Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Trojans, the Ducks, the Bruins, and all those guys: The PAC-12 rivals thread

Hybrid View

Has there ever been a bigger coaching hire than the one the Huskies just pulled off?
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Has there ever been a bigger coaching hire than the one the Huskies just pulled off?
    If I were a Huskies fan I'd be thrilled. The PAC-12 continues to upgrade across the board. It's good for Utah. We have to stretch.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Time will tell. Other Boise coaches that parlayed their success to jobs at current PAC 12 schools didn't turn out so well (Koetter at ASU, Hawkins at Colorado).

I think he will do well, but I'm not sure he can lead them to national prominence. But it's all a guess at this point.

NIU lost last night.

Fitting that in the last year of the BCS, after Utah and TCU are gone and Petersen has left, there is no BCS buster.

This means Oregon has a shot at a BCS bowl. They say if Texas beats Baylor, the Sugar could pick Oregon to play Auburn.

It also means that the Pac-12 will probably get all 9 teams to a bowl game, instead of Oregon State missing out as was previously predicted.

Don James.

I will say that I am happy for the Huskies and look forward to watching CP in this league. I like Sark a lot, but I think UW got the better end of the transaction...
    Last edited by NorthwestUteFan; 12-07-2013 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Don James.

I will say that I am happy for the Huskies and look forward to watching CP in this league. I like Sark a lot, but I think UW got the better end of the transaction...
    I'm talking about the bigness of the hire, not actual coaching success.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

I'm talking about the bigness of the hire, not actual coaching success.
    In that case how about one of Don James' former players. Nick Saban played Defensive Back at Kent State under Don James.

Saban was OK at Michigan State, then absolutely tore it up at LSU, then bombed in the NFL for a few years. His success at Bama is impressive, but he was a BCS Championship winner at rival LSU a few years before.

So Nick Saban was definitely a higher profile hire than CP. That said, the list of coaching hires that are higher profile than CP to UW is pretty short.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    In that case how about one of Don James' former players. Nick Saban played Defensive Back at Kent State under Don James.

Saban was OK at Michigan State, then absolutely tore it up at LSU, then bombed in the NFL for a few years. His success at Bama is impressive, but he was a BCS Championship winner at rival LSU a few years before.

So Nick Saban was definitely a higher profile hire than CP. That said, the list of coaching hires that are higher profile than CP to UW is pretty short.

UM to OSU? Sumlin to A&M? Brett Beilema to Arkansas? Bobby Petrino to Arkansas? Whoever gets hired at Texas next?

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    UM to OSU? Sumlin to A&M? Brett Beilema to Arkansas? Bobby Petrino to Arkansas? Whoever gets hired at Texas next?
    Yes. That is most of the short list.

Also add Steve Spurrier to South Carolina.

Back to rivalry talk- what PAC12 message boards do you like? I've struggled to find any that I like checking out. Cal has an absolutely putrid one, and I don't like the generic Rivals type boards. CU has one with a lot of soul and fan identity, but those guys are so bad that they don't have much to talk about.
    Last edited by Homer Crimson; 12-18-2013 at 08:45 AM.

Interesting piece in the L.A. Times. Bill Paschke is a fine sportswriter and Jim Mora is a fine coach.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/l...29-column.html

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I love this.

Cal marks the location of the Hayward fault line that runs through the stadium.

http://scout.com/college/california/...sset-105674353

They also give visitors a helpful tip: DO NOT FALL INTO THE FAULT LINE

HaywardFaultCal.jpg

Boise had Wazzu 31-17 with the ball and 6 minutes to go. Ended up losing in OT. Was there a pick 6 involved, you ask? Yes, yes there was.

This thread is brilliant.

Arizona State schedules H-H with Mississippi State, beginning in 2024, with ASU hosting first.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...d-home-series/

I wonder what Jack Sears is thinking now.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    I wonder what Jack Sears is thinking now.
    "Where can i transfer to, and when do I have to leave by to keep my eligibility"

Who here expects Washington to look a lot better this week? I do. Petersen is a good coach. He isn't used to playing good teams every week. I'd put money down, that he spent the last month prepping for Illinois 1/3rd of the time and Stanford for 2/3rd of the time. It wouldn't even surprise me if he didn't even look at the last two teams more than a passing glance. I think Washington comes out and looks great this week, wins next week, and gives Stanford all they can handle.

I said before the year began, that it wouldn't shock me to see Stanford sitting at 2-2 after the Washington game. That game will be for second place in the North.

OK, maybe not for second place. Washington does luck out in that they don't play us, so maybe it's not for second place.

USC in trouble against BC, down by 10 in the third.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Rosen Living A Dream

http://ucla.scout.com/story/1470971-...living-a-dream

“The reason I love UCLA so much is because I want to win for a school that isn’t used to winning,” said Rosen.
    Ouch.

So who do we want to win this week in the PAC-12 (I would include other games in the Top 25 but I don't think it matters much, if we win we move up if we lose then we don't.)

Friday, October 24 2014

#6 Oregon @ California*
    10:00 PM ET FOX SPORTS 1- Neutral site game at Levi Stadium. My guess is Oregon rolls. I want to see Oregon do well since it makes the Pac-12 look better. If anyone is going to upset Oregon it better be Utah
    Saturday, October 25 2014

#25 UCLA @ Colorad 2:00 PM ET P12N - I would love to see Colorado beat UCLA because it would help us in the South standings. Some will say that it makes our win against UCLA look worse, but if we beat USC that won't matter. Not to mention we will have plenty of times to prove ourselves with our upcoming schedule.

Oregon State @ Stanford 3:30 ET ESPN2 - This is a toss-up I'm going to go with Oregon State here.

#15 Arizona @ WSU 6:00 ET P12N - Easy one here, need Arizona to lose to improve our South standings and a WSU win would help justify us losing to WSU a bit...kinda?

#14 ASU @ Wasington
    10:45 ET ESPN - Would like to see Washington beat ASU. Helps with our pac 12 south standings. Also I hate the Desert Zoobs. Would be nice for them to be recovering from a loss when we play them next week. Strangely I picked them in the survivor pool though.
    "This isn't a gentlemen's sport. This isn't tennis. This isn't an old-fashioned duel. This is football, it's a physical game." - Tony Bergstrom

Quote Originally Posted by SigmaUte View Post
    So who do we want to win this week in the PAC-12 (I would include other games in the Top 25 but I don't think it matters much, if we win we move up if we lose then we don't.)

#25 UCLA @ Colorad
    2:00 PM ET P12N - I would love to see Colorado beat UCLA because it would help us in the South standings. Some will say that it makes our win against UCLA look worse, but if we beat USC that won't matter. Not to mention we will have plenty of times to prove ourselves with our upcoming schedule.
    I like your reasoning, but I also don't mind at all if CU is 0-8 when we see them in Boulder.

Oregon State @ Stanford 3:30 ET ESPN2 - This is a toss-up I'm going to go with Oregon State here.
    Are you serious? This is not a hard choice. We lose 1-2 guys every year to Stanford. We want them to return to the bottom of the conference where they belong.

Quote Originally Posted by SigmaUte View Post

Friday, October 24 2014

#6 Oregon @ California*
    10:00 PM ET FOX SPORTS 1- Neutral site game at Levi Stadium. My guess is Oregon rolls. I want to see Oregon do well since it makes the Pac-12 look better. If anyone is going to upset Oregon it better be Utah
    Saturday, October 25 2014

#25 UCLA @ Colorad 2:00 PM ET P12N - I would love to see Colorado beat UCLA because it would help us in the South standings. Some will say that it makes our win against UCLA look worse, but if we beat USC that won't matter. Not to mention we will have plenty of times to prove ourselves with our upcoming schedule.

#15 Arizona @ WSU 6:00 ET P12N - Easy one here, need Arizona to lose to improve our South standings and a WSU win would help justify us losing to WSU a bit...kinda?

#14 ASU @ Wasington
    10:45 ET ESPN - Would like to see Washington beat ASU. Helps with our pac 12 south standings. Also I hate the Desert Zoobs. Would be nice for them to be recovering from a loss when we play them next week. Strangely I picked them in the survivor pool though.
    All of this is immaterial to Utah if we don't win Saturday. USC becomes a prohibitive favorite to win the South if it wins Saturday (With easily the league's toughest schedule remaining, I would also say we're a solid favorite to finish fifth; if we're lucky, tied for fourth or even third outright). Yes, it will still be tied in the loss column with Arizona, but it owns the head-to-head there. (EDIT: I keep forgetting that ASU didn't lose to USC, and only has one league loss as a result. It's remaining league slate, however, is considerably tougher than USC's.) USC also doesn't play Oregon and will have gone 4-1 vs. South Division foes. As things stand, only Utah is undefeated vs. the South right now, but only at 1-0, and if it loses Saturday, can finish no better than 4-1 in the division, where USC would again have the tiebreaker.

Show me otherwise, but the only way Utah can win the South with a loss Saturday would be for USC to lose out to get to 5-4, with Utah finishing 6-3 or 7-2. With a closing league slate of UCLA, Cal and Wazzu, that's not happening.
    Last edited by SoCalPat; 10-23-2014 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by @ESPN_Pac12blog
    Mike Leach wants a 64-team playoff. http://es.pn/1U7ohiI
    Of course he does. How else does Wazzu get in?

Ok. I gotta admit to some coveting with this shot...

http://www.goducks.com/ViewArticle.d...CLID=210249890

That's pretty sweet looking.

Per Bruce Feldman, today is the day that we find out if Vernon Adams will play at Oregon.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

SEC schools hoping to cash in on Utah's crushing defeat of Oregon by stealing their recruits.

http://www.oregonlive.com/recruiting...l#incart_2box_

Myles Jack withdraws from school at UCLA and has declared for the NFL draft next year.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 10-06-2015 at 02:11 PM.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.