Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122

Thread: Random chat thread

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    This site is NOT winding down. Changes are coming! Stay tuned!

(Does anyone under the age of 30 even know what "stay tuned" means anymore?)
    This is also where I want to be...except not here. I want these people but on a site that works. I keep saying this - why not use one of the free options? Rocker is putting time and money into utefans. We shouldn't expect him to put time/money into utahby5. Why not use a free site (either slack or discord)? They work well, and their apps work well. This is how the kids are doing it, and I think someone (LAUte) is going to end up spending time/money unnecessarily.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    This is also where I want to be...except not here. I want these people but on a site that works. I keep saying this - why not use one of the free options? Rocker is putting time and money into utefans. We shouldn't expect him to put time/money into utahby5. Why not use a free site (either slack or discord)? They work well, and their apps work well. This is how the kids are doing it, and I think someone (LAUte) is going to end up spending time/money unnecessarily.
    FWIW I think UFN has been the learning curve for what we COULD do with this site. LA and I have chatted a bit about this and both agree (and it seems you all do too) that we like the community and tone of this board, just not the tech. So, as far as time spent to migrate to a like platform like we did for UFN would be pretty straight forward. Plus that software is open-source and free - so might even save some dough compared to now (I'm not sure what that cost is actually).

So... with nobody asking my opinion, what I would personally do is migrate Utahby5 to Discourse and keep it separate (even though I think the tone on UFN is like night and day different than what it was). If you are wondering what it might be like, go sign up at https://www.utefans.net and dig around.

Some pros to doing this:

1. We'd get a tech that works and works really well I think
    2. We can actually migrate all of the vbulletin info that is here to the new service (an option not available for the old UFN)
    3. We keep a similar forum structure that encourages ongoing conversations - UFN members are still getting trained on this notion due to the old format they are familiar with
    4. Lots of good stuff with the new platform that will prevent spam, ensure ongoing maintenance etc.

I'm just someone willing to help out, and that is just my opinion. All of you are much smarter than me, but I'd like to preserve this community as well. Plus it is a great place to contain all of the Larry K apologists... amirite?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    FWIW I think UFN has been the learning curve for what we COULD do with this site. LA and I have chatted a bit about this and both agree (and it seems you all do too) that we like the community and tone of this board, just not the tech. So, as far as time spent to migrate to a like platform like we did for UFN would be pretty straight forward. Plus that software is open-source and free - so might even save some dough compared to now (I'm not sure what that cost is actually).

So... with nobody asking my opinion, what I would personally do is migrate Utahby5 to Discourse and keep it separate (even though I think the tone on UFN is like night and day different than what it was). If you are wondering what it might be like, go sign up at https://www.utefans.net and dig around.

Some pros to doing this:

1. We'd get a tech that works and works really well I think
    2. We can actually migrate all of the vbulletin info that is here to the new service (an option not available for the old UFN)
    3. We keep a similar forum structure that encourages ongoing conversations - UFN members are still getting trained on this notion due to the old format they are familiar with
    4. Lots of good stuff with the new platform that will prevent spam, ensure ongoing maintenance etc.

I'm just someone willing to help out, and that is just my opinion. All of you are much smarter than me, but I'd like to preserve this community as well. Plus it is a great place to contain all of the Larry K apologists... amirite?
    Question about the new utefans.net, is it a brand new site or just a new platform? Like, does my previous log account still exist or would I need to create a new one?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Question about the new utefans.net, is it a brand new site or just a new platform? Like, does my previous log account still exist or would I need to create a new one?
    You need to create a new one. All new site. 100% less misogyny and brainless political banner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want this guy to narrate all stories.

There's a story here.

what.jpg

If you had asked me two days ago how much money the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints had in reserve, I would have said "I dunno, maybe $100 billion?" I think it's funny this guy wrote an 80 page manifesto, relishing the thought of taking down the Church and planning on receiving a massive financial reward. He might as well put forth his arm to stop the Missouri river.

If you had asked me two days ago how much money the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints had in reserve, I would have said "I dunno, maybe $100 billion?" I think it's funny this guy wrote an 80 page manifesto, relishing the thought of taking down the Church and planning on receiving a massive financial reward. He might as well put forth his arm to stop the Missouri river.
    It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out. As an LDS contributor, I don't believe funds are misused. That does not mean that everything from a tax standpoint is kosher. Unfortunately, I was involved in several legal matters involving the Church on building construction and there were some guys who believed that the "ends" justified the means. As a general principle, I would like to see all entities claiming non-profit status be required to make financial statements public. As it stands now, religions are exempt from that requirement.

Some national "experts" have weighed in and said that there is nothing wrong with how the church supposedly was using these funds. The President of Ensign Peak (who is about the nicest, most down-to-earth and humble guy you could ever meet) said that this is silly and that they have not done anything wrong.

So Donald Trump has been impeached. Good. What's the timeline on the Senate stuff? Will Mitt Romney stay true to his principles or to his constituents? Will LA Ute be the last principled Republican left in the party at the end of it all?

The GOP did this to itself. If they had stayed true to principle all along, there would be a dozen strong presidential candidates to fall back on in case of impeachment. But because they sold out, there are no backup plans for 2020.

So Donald Trump has been impeached. Good. What's the timeline on the Senate stuff? Will Mitt Romney stay true to his principles or to his constituents? Will LA Ute be the last principled Republican left in the party at the end of it all?

The GOP did this to itself. If they had stayed true to principle all along, there would be a dozen strong presidential candidates to fall back on in case of impeachment. But because they sold out, there are no backup plans for 2020.

Additionally, with Mark Meadows bowing out because he can't use his gerrymandered district anymore, that makes 21 GOP congressmen who have decided to not run in 2020.

while I'd like to see Trump removed from office, does anyone think there are 2/3 rds of the Senate that would oust him? I don't think that's realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    while I'd like to see Trump removed from office, does anyone think there are 2/3 rds of the Senate that would oust him? I don't think that's realistic.

No. He won't be removed. Pelosi knows that too so there isn't a reason to rush it.

My guess is the house will drag this out to keep his impeachment in the news as long as possible into the campaigning season.

I have 5 kids and 3 bedrooms. We have the 4 girls (the Fab Four: Penny Lane, Lucy, Molly Jones, and Lovely Rita) in a bedroom together.

We've been thinking about adding a room over our garage. Then the girls could be split.

My question: is this a good or bad time to be thinking about this? I don't want to use the money I was saving in mutual funds because those have gone down 25% or more. I did save some of the necessary money in a savings account (1% interest!), but I won't have enough to pay cash. Is it crazy to think about a loan for this? Which would make more sense - HELOC or a Home Equity Loan? I don't know about these things. We are 7 years into a 30 year mortgage, and the value of the home has increased a lot over the 7 years since we bought.

This isn't urgent. We could wait a few years and hope for an economic recovery. I wonder if I can get better rates now, though, and I wonder if contractors' rates will be lower in a recession.

I have 5 kids and 3 bedrooms. We have the 4 girls (the Fab Four: Penny Lane, Lucy, Molly Jones, and Lovely Rita) in a bedroom together.

We've been thinking about adding a room over our garage. Then the girls could be split.

My question: is this a good or bad time to be thinking about this? I don't want to use the money I was saving in mutual funds because those have gone down 25% or more. I did save some of the necessary money in a savings account (1% interest!), but I won't have enough to pay cash. Is it crazy to think about a loan for this? Which would make more sense - HELOC or a Home Equity Loan? I don't know about these things. We are 7 years into a 30 year mortgage, and the value of the home has increased a lot over the 7 years since we bought.

This isn't urgent. We could wait a few years and hope for an economic recovery. I wonder if I can get better rates now, though, and I wonder if contractors' rates will be lower in a recession.
    My suggestion is a HELOC... rates are historically low. I would hold on to my cash.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

These things really come down to what your tolerance to risk is. There are a lot of people who say "Pay cash" and that can be an effective strategy if your tolerance for risk is low. However, if you have a pretty secure job and and are ok with a little risk a low rate HELOC would allow you to keep your cash.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    These things really come down to what your tolerance to risk is. There are a lot of people who say "Pay cash" and that can be an effective strategy if your tolerance for risk is low. However, if you have a pretty secure job and and are ok with a little risk a low rate HELOC would allow you to keep your cash.
    Thanks. My job is secure. I would pay cash if I had it, but I lost a lot of cash over the past few weeks. I think we want to stay in this house forever (or until we move somewhere warn in retirement). I feel okay about a loan, but I'm completely in the dark about how these things work. I'll look into a HELOC.

My early searching shows that if you take out more money, you can get a lower rate. But what stops you from taking out more money for the low rate and then just putting the extra back into principal? Or, as I understand a HELOC, you can take out more and then just not use it. Like a credit card with a high limit but you never max it out. These questions make me think there are aspects of a HELOC that I don't understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post

Thanks MRD

Thanks. My job is secure. I would pay cash if I had it, but I lost a lot of cash over the past few weeks. I think we want to stay in this house forever (or until we move somewhere warn in retirement). I feel okay about a loan, but I'm completely in the dark about how these things work. I'll look into a HELOC.

My early searching shows that if you take out more money, you can get a lower rate. But what stops you from taking out more money for the low rate and then just putting the extra back into principal? Or, as I understand a HELOC, you can take out more and then just not use it. Like a credit card with a high limit but you never max it out. These questions make me think there are aspects of a HELOC that I don't understand.
    Another option is doing a mortgage refinance with cash-out. It depends on how much equity you have, and you probably want to keep the cash out plus loan under 80% to avoid PMI. But if you can refi for a rate less than .5% than what you have now, it may be worth it.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Another option is doing a mortgage refinance with cash-out. It depends on how much equity you have, and you probably want to keep the cash out plus loan under 80% to avoid PMI. But if you can refi for a rate less than .5% than what you have now, it may be worth it.
    Thanks. I was lucky to buy at a super low rate (3.25%), so I don't think a refinance is doable.

We opened a HELOC with our CU several years ago, and used it once as a bridge on a cash purchase. It's good for our situation as we're in the stage of life where our kids are **ahem** "adults" and we're debt free, so it's truly a way to access emergency funds lightning fast. I don't see it happening.....but never know I suppose. A HELOC works well if you're disciplined and will only access it on a planned project. If you're an impulse buyer, maybe look at other options.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    If you're an impulse buyer, maybe look at other options.
    I'm a tightwad. I've never paid interest on a credit card. I think my home and my wife's student loan are the only things I've ever paid interest on.

This place is dead. Bury it. There's what, like one post a day on average now? Where'd everyone go....Utefans.net?....that'd be a shame as it's a daily shat-show.....at least it was for years and years.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.