Thread: A sports television thread

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Anyone here using SlingTV exclusively, and can comment on the quality and price? I'm looking to ditch Comcast, and would rather not go with either of the satellite companies.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Anyone here using SlingTV exclusively, and can comment on the quality and price? I'm looking to ditch Comcast, and would rather not go with either of the satellite companies.
    Don't dump comcast to go with a satellite company. Comcast is a million times better. Do dump comcast to go with nothing. I'd be happy with just Netflix, HBO and PAC-12 Network. And now that I can stream the PAC-12 network...I might be done with Comcast as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    Don't dump comcast to go with a satellite company. Comcast is a million times better.
    Man... your experience is significantly different than mine, that's for sure.

Re Comcast, you need to live in an area where Google Fiber is moving in. We just renewed with Comcast for two years--they upgraded internet speed to 250 and upgraded our modem and router to their fastest avaiable, gave us HBO, Showtime and lots of other channels that we didn't subscribe to before, gave us a DVR, which we didn't have before, and reduced our monthly bill from about $250 to $130, for internet, cable, and landline. CenturyLink is going around our neighborhood making similar offers.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Re Comcast, you need to live in an area where Google Fiber is moving in. We just renewed with Comcast for two years--they upgraded internet speed to 250 and upgraded our modem and router to their fastest avaiable, gave us HBO, Showtime and lots of other channels that we didn't subscribe to before, gave us a DVR, which we didn't have before, and reduced our monthly bill from about $250 to $130, for internet, cable, and landline. CenturyLink is going around our neighborhood making similar offers.
    Yup, Google Fiber has already saved me a ton of money, and I don't even have it yet.

I did the same with CenturyLink (threatened to switch to Google Fiber) and I am currently paying $24/mo for 100mbps.

-------

For the questions above about quality of SlingTV, I cut the cord a few years back now and have streamed Netflix, done over the air (or wireless TV as I like to call it) and have turned Sling on and off as needed.

I've been fairly happy with the quality of SlingTV although the user interface is a bit clunky, but that is true of everything that isn't regular TV. I've been streaming HD and the picture is fine. On occasion it will get pixelated, but I'm not sure if that is a Sling problem or a bandwidth problem. Like most streaming media it can be up to 30 seconds behind live TV, so you may want to ditch your phone during the games if you are like my family and text each other during events.

If those things are issues for you, you may want to wait a bit. I don't get hung up on it myself, but it will be an adjustment.

For those keeping score, here is my current TV/Phone/Internet expense:

1. Ooma Landline Phone: One time $99 charge, free* after that (*you still have to pay about $3 in taxes, emergency service fees)
    2. CenturyLink Internet: $24/mo
    3. TV - Netflix: $8.99/mo, SlingTV with sports package, $24.99 month (month to month so I turn it on and off)

Monthly that is ~$60/mo during sports, ~$35/mo off-season

Other upfront expenses:
    Roku or AppleTV for each TV (we just have two) $59 to $159 - The newest AppleTV allows for app development and has a SlingTV app, and is my favorite interface. If it had the Amazon Prime player we'd probably drop netflix. It also allows me to easily stream my computer or iPhone onto my TV. Roku is good and has more apps, likely has a screen sharing app for PCs. Amazon Fire Sticks are $30, but a little slow and clunky.

The best part is my kids have no tolerance for TV ads, can't stand them. When we watch normal TV they are get way irritated that their show has been paused for high intensity noise.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    So what's in the sports package? Espn channels, Fox channels? Does it give me the ability to stream on the espn and Fox apps?
    Looks like ESPN comes in the orange package. Fox Sports is in the sports package.

My big issue would be the lack of major networks. (No CBS no ABC). I DVR everything, it's nice to be able to DVR and watch in whatever room I want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    So what's in the sports package? Espn channels, Fox channels? Does it give me the ability to stream on the espn and Fox apps?
    So far as I know, it gets every Sports Network, including all the conference networks, MLB, NFL, NBA, Golf Channel. I stream the Pac-12 network on my laptop. I'm not aware of any sporting event I have been unable to watch that I wanted to.
    In fact, I could stream games on the Pac-12 network that were not on the mountain Network on television. So you could get all the regional networks streamed. Now that's not going to be a problem, because I understand all the feeds will have the national games
    Last edited by concerned; 09-08-2016 at 08:54 PM.