Page 110 of 114 FirstFirst ... 1060100106107108109110111112113114 LastLast
Results 3,271 to 3,300 of 3412

Thread: I Wish I Knew How to Quit You - The BYU Sports Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Classic.

Flippin' embarrassing.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Will never understand the “as long as I say a substitute word for the one I’m thinking it’s ok!” If you’re against swearing you shouldn’t faux swear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Will never understand the “as long as I say a substitute word for the one I’m thinking it’s ok!” If you’re against swearing you shouldn’t faux swear
    It's a gosh-darn doggone shame that people do that. Freaking embarrassing, really.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    It's a gosh-darn doggone shame that people do that. Freaking embarrassing, really.
    Agreed.

I enjoy all the words available to me. As long as I’m not at work.

Agreed.

I enjoy all the words available to me. As long as I’m not at work.
    I do think there's kind of a poverty of vocabulary these days. The F-bomb, for example. It's repeatedly used by so many people as an adjective, noun, adverb, etc. English is a rich language, full of wonderful words. It's a shame (and quite unimaginative) to use the same word over and over for everything. Especially when it is widely considered a coarse and offensive word by many people.

Our overused F-word: A broken-window theory for civil language

--Yeats

I do think there's kind of a poverty of vocabulary these days. The F-bomb, for example. It's repeatedly used by so many people as an adjective, noun, adverb, etc. English is a rich language, full of wonderful words. It's a shame (and quite unimaginative) to use the same word over and over for everything. Especially when it is widely considered a coarse and offensive word by many people.

Our overused F-word: A broken-window theory for civil language
    Yet research says people who use said words are smarter.

Yet research says people who use said words are smarter.
    Smart only gets you so far in life.

--Yeats

looks sadly at our current President

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    looks sadly at our current President
    You’re confusing smart with being a flipping fetcher

As a conservative you don't have the baseline level of intelligence to even know that. How you even cobbled together a career of any kind is a 'effin mystery.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

I Wish I Knew How to Quit You - The BYU Sports Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    As a conservative you don't have the baseline level of intelligence to even know that. How you even cobbled together a career of any kind is a 'effin mystery.
    Sheer determination and dumb luck. Not to mention white privilege.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 02-24-2018 at 07:27 PM.

--Yeats

Listening to BYU’s OC this morning...I think we know what type of offense he wants to run.

He coached under Anae, Auburn and LSU. He hired Roderick and Sitake and his own RB coach.

They all coaches in similar style offenses. A single back, three WR, run heavy spread offense.

I think it will be very similar to what BYU ran under Anae.

His problem is talent. BYU has no talent. Like little to none.

Their QB’s are terrible. It’s Mangum and a whole lot of nothing.

Their RB’s aren’t very good at all. Their best might be an overweight back with fumbling issues.

Their OL is weak and slow.

Their WR’s might be slower.

BYU has to pray that Mangum comes back to his freshman year, only better, that their OL suddenly learns how to run block, and that Romney kid is the second coming of Collie/Covey.

If not...could be a long year for BYU fan.

Ha ha.

p.s. I’m shocked at how little talent they have. Usually, there is a couple top flight guys on offense and defense. They have NOTHING.

Their TE and that’s it on offense. I don’t even see solid players on their team. I think I said last year BYU would have 3-4 players that would play for Utah...I’m not sure they have anyone who would crack the two deep. Maybe that TE. Maybe.

Also some conference expansion news yesterday. The MWC has been in talks with...Gonzaga for expansion. Now, it would make sense to expand by two, if they do expand and they’d be stupid to not invite BYU. But it would be interesting to see how the MWC would stick it to BYU even with an invite.

Also some conference expansion news yesterday. The MWC has been in talks with...Gonzaga for expansion. Now, it would make sense to expand by two, if they do expand and they’d be stupid to not invite BYU. But it would be interesting to see how the MWC would stick it to BYU even with an invite.

Would they be stupid though? BYU definitely has value, but would BYU increase payouts to the schools enough to deal with them again?

Probably. But still, I’d laugh until I cried if the MWC passed on BYU.

But they don't have to expand by two. They could just add Gonzaga. It's basketball only, so number of teams doesn't matter much.

Assuming Gonzaga wants in, the MWC has the power here. In that situation, I would only invite BYU as a partner in all sports (including football).

It would actually give BYU a nice, convenient opportunity to ditch independence.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    But they don't have to expand by two. They could just add Gonzaga. It's basketball only, so number of teams doesn't matter much.

Assuming Gonzaga wants in, the MWC has the power here. In that situation, I would only invite BYU as a partner in all sports (including football).

It would actually give BYU a nice, convenient opportunity to ditch independence.
    the MWC has more leverage than BYU (b/c byu cant be left behind if Gonzaga leaves) , but ESPN has all the leverage. It has the contracts for BYU, the MWC, and the WCC. All those contracts are up in the next year or two, which is what is driving these discussions now. If ESPN wants Gonzaga and the Y in the MWC, they will be. Are they willing to continue to pay BYU independently for football? who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    the MWC has more leverage than BYU (b/c byu cant be left behind if Gonzaga leaves) , but ESPN has all the leverage. It has the contracts for BYU, the MWC, and the WCC. All those contracts are up in the next year or two, which is what is driving these discussions now. If ESPN wants Gonzaga and the Y in the MWC, they will be. Are they willing to continue to pay BYU independently for football? who knows.
    Good point.

I don’t think ESPN cares if BYU football is independent or not. They are paying BYU peanuts and can put BYU on non Sat spots.

BYU’s payout is the same in the MWC or Indy. I’d bet BYU gets the same deal as Boise if they went back, seeing how the money for BYU and Boise is essentially the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post

BYU’s payout is the same in the MWC or Indy.

While true, this statement deserves a bit of clarification. As an Independent, byu-P has to pay the visiting team a fixed fee out of the total (TV, gate, concessions) to come play. They get to keep the rest of the gate/concessions.

In a conference, home teams will keep their own gate/concessions and the permanent rotating home/away games evens out the bottom line between home/visitors. And then both teams get an even share of the TV money from the conference.

Therefore in many ways a conference would be preferable to Indy. Sure, they get the fat $$Millions from ESPN but they pay every visiting team a body bag fee out of it. By contrast, we only pay out for one-and-done OOC games.

Playing in the big road or neutral site games probably keeps them afloat (ex. They earned $2M for playing LSU in Jerryworld last year).

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    While true, this statement deserves a bit of clarification. As an Independent, byu-P has to pay the visiting team a fixed fee out of the total (TV, gate, concessions) to come play. They get to keep the rest of the gate/concessions.

In a conference, home teams will keep their own gate/concessions and the permanent rotating home/away games evens out the bottom line between home/visitors. And then both teams get an even share of the TV money from the conference.

Therefore in many ways a conference would be preferable to Indy. Sure, they get the fat $$Millions from ESPN but they pay every visiting team a body bag fee out of it. By contrast, we only pay out for one-and-done OOC games.

Playing in the big road or neutral site games probably keeps them afloat (ex. They earned $2M for playing LSU in Jerryworld last year).
    It pretty much evens out. Every H-H contract I've ever seen (non-con of course, because there aren't game contracts for conference games) contanis equal payouts going back and forth. In other words, it's ultimately the same as conference games, as far as the bottom line goes. You are right that they make more money off of neutral or uneven series (1 and done or 2 for 1 games) when they play more games on the road than at home in conjunction with that contract, but you have to keep in mind that while they get paid for those games, it also means that they are not getting a home game in return, which means they are losing media money for a potential home game, as well as ticket sales and concessions. In other words, if you have 2 neutral games in a year, then there are only 10 games left and if you want to get to 6 home games then BYU has to pay for a one and done or 2-for-1 with a crappy school, which also means that the game against a crappy school to get back up to 6 home games probably isn't getting picked up by ESPN and probably won't have great ticket sales.

P.S. Not sure where you got the $2M for the Jerry World game, but I don't think that info is public and I would be very surprised if it was that high.

By the way, that game wasn't in JerryWorld. It was moved to the Superdome after Houston was flooded.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    By the way, that game wasn't in JerryWorld. It was moved to the Superdome after Houston was flooded.
    I heard that from LSU fans, although it may have been to total payout. Still I don't care enough to entertain a FOIA.

A FOIA wouldn't get it. There is no public contract showing BYU's deal, since the game was set up by ESPN. LSU has a contract with ESPN (which is publicly available), and BYU has a contract with ESPN (which is not publicly available). LSU fans wouldn't know what BYU's cut was.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    A FOIA wouldn't get it. There is no public contract showing BYU's deal, since the game was set up by ESPN. LSU has a contract with ESPN (which is publicly available), and BYU has a contract with ESPN (which is not publicly available). LSU fans wouldn't know what BYU's cut was.
    Fresno got $1.4M to play at Alabama last year. Bigger stadium, bigger draw, tougher opponent with several options. I could see a $2M guarantee for BYU for the LSU game last year. I'd be surprised if BYU got less than what Fresno got to play Alabama.

I'm not sure I 100% agree with this. Everyone knows BYU is pining for the B12, so would you take them knowing they'd jump at the first chance?

I'm not sure I 100% agree with this. Everyone knows BYU is pining for the B12, so would you take them knowing they'd jump at the first chance?
    Every team in the MWC would jump at the an offer from Big12.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Every team in the MWC would jump at the an offer from Big12.
    True, but none of them are dumb enough to go it alone until that someday when their prince will come...

BYU will never get offered by the Big 12. Never. I’ve been saying this forever. I’m right so far.

Why would anyone take BYU? They bring some value now, but they are a dying brand. Mormonism is falling big time, loyalty to the Church's school is at an all time low, their fanbase is 64 and older, and their on field product is mediocre. For basketball, they are the third best product in the WCC. That isn't anything impressive.

Plus, they are a headache on top of all of that. If the MWC could add Gonzaga and St. Mary's, I'm not sure where BYU would fit. They would need another football school to make it work. Unless they left football out of the MWC...but if they did that, what would the point of adding BYU basketball be?

And who would you add in with BYU? New Mexico St? UTEP? Cal Poly? Eastern Washington? I dunno, I don't see it. I don't see the great value long term that BYU brings. And their short term value is some extra tickets sold and that's about it.

Recruiting wise, BYU isn't doing too hot as well. According to 247, Boise St was 56, then USF, Toledo, FIU, Tulane, UCF, Houston, Marshall, Western Michigan, Louisiana Tech, then BYU came in at #77. Again, where is the long term optimism?

BYU might be digging a hole they can't climb out of. If they have another 5-6 win season and miss another bowl or two, then continue to recruit in the 70's, even joining a conference might not do them much good. They will have become so thoroughly mediocre that an 8 win MWC season would qualify for a good season.

lulz.

The MWC has 11 teams right now (Hawaii doesn't play basketball). Gonzaga makes 12.