Thread: Sports Media (local and national)

Hybrid View

I like David James. It's too bad he's not been able to dump his moldy scab of a co-host. I actually think DJ has a good mix of a real passionate sports fan with a knack for objectivity, and in this market has been able to stay neutral in the BYU/Utah tug o' war.

I also like Hans Olsen. I was skeptical of him given his Y roots, but he really is a knowledgeable guy and a fun personality.

Also, I'll throw some props to Bolerjack. I think he's lost a step from his heyday at KSL and Sports Beat. But he really is a good talent and a pretty likeable guy. It's too bad he had to kiss so much BYU butt while at KSL.

Maybe this is my place to send some love to Hot Rod Hundley. He was a crazy drunk, but he was OUR crazy drunk. Following the Jazz just hasn't been the same with him gone.

I'm neutral on Spence Checketts, but I think he's trending the wrong way for me.

On the other end of the spectrum, PK is an absolute joke to the industry. I don't know how he hangs on.

I'm starting to sour on Monsen. I used to like him, but he just seems tired, and old, and cranky in the last few years. It's not that he hates the U or the Y, he just seems to be tired of the whole Utah market and everything in it. It's like he needs to move on for a fresh start, but he won't or can't. He just seems to have an utter disdain for the whole thing.

I think the best writer has been Doug Robinson of the Desnews. But I don't think he writes sports any longer, does he.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I think the best writer has been Doug Robinson of the Desnews. But I don't think he writes sports any longer, does he.
    Once in a while, but I doubt he puts much work into it, as based on this piece last week on Fredette.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...te.html?pg=all

I really enjoy Jay Drews work. I read him when I am looking for BYU stuff. Everyone else who covers BYU around here (Wrubell, Sheperd, harmon, Call, etc. etc) is a die-hard BYU fan.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I really enjoy Jay Drews work. I read him when I am looking for BYU stuff. Everyone else who covers BYU around here (Wrubell, Sheperd, harmon, Call, etc. etc) is a die-hard BYU fan.
    I'd say Drew has become a BYU fan if he wasn't one. I find his stuff to be almost like it was written by BYU's SID a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    I'd say Drew has become a BYU fan if he wasn't one. I find his stuff to be almost like it was written by BYU's SID a lot
    Well, if he wants to be kept in the good graces of those that release information, then his work over time will look more and more like the rest of the herd.

On the topic at hand, I listen to a lot of sports radio. During drive time, there is a lot out there. I wouldn't say much of it is good, but at least I can change the channel to something else if discussion of alien invaders, fishing stories, or soccer pop up. The best segments are interviews and any time Tony Jones or Dirk Facer are on. I don't read ANY of the local print media. I haven't for years. There is better information for the PAC12 blog, Utezone, and now UB5.
    "You can do a lot in a lifetime, if you don't burn out too fast. You can make the most of the distance. First, you need endurance. First, you've got to last." - Neil Pert

Quote Originally Posted by Jeromy in SLC View Post
    Well, if he wants to be kept in the good graces of those that release information, then his work over time will look more and more like the rest of the herd.

On the topic at hand, I listen to a lot of sports radio. During drive time, there is a lot out there. I wouldn't say much of it is good, but at least I can change the channel to something else if discussion of alien invaders, fishing stories, or soccer pop up. The best segments are interviews and any time Tony Jones or Dirk Facer are on. I don't read ANY of the local print media. I haven't for years. There is better information for the PAC12 blog, Utezone, and now UB5.

I like how you hit all three stations with your examples there: 1320 KFAN (alien invaders) 1280 (fishing stories) or soccer (ESPN700)

For me, Gunther and Graham are the worst. Seriously, those guys have the class and maturity of a group of 8th graders in a burping contest. 1280 is dull. I stick with ESPN 700 almost all the time

Quote Originally Posted by FountainOfUte View Post
    I like David James. It's too bad he's not been able to dump his moldy scab of a co-host. I actually think DJ has a good mix of a real passionate sports fan with a knack for objectivity, and in this market has been able to stay neutral in the BYU/Utah tug o' war.

I also like Hans Olsen. I was skeptical of him given his Y roots, but he really is a knowledgeable guy and a fun personality.

Also, I'll throw some props to Bolerjack. I think he's lost a step from his heyday at KSL and Sports Beat. But he really is a good talent and a pretty likeable guy. It's too bad he had to kiss so much BYU butt while at KSL.

Maybe this is my place to send some love to Hot Rod Hundley. He was a crazy drunk, but he was OUR crazy drunk. Following the Jazz just hasn't been the same with him gone.

I'm neutral on Spence Checketts, but I think he's trending the wrong way for me.

On the other end of the spectrum, PK is an absolute joke to the industry. I don't know how he hangs on.

I'm starting to sour on Monsen. I used to like him, but he just seems tired, and old, and cranky in the last few years. It's not that he hates the U or the Y, he just seems to be tired of the whole Utah market and everything in it. It's like he needs to move on for a fresh start, but he won't or can't. He just seems to have an utter disdain for the whole thing.
    I agree with all that you said. Monson has become a joke. Hes about stirring the pot more than commenting on the news. Spence is ok sometimes. I REALLY miss the Bill and Spence show..........

Agree completely on DJ and PK. I havent listened to them in a while, I prefer Dan Patrick.