSD.

Having said all that, this year things feel different.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Weren't we favored going in to the 2015 game when Travis threw 3 pick-sixes to the same USC linebacker? (Or was it only two?) I remember that on game day all the USC fans I met were telling me they hoped we wouldn't destroy them. That game contributed to my Ute Fan PTSD.

Yes, we were favored (we were #4 in the country). And Travis threw three ints to the same linebacker, but only one was a pick6. It was a long, hot day in the coliseum.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Yes, we were favored (we were #4 in the country). And Travis threw three ints to the same linebacker, but only one was a pick6. It was a long, hot day in the coliseum.
    For some reason I thought it was 3 pick sixes. That’s what PTSD can do to a guy’s mind.

Here’s the recap of the game. I had forgotten that we were 6-0 and they were 3-3.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.si....beat-utah-utes

What a difference four years makes. In 2017 we almost beat USC on the last play of the game. This year we have an experienced, reliable quarterback who doesn’t do mindless things, and a more talented team that’s just a lot more confident and experienced. I like our chances.

--Yeats

For some reason I thought it was 3 pick sixes. That’s what PTSD can do to a guy’s mind.

Here’s the recap of the game. I had forgotten that we were 6-0 and they were 3-3.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.si....beat-utah-utes

What a difference four years makes. In 2017 we almost beat USC on the last play of the game. This year we have an experienced, reliable quarterback who doesn’t do mindless things, and a more talented team that’s just a lot more confident and experienced. I like our chances.
    It’s possible to be quite philosophical about this game. USC doesn’t appear to be too good, and it’s got a true freshman quarterback who can get rattled by the Utes’ defense. And last season we dominated them. But with the schedule so far, we really don’t know how good the Utes really are. If they’re all they’re cracked up to be, if they’re legitimately no. 8 on the power rankings, the Utes should dominate USC in LA. That’s what Georgia or Auburn would do. So it’s finally time for the Utes to rise in the rankings by means other than a positive feedback loop from the BYU win and BYU’s surprising victories the past two weeks. The Utes are what they are. And we’ll find out if they are as hyped and what we’ve hoped.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    It’s possible to be quite philosophical about this game. USC doesn’t appear to be too good, and it’s got a true freshman quarterback who can get rattled by the Utes’ defense. And last season we dominated them. But with the schedule so far, we really don’t know how good the Utes really are. If they’re all they’re cracked up to be, if they’re legitimately no. 8 on the power rankings, the Utes should dominate USC in LA. That’s what Georgia or Auburn would do. So it’s finally time for the Utes to rise in the rankings by means other than a positive feedback loop from the BYU win and BYU’s surprising victories the past two weeks. The Utes are what they are. And we’ll find out if they are as hyped and what we’ve hoped.
    Well said.

--Yeats

I feel badly that I don't think things feel different. We sure look a lot like all the other Utah teams of the past 5 years to me. We have an underpowered offense that relies on the run game, and we will in general depend on our defense to win games.

I'm not complaining. We've had some great teams in the past 5 years. We've been ranked more often than not, and we've deserved those rankings at the end of the season.

We may win the Pac-12. Any of those recent good teams were capable of winning the conference, but they all came up short. This could be the team that gets over the hump. What does feel different is that the conference feels rather weak.

Anyway, neither a win nor a loss this Friday would be very surprising. We are very slight favorites in Vegas, and USC is slightly favored by ESPN's computers.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I feel badly that I don't think things feel different. We sure look a lot like all the other Utah teams of the past 5 years to me. We have an underpowered offense that relies on the run game, and we will in general depend on our defense to win games.

I'm not complaining. We've had some great teams in the past 5 years. We've been ranked more often than not, and we've deserved those rankings at the end of the season.

We may win the Pac-12. Any of those recent good teams were capable of winning the conference, but they all came up short. This could be the team that gets over the hump. What does feel different is that the conference feels rather weak.

Anyway, neither a win nor a loss this Friday would be very surprising. We are very slight favorites in Vegas, and USC is slightly favored by ESPN's computers.
    My gut feeling is just that, a gut feeling. My mind rebels against getting too carried away. What we have this year that we did not have in the last 5 years are:

• A deeply experienced D-1 OC.

• A senior quarterback who's not perfect, but has more athleticism than we've seen at Utah in some time, maybe ever; and who doesn't tend to make stupid mistakes.

• Our most athletic set of receivers ever.

So there's reason to be optimistic, but as Seattle said, we don't know enough yet.

--Yeats

This didn’t sound right, and for once it seems my memory hasn’t betrayed me. (Which my wife would be really disappointed in knowing that memory concerning obscure random football trivia is much better than my “I most certainly DID tell you that” memory.)

Anyway, Google has helped sharpen my memory. I had thought Sark had been fired leading up to the game, similar to how Kiffin had been fired two years earlier right before the Utah game. Well, he was fired 12 days before and Helton had lost to #17 Notre Dame by 10 in his first game as head coach the Saturday before. For unexplained reasons, the line came out on Sunday as USC -3. And I remember it moving further out over the week. I have a friend here who’s a professional sports gambler (and Utah alum) who I had randomly ran into that week and I asked him what do the sports books know that the rest of us didn’t?

https://fansided.com/2015/10/18/utah...jans-favorite/

So, here we are, two years later. But this time we were the sport book favorites and that number has moved further in our favor throughout the day since it was released this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We need to hit them early and make all those 5* guys start worrying about their NFL careers.

I believe that as usual we will run to set up pass. We will not change who we are and what we do well. Go Utes!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    This didn’t sound right, and for once it seems my memory hasn’t betrayed me. (Which my wife would be really disappointed in knowing that memory concerning obscure random football trivia is much better than my “I most certainly DID tell you that” memory.)

Anyway, Google has helped sharpen my memory. I had thought Sark had been fired leading up to the game, similar to how Kiffin had been fired two years earlier right before the Utah game. Well, he was fired 12 days before and Helton had lost to #17 Notre Dame by 10 in his first game as head coach the Saturday before. For unexplained reasons, the line came out on Sunday as USC -3. And I remember it moving further out over the week. I have a friend here who’s a professional sports gambler (and Utah alum) who I had randomly ran into that week and I asked him what do the sports books know that the rest of us didn’t?

https://fansided.com/2015/10/18/utah...jans-favorite/

So, here we are, two years later. But this time we were the sport book favorites and that number has moved further in our favor throughout the day since it was released this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I could have sworn the Utes were favored, but you are right; they weren't. And I agree with Sancho; I have yet to be convinced of this team's superiority to past Utah teams.

I have yet to be convinced of this team's superiority to past Utah teams.
    I think anyone who has been watching for the past few years agrees. I still expect a 9-3 or 8-4 season. I still like our chances against USC.

--Yeats

I think anyone who has been watching for the past few years agrees. I still expect a 9-3 or 8-4 season. I still like our chances against USC.
    You are all well-trained ute fans. For us in any sport it always feels like disappointment lurks just around the corner.

I will say about Urban, he inspired massive confidence for me with his teams. I always went into a game expecting to win.

From Kragthorpe’s report on Whit’s presser today:

Only twice in eight meetings, however, have the Utes been overwhelmed by USC. In 2012, the Trojans led 38-21 before the Utes added a last-minute touchdown. Yet USC led by only three points after three quarters. The Trojans won 42-24 in Los Angeles in 2015, although the No. 3 Utes were ahead 21-7 before “throwing three interceptions to the same linebacker,” as Whittingham accurately recalled.
    https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-u...feeling-fresh/

I had forgotten that we were up 21-7 before those picks began. I was at the game, too. I may be repressing my memories. Who would blame me?
    Last edited by LA Ute; 09-16-2019 at 02:26 PM.

--Yeats

From Kragthorpe’s report on Whit’s presser today:

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-u...feeling-fresh/

I had forgotten that we were up 21-7 before those picks began. I was at the game, too. I may be repressing my memories. Who would blame me?
    I'm such the "Actually" meme personified in this thread.

Actually.png

Trojans.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    You are all well-trained ute fans. For us in any sport it always feels like disappointment lurks just around the corner.

I will say about Urban, he inspired massive confidence for me with his teams. I always went into a game expecting to win.
    Different style of play, and in fairness, he did inherit a first string of excellent athletes. Kragthorpe lays out Whit’s philosophy:

A comedian once described football as short segments of violence, in between committee meetings. The description was more accurate when huddling was a standard part of the game.
    Utah coach Kyle Whittingham believes in that old-school approach. In an era of fast-paced football, with many offenses designed to run plays as quickly as possible, the No. 10 Utes are defying the trend. They huddle frequently, effectively shortening games for both their offensive and defensive players.

Whittingham is convinced that strategy helps his team — especially during a short week leading up to a Friday game, as in the case of Utah’s Pac-12 opener at USC.

Playing slower “reduces the wear and tear on your players,” Whittingham said Monday, during his weekly news conference. “That's something that matters. People say it doesn't matter. It does matter.”

Utah used a no-huddle, fast-paced offense in 2014, when Whittingham hired Dave Christensen as his offensive coordinator. Whittingham dialed back the tempo in the middle of that season, however, and has stuck with a more traditional approach since then, with three subsequent play-callers. Current coordinator Andy Ludwig’s scheme requires substitutions of personnel groups and pre-snap decisions by quarterback Tyler Huntley. Although the Utes have not been penalized for delay of game this season, they do take their time between plays.

Utah’s defense has played its part in getting extra rest, as well. The Utes have shut down BYU, Northern Illinois and Idaho State in the second halves of their three wins, repeatedly forcing punts and getting takeaways. The result is the Utes have defended only 159 plays, the fewest in the country for a team that has played three games. Idaho State’s offense ran only 48 plays, gaining 116 yards.

Utah’s 341 total plays are markedly fewer than USC’s 437 plays. Factoring in how Utah’s starters were on the sidelines for most of Saturday’s second half of a 31-0 win over ISU, Whittingham said, “We feel pretty fresh.”
    It’s Kyleball, and we should expect nothing more or less. Before anyone gets upset, this is not a criticism of Kyle, just an attempt to describe his offensive philosophy the way others see it and the way Kyle himself describes it. It’s an approach that generally works quite well. I do think that claims that Kyle really doesn’t get involved in the offense ignore this type of philosophy, which Utah has followed for some time, regardless of who the offensive coordinator is.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 09-16-2019 at 02:57 PM.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post

This team has a swagger about them that reminds me of that 2004 team. I never felt confident about any game in 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    I'm such the "Actually" meme personified in this thread.
    Wow. I guess Kraqthorpe got it wrong. I honestly was surprised to see any claim that we were ever head by that margin.

--Yeats

It wasn't a comedian:

“Football combines two of the worst things in American life. It is violence punctuated by committee meetings.”

George Will

Different style of play, and in fairness, he did inherit a first string of excellent athletes. Kragthorpe lays out Whit’s philosophy:

It’s Kyleball, and we should expect nothing more or less. Before anyone gets upset, this is not a criticism of Kyle, just an attempt to describe his offensive philosophy the way others see it and the way Kyle himself describes it. It’s an approach that generally works quite well. I do think that claims that Kyle really doesn’t get involved in the offense ignore this type of philosophy, which Utah has followed for some time, regardless of who the offensive coordinator is.
    Kyle explained it a bit more in his presser today.

Someone asked about the short week and what it means. Kyle said physically not much. Because we aren’t going at light speed our guys are playing less snaps and thus are more fresh.

He said over the course of a season an extra 20-30 snaps a game equates to playing 2-3 more games. I hadn’t really thought about it that way, it’s a unique thought process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    It wasn't a comedian:

“Football combines two of the worst things in American life. It is violence punctuated by committee meetings.”

George Will
    Some people find George Will funny. He also said, "Baseball is Heaven's gift to mortals," and "Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona. Not all holes, or games, are created equal." I think he likes baseball better than football.

--Yeats

Some people find George Will funny. He also said, "Baseball is Heaven's gift to mortals," and "Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona. Not all holes, or games, are created equal." I think he likes baseball better than football.

Will is very witty. No question he loves baseball and hates football. I agree with him. Baseball is one of my three favorite things, along with watching paint dry and grass grow.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Will is very witty. No question he loves baseball and hates football. I agree with him. Baseball is one of my three favorite things, along with watching paint dry and grass grow.
    Loving baseball is an intellectual's thing. Sort of like "progressives" who drive Volvos and Subarus and haven't cared much about sports love soccer all of a sudden. I'm not too interested in efforts to define themselves that way. But I went through a phase where I loved George Will, when I was a youth.

I think basketball is clearly superior to all, for many reasons, but I'm in the unfortunate situation in which my town kicked out our NBA team and my alma mater college programs are a mess and not likely to right themselves soon.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Loving baseball is an intellectual's thing. Sort of like "progressives" who drive Volvos and Subarus and haven't cared much about sports love soccer all of a sudden. I'm not too interested in efforts to define themselves that way. But I went through a phase where I loved George Will, when I was a youth.

I think basketball is clearly superior to all, for many reasons, but I'm in the unfortunate situation in which my town kicked out our NBA team and my alma mater college programs are a mess and not likely to right themselves soon.
    Basketball might have been superior at some point, but the NBA has turned a great team game into something I can no longer watch.

Saw this on Facebook, from Eric Lund. It has the ring of truth:

Scouting Report on SC: It has the most talented athletes of any program in the PAC. This is a match up problem for most teams to overcome. However, SC is overly reliant on its athletic prowess and this has resulted in its systemic lack of discipline and a program built on entitlement. Receivers don't run strong, sharp routes, instead they rely on quickness, speed, and jumping ability. They also are poor run and pass blockers. The d-line similarly is undisciplined and doesn't fill the proper gaps allowing for holes to open up. SC can be worn down late in the game and is prone to making mistakes. Because of this, irrespective of the high level of talent, SC won't win the PAC and is susceptible to other losses. I see Utah exploiting these weaknesses on Friday night.
    I believe that if we win, it will be because we played smart and disciplined and they did not. If an Urban Meyer type ever becomes HC at USC, success against them will become much more difficult for us and for the rest of the PAC-12.

--Yeats