Thread: The Higher Education Thread

Hybrid View

Um, guys, it's an art project. My daughter's a student at the U and studying for finals in the library right now. Everyone there is laughing about this. It's giving the students some welcome comic relief.

Visual artist Nemo Miller has installed a cry closet" in a library at the University of Utah, where she is a student. The piece is designed to allow students 10-minute secluded crying sessions — a must for anyone even remotely close to taking a final....

https://mashable.com/2018/04/25/cry-closet-university-of-utah-art-project/#arcv4K.Qiaqu

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Um, guys, it's an art project. My daughter's a student at the U and studying for finals in the library right now. Everyone there is laughing about this. It's giving the students some welcome comic relief.

https://mashable.com/2018/04/25/cry-closet-university-of-utah-art-project/#arcv4K.Qiaqu
    They’re an artist, not a comedian, and the art is not meant to be funny, but is sincere ...
    Last edited by tooblue; 04-27-2018 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    They’re an artist, not a comedian, and the art is not meant to be funny, but is sincere ...
    First, I assume you’ve spoken with the artist to know what she, not they, intended. Also, your point is not clear. Can you elaborate? In other words, do you have anything important to say, or are you just engaging in the lamest trolling imaginable? We do try to have friendly, respectful conversations here, but you seem to want to challenge that order. Almost constantly. It’s very interesting.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

First, I assume you’ve spoken with the artist to know what she, not they, intended. Also, your point is not clear. Can you elaborate? In other words, do you have anything important to say, or are you just engaging in the lamest trolling imaginable? We do try to have friendly, respectful conversations here, but you seem to want to challenge that order. Almost constantly. It’s very interesting.
    This is a thread, in tone, that regularly addresses the absurdity of the trigger warning, hypersensitive social justice warrior cultures often fostered on post-secondary education campuses. I am not out of line posting this article here. Nor am I out of line for gently “trolling” about the story, based upon the common practices of this Web site despite the “friendly, respectful conversations” often shared here.

Had this same art project been installed on the BYU campus, there would’ve been no shortage of posters on this site posting about and reveling in the absurdity of it all, while making fun of BYU, and by association its students and fans of its sports teams in the process.

As far as the artist’s intent is concerned, I’ve read no less than three articles where it is made clear this installation was created as a sincere creative act:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ary/553082002/

The university acknowledged the closet's installation, which was approved by the school, was an attempt at humor but also a "work of art meant to provoke feeling, thought & conversation, which the artist has apparently done."
    Humour is the most powerful mechanism or means by which we can hide emotion pain.

Humour is the most powerful mechanism or means by which we can hide emotion pain.
    It’s spelled “humor” in this country, son.

I thought you said she was an artist, not a comedian, and could only produce “sincere” work. Visual artists can produce sincerely comedic works, can’t they?

--Yeats

It’s spelled “humor” in this country, son.

I thought you said she was an artist, not a comedian, and could only produce “sincere” work. Visual artists can produce sincerely comedic works, can’t they?
    You'll have to humour me on the fact my auto correct defaults to British spelling. The University of Utah considered it an attempt at humour, the artist on the other hand considers it "a work of art meant to provoke feeling, thought & conversation ..." which I'm sure the artist realizes can also be construed as potentially humorous.
    Last edited by tooblue; 04-29-2018 at 01:18 PM.

You'll have to humour me on the fact my auto correct defaults to British spelling. The University of Utah considered it an attempt at humour, the artist on the other hand considers it "a work of art meant to provoke feeling, thought & conversation ..." which I'm sure the artist realizes can also be construed as potentially humorous.
    I assume you’re quoting the artist herself. If that was her goal, she has succeeded. My point is that the crying booth was an art project, one that students like my daughter thought was funny for the reason anything is funny: it contains an element of truth. What is truly amusing (and revealing) about this little episode is that some people have tried to make an individual’s art project into an official university endorsement of “snowflake” behavior. Now, if the U of U had installed safe spaces with crayons and Play-Doh for students fearing their exams, then you might have something about which to antagonise, er, antagonize us.

--Yeats

The Other LA College Cheating Scandal — The One You Might Have Missed

Excerpt:

UCLA is at the center of a cheating scandal that federal authorities say involved former and current students impersonating dozens of Chinese nationals who needed good scores on English tests to get into college in the U.S.

The six defendants, five with ties to UCLA, allegedly used fake passports, doctored with their own photos, to pass themselves off as the Chinese nationals at testing centers in and around Los Angeles as recently as 2016.

They were paid about $400 to $1,000 each time they sat for an exam, said
    Special Assistant U.S. Attorney Kyle Ryan. [Compared to $10,000 to $75,000 allegedly charged per test in that other college cheating scandal that broke this week.]

--Yeats

Interesting... When I worked at the Program in Biomedical Sciences we got 800 applications from Chinese students each year with perfect scores on the GRE. Keep in mind you had to take those tests in English. inevitably we would interview 10 of the students and maybe half could actually speak English. Everyone knows they are cheating.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

This is our best and brightest entering the field of journalism? Ugh...….

https://dailynorthwestern.com/2019/11/10/lateststories/addressing-the-dailys-coverage-of-sessions-protests/
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.