Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Cougar Boards: Utah invites BYU to its house, Dec. 14, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by FountainOfUte View Post
    That's what I was thinking. Toss out Pacific as a win that means a tinker's dam. It doesn't. St. Mary's maybe barely does. To anyone NOT a fan of a WCC team, Gonzaga is the only game that matters.
    Pacific is a fringe top 50 RPI team right now. That's the only reason I put them in there. Their RPI obviously can change and likely for the worse.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Pacific is a fringe top 50 RPI team right now. That's the only reason I put them in there. Their RPI obviously can change and likely for the worse.
    And I included them in my post about St. Mary's because it's looking like that will be one of the few games that tells us if St. Mary's is in a class above the rest of the WCC, or if they're just a team that's one of the better other 8 teams in the conference.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    And I included them in my post about St. Mary's because it's looking like that will be one of the few games that tells us if St. Mary's is in a class above the rest of the WCC, or if they're just a team that's one of the better other 8 teams in the conference.
    All right, then, it's settled. Pacific stinks.

Ugly game for the zoobs yesterday. Bubble team, at this point.

Uglier still was the cougarboard like reaction on CUF.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    All right, then, it's settled. Pacific stinks.
    I see that Pacific beat Utah State yesterday. I guess it's an open question on them.

This article by Tony Jones is relevant to the BYU game:

Utah basketball: Are the Runnin’ Utes back?

The beginning paragraphs:

By the time Utah’s 90-77 win over Fresno State Saturday was complete, the numbers of the second half were nothing short of impressive. The Utes scored 50 points in the final 20 minutes. The 16 points they scored in a three-minute span gave them separation the Bulldogs never were able to narrow. Much of the damage was done in transition, pleasing those who braved the snowy weather to come to the Huntsman Center.

If the first eight games are any indication, the Runnin’ Utes may be back. Larry Krystkowiak hinted at the desire to play faster in the preseason, with players echoing the sentiment. But nothing provides more perfect proof than actually doing it. Heading into Tuesday’s home match up with Idaho State, Utah’s averaging 87.6 points per game, ranking them 11th nationally. The Utes have scored at least 80 five times, and have scored below 70 just once.

It’s a different feeling, as Krystkowiak has his team playing up-tempo basketball for the first time in his three-year stint on the hill. Instead of slowing it down, Utah’s pushing the pace. Instead of struggling to score points, the Utes are doing so in bunches.

"This is how we want to play," Krystkowiak said. "We want to get up and down. we want to run but we had to have the guys who could do this. We talked about changing the way we play over the summer as a coaching staff. We knew what we wanted to do and it’s kind of playing itself out."
    I am not sure the Utes really have been of the "Runnin'" variety since the Jack Gardner era. This is quite a change. I wonder what Krysko will do to make BYU play our transition game, instead of or trying to play theirs? I wonder what BYU's backcourt will be able to do with Wright and Taylor? This is shaping up to be a fun game.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    This article by Tony Jones is relevant to the BYU game:

Utah basketball: Are the Runnin’ Utes back?

I am not sure the Utes really have been of the "Runnin'" variety since the Jack Gardner era. This is quite a change. I wonder what Krysko will do to make BYU play our transition game, instead of or trying to play theirs? I wonder what BYU's backcourt will be able to do with Wright and Taylor? This is shaping up to be a fun game.
    One thing that has impressed me about this attacking offense is that they do it intelligently. They attack when they can, with the right guys are taking the right shots, but they pull it back out and set up the offense if they can't. We're not seeing a lot of empty possessions ending in turnovers or bad shots that are a signature of many up-tempo style teams.

eg: The Utes had 21 assists to 6 turnovers, and shot 60% from the field against Fresno State.

The key for much of Utah's transition game is Wright getting defensive rebounds. He's averaging 6 defensive boards per game. Having a PG that can rebound and make good decisions with the basketball is a huge advantage. It was one of the main reasons Miller was so effective when he was at Utah. My guess is that BYU will commit fewer guys to the offensive glass in order to keep our transition game in check. That will help us counter those long-offensive-rebound-turned-into-3 that BYU tends to get since they shoot so many 3's.

Curious stat of the day:

Utah 3pt % (8 games): 50-147 (.340)
    BYU 3pt % (10 games): 49-146 (.336)

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Curious stat of the day:

Utah 3pt % (8 games): 50-147 (.340)
    BYU 3pt % (10 games): 49-146 (.336)
    Well, BYU has faced much tougher competition than we have to arrive at that shooting percentage. We are shooting 34% against many of the worst defenses in the nation. It's possible that we drop a lot when we get into conference play.

Well, BYU has faced much tougher competition than we have to arrive at that shooting percentage. We are shooting 34% against many of the worst defenses in the nation. It's possible that we drop a lot when we get into conference play.
    I wasn't really looking at who was better. They have played two more games than we have, so it isn't a real apples/apples comparison, but I was bemused at how nearly identical they were. It was something I wasn't expecting to see given how many 3's BYU puts up. It does say that we're putting up more 3's this year than we typically do, and are hitting at a decent clip.

I saw just a bit of BYU vs. UMass. UMass has some piss and vinegar. I'd like to see their PG against a team that has even a sniff of a desire to play any defense whatsoever.

BYU's defense is so bad it's like an entire team full of Jimmers, but if Utah tries to run with them they could score 120. Really, their zone is like when a bunch of rec league guys get tired so they switch to zone, put up a lazy hand against open shots, and only put forth even a modicum of effort when they have a chance to get into a passing lane for a steal. Maybe they were just tired from all of the totally rad music video shooting, like when Shaq came back really fat after shooting Shazam and rapping all summer.

Also, Mika is a freaking beast. If he doesn't get in foul trouble, BYU is a very good team. I like him and Collinsworth a lot, although Collinsworth looks to be suffering from a horrible case of alopecia areata that he's trying to cover up with a haircut like Detlef Schrempf. Obviously Haws is just splendid. I hate Carlino. I've hated him ever since that fluke of like 7 threes in a row last year in BLEACHERDOME! They have big pasty stiffs off the bench just like Utah, and a couple of black guys that actually seem like they have run their fair share of defensive slide drills.

I don't love the Utes in this one, but I think we're in the same league as the BYU. Well, not really, but you know what I'm saying. Also, BYU fans have already started complaining about the officiating, so you know the Mighty Utes have a chance.

It would be wonderful to have some delicious Taffy Time following the contest on Saturday. I don't expect it, but it's not hopeless.

Quote Originally Posted by Senioritis View Post
    It would be wonderful to have some delicious Taffy Time following the contest on Saturday. I don't expect it, but it's not hopeless.
    I expect to win. Larry coaches defense better than Rose and we've got the best player on the floor in Wright. We're also playing at home. It's not a win that will register nationally, but we take back control of the state after Saturday night.

I hope the Utes attempt a full court press like they did against Fresno... aka the worst press I think I've ever seen. It was so comically bad I don't even know what the eventual outcome of it was.

I predict Utah wins this easily because the Deseret First Duel trophy is on the line and everybody knows it.

Collinsworth hair... LOL. I was thinking the same thing when I've seen him play a few times this year. Worst hair in college basketball.

The mullet never really worked for anyone but it looks 10x worse when you have a severely receding hairline. He might be able to pull it off if he was a hockey player but he needs to just bite the bullet and get a buzz cut or accept the fact a mullet can't compensate for what appears to be Inevitable early male alopecia.

Quote Originally Posted by Senioritis View Post
    I saw just a bit of BYU vs. UMass. UMass has some piss and vinegar. I'd like to see their PG against a team that has even a sniff of a desire to play any defense whatsoever.

BYU's defense is so bad it's like an entire team full of Jimmers, but if Utah tries to run with them they could score 120. Really, their zone is like when a bunch of rec league guys get tired so they switch to zone, put up a lazy hand against open shots, and only put forth even a modicum of effort when they have a chance to get into a passing lane for a steal. Maybe they were just tired from all of the totally rad music video shooting, like when Shaq came back really fat after shooting Shazam and rapping all summer.

Also, Mika is a freaking beast. If he doesn't get in foul trouble, BYU is a very good team. I like him and Collinsworth a lot, although Collinsworth looks to be suffering from a horrible case of alopecia areata that he's trying to cover up with a haircut like Detlef Schrempf. Obviously Haws is just splendid. I hate Carlino. I've hated him ever since that fluke of like 7 threes in a row last year in BLEACHERDOME! They have big pasty stiffs off the bench just like Utah, and a couple of black guys that actually seem like they have run their fair share of defensive slide drills.

I don't love the Utes in this one, but I think we're in the same league as the BYU. Well, not really, but you know what I'm saying. Also, BYU fans have already started complaining about the officiating, so you know the Mighty Utes have a chance.

I expect to win. Larry coaches defense better than Rose and we've got the best player on the floor in Wright. We're also playing at home. It's not a win that will register nationally, but we take back control of the state after Saturday night.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    I hope the Utes attempt a full court press like they did against Fresno... aka the worst press I think I've ever seen. It was so comically bad I don't even know what the eventual outcome of it was.

I predict Utah wins this easily because the Deseret First Duel trophy is on the line and everybody knows it.
    This thread has taken a turn for the better. I agree with Senor Itis that this is not a great matchup for us. I think Mika is going to really enjoy having Renan Lenz to throw around for 2 halves - I'm hoping for foul trouble for one of them. I also think it is a huge mistake to try and run with BYU. Yes, Tony Jones is breathless about how good the Utes are in transition, but aK Johney Dawkins what happens when you try and out-offense a team built purely for offense. If the Utes have a shot (and they do) they make BYU work for their points and then swing the ball around to find the massive, Jake-Shoff sized hole in their zone.

I think that it goes without saying that Wright and JLo need to bring their A games. We will also need Olsen/Lenz/Batshitinski to man-up and play through all the thuggishness that is coming their way.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I think Mika is going to really enjoy having Renan Lenz to throw around for 2 halves
    Mika is the key to BYU's success this game, this season, and in the next 5 years. All the Haws in thew world aren't enough to win the big games, but combine them with an impact center, and there is life. He is the only NBA potential player currently on the team or in the pipeline. If anyone has honor code violation evidence against him, it had better get mailed to the local salt lake city newspaper right away. That said, he's still just a freshman on a team full of guards who prefer to take low percentage shots. I doubt he's gone up against many 7 foot centers in his life. Let's see if he can get the hook shot off against Bach.

Mika is the key to BYU's success this game, this season, and in the next 5 years. All the Haws in thew world aren't enough to win the big games, but combine them with an impact center, and there is life. He is the only NBA potential player currently on the team or in the pipeline. If anyone has honor code violation evidence against him, it had better get mailed to the local salt lake city newspaper right away. That said, he's still just a freshman on a team full of guards who prefer to take low percentage shots. I doubt he's gone up against many 7 foot centers in his life. Let's see if he can get the hook shot off against Bach.
    This actually points to one of my concerns this year - the inability of our bigs to draw fouls and get to the line. In 310 total minutes, our three-headed center monster (sorry for excluding you, Xanadu) has only shot 39 free throws, and Lenz is the worst of the bunch at getting to the line (but not by much). I think we'd be in better shape if our bigs could get a few more easy points at the line and get opposing big men into foul trouble. If we could get 2 called on Mika in the first 10 minutes we win that game. I wonder if Wright and/or Loveridge could take it right at Mika and draw some fouls. Actually, I take it back. I think we should just start Ahmad and let Ahmad take it right at Mika over and over again. I think Ahmad draws a foul every time he touches the ball.

This actually points to one of my concerns this year - the inability of our bigs to draw fouls and get to the line.
    Collectively, I knew our guys were better about getting to the line this year over last, but here's a surprising stat: They're actually much better than Washburn was last year in this regard. He got to the line about once every 12 minutes. Batshitski, Lenz and Olson all get there once every 7-9 minutes.

Normally, Washburn's FTA rate would be deemed unacceptable for your starting center, but he took by far the highest frequency of shots on the team, as well as making more of them than anyone on the team, as evidenced by his team-high 55 percent FG%. If he could've doubled his FTA (to 140), he would've been statistically on par with Luke Nevill as a senior.

Collectively, I knew our guys were better about getting to the line this year over last, but here's a surprising stat: They're actually much better than Washburn was last year in this regard. He got to the line about once every 12 minutes. Batshitski, Lenz and Olson all get there once every 7-9 minutes.
    This probably has as much to do with tempo as with anything else.

The sad flaw of basketball as a sport is that getting the other team to break the rules is the single most important part of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    I wasn't really looking at who was better. They have played two more games than we have, so it isn't a real apples/apples comparison, but I was bemused at how nearly identical they were. It was something I wasn't expecting to see given how many 3's BYU puts up. It does say that we're putting up more 3's this year than we typically do, and are hitting at a decent clip.
    BYU is shooting far fewer 3's than in years past, last year in particular.

I think Mika is going to really enjoy having Renan Lenz to throw around for 2 halves - I'm hoping for foul trouble for one of them.
    We will also need Olsen/Lenz/Batshitinski to man-up and play through all the thuggishness that is coming their way.
    I am hopeful that we will see Kovacevic tonight and see where he is. If he can play, he could add some inside minutes against BYU.

I also think it is a huge mistake to try and run with BYU.
    I think if we play the way we have, and get out and run intelligently, we will be fine.

Ok, all of the other games are out of the way and now its on to rivalry game! I love this rivalry on the hardwood. (Which is funny, because im a very outspoken member of the "I dont care if the Holy War in football goes away forever!" club)

A few thoughts on the game:

-As TJ mentioned last night, I would think that Larry will take a long, hard look at putting Dakari back in the starting lineup. His shooting can help space the floor and give our other guys room to operate.

-I think Bach could have a big night. I have loved his energy and defensive presence this year. We'll need him to counter Mika.

-I am not sure BYU has an answer for Loveridge. They like to go with Collinsworth at the 4 with 3 guards and Mika/Austin in the middle. I don't know who guards Loveridge in that lineup. Maybe Rose will have K Collinsworth on him down the stretch, but not for the whole game. Maybe we will see more of Josh Sharp and if that is the case, that is great news for Utah.

-Carlino, Haws, Collinsworth, Mika, Bartley, Halford is an awfully tough group to defend. If we want to not get blown off the court, everyone needs to be on their A game on the defensive side of the ball. We might realize just how valuable Cedric Martin was after this game.

Ok, I now present the top 5 fan signs I have seen at BYU-Utah games

5. "Obey the Word of Drisdom"
    4. "Hey Bogut, Tim Frost's mom called, she wants her wig back!"
    3. "I hope they tattoo me on my mission, so I can play for BYU!" (parody of a popular LDS primary song, taking a shot at Elder 8 Mile)
    2. A picture of Luke Nevill next to a picture of Beaker from the muppets with the words "seperated at birth?" underneath
    1. This wasn't at the game, but my sister saw a homeless person up at the U once and his sign just simply said "BYU is not very good" ha! I love that!

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Ok, all of the other games are out of the way and now its on to rivalry game! I love this rivalry on the hardwood. (Which is funny, because im a very outspoken member of the "I dont care if the Holy War in football goes away forever!" club)
    Funny, I have better memories associated with the football rivalry. Bigger moments. But there have been some great moments in basketball too.

This is the first time we have gone up against a quality big man. We'll see how that goes.

If Loveridge is shooting well, he will be very hard for them to handle.

Another shooter - Tucker or Taylor - will have to make some big threes.

Our defense is suspect, and I expect them to score a lot.

3. "I hope they tattoo me on my mission, so I can play for BYU!" (parody of a popular LDS primary song, taking a shot at Elder 8 Mile)
    (Takes a bow).

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    (Takes a bow).
    Jerk.

-As TJ mentioned last night, I would think that Larry will take a long, hard look at putting Dakari back in the starting lineup. His shooting can help space the floor and give our other guys room to operate.

-I think Bach could have a big night. I have loved his energy and defensive presence this year. We'll need him to counter Mika.

-I am not sure BYU has an answer for Loveridge. They like to go with Collinsworth at the 4 with 3 guards and Mika/Austin in the middle. I don't know who guards Loveridge in that lineup. Maybe Rose will have K Collinsworth on him down the stretch, but not for the whole game. Maybe we will see more of Josh Sharp and if that is the case, that is great news for Utah.

-Carlino, Haws, Collinsworth, Mika, Bartley, Halford is an awfully tough group to defend. If we want to not get blown off the court, everyone needs to be on their A game on the defensive side of the ball. We might realize just how valuable Cedric Martin was after this game.

2. A picture of Luke Nevill next to a picture of Beaker from the muppets with the words "seperated at birth?" underneath
    1. This wasn't at the game, but my sister saw a homeless person up at the U once and his sign just simply said "BYU is not very good" ha! I love that!
    Looking at Carlino's stats, he shoots less the 29% from the 3 and has taken more than twice as many as any other player. Given he's not known for his defense, if you look at his numbers, you could make an extremely good argument that BYU is better off with him on the bench the whole game and instead give all of his minutes to Bartley and Halford.

Carlino is a liability. Yet, BYU let's him run around and take shitty shots, hoping he catches fire and turns into Jimmer. Guys like Carlino make me hate basketball. He has no business getting the minutes he gets and he had no business getting the pub he got coming out of high school.

Play the odds and hope BYU plays him a ton of minutes.
    Last edited by Two Utes; 12-11-2013 at 03:49 PM.

BYU rarely plays man defense (do they ever?). Collinsworth would be a tough matchup for JLo - he's the Cougars best defender and his length would challenge Loveridge. But if BYU goes man, the first order of business should be a pick and roll with Wright and whoever is being guarded by Mika.

But Dave Rose is not an idiot: he'll zone us and take a chance that we can't hit from outside and then punish us on the break when we miss.

Jerk.
    Look, I don't know where you got the idea that it would be cool to get a "barbed wire" on your....do you still call it a bicep?....on your mission. Don't come after me for pointing out your folly.

I predict that all attention from BYU will focus, rightfully so, on shutting down Wright and Loveridge, they'll shut down one but not both. We'll also see some breakouts from guys like Tucker, Onwas and Taylor.

The key to shutting down Haws is to bump him and bump often. He can't overcome genetics and after getting bumped a few times his need to whine to the refs just like his father will overpower his will to just play basketball. Knowing this is the weakness of Haws, were I Rose I'd be instructing his teammates to be giving him gratuitous nut shots around campus until he got over it.

Thyroid is going to attempt to have a game of a lifetime, but I fear that it will go down like the battle of the brothers last year. Two fouls in 1 minute and the rest of the time on the bench. I hope not though, 'my favorite player that never was' is flashing some promise.

Lenz is going to hit 4 hook shots.

Oh... and Kodiak is going to blow his timeouts for no good reason again. Anyone notice last night how he called a timeout 20 seconds before the media timeout? This has got to stop. Put an assistant on it to approve whether we can have a timeout or not.

That being said, the crowd will be a factor. The Utes will crack the BYU zone with ease and either Loveridge or Wright will have 20+ pts, 10+ boards, 8+ assists but not both. Tucker, Onwas or Taylor will have a career high and PVD will have one 3pointer that will get the locals riled up.

Utah wins 92-80.

Mika's rebounds per game is, surprisingly, a tad low. I was told that this guy was the second coming. He's very good. Not phenomenal
    Last edited by Two Utes; 12-11-2013 at 03:04 PM.

My favorite basketball sign of all time was one I saw two Utah students holding during a February game at the Huntsman Center back in the early 90's. The game was during the week SI released their annual swimsuit issue. If memory serves, there was an also an article in the same issue on BYU basketball and the Reid family.

Anyway, these guys had blonde colored mops or wigs on their heads (ala the wannabe So Cal surfer Reid boys) and had a sign that said "Randy & Robby: The two biggest boobs in the swimsuit issue" I think that one is worthy of your top 5 as well.