Thread: The youth sports thread

Hybrid View

In high school our football coach wanted all football players to be in a sport all year round. So I went out for wrestling and quickly decided it wasn't for me. Still, based on that experience I've always respected wrestlers, even if I was ticked at my football coach.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    In high school our football coach wanted all football players to be in a sport all year round. So I went out for wrestling and quickly decided it wasn't for me. Still, based on that experience I've always respected wrestlers, even if I was ticked at my football coach.
    I've always wondered. Were the leather helmets a lot more comfortable than the modern ones?

I almost strangled my 7-year-old second baseman yesterday after about the 6th ground ball rolled right past him without him moving. After telling him for about the 20th time to stop playing in and eating the dirt, he told me that he wasn't eating dirt, he was eating grass and rocks. Oh, and he wasn't eating dirt he was dancing around and looking through his legs at his mother, who was laughing at him and encouraging him to do it. You know what they say about the apple and the tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    I almost strangled my 7-year-old second baseman yesterday after about the 6th ground ball rolled right past him without him moving. After telling him for about the 20th time to stop playing in and eating the dirt, he told me that he wasn't eating dirt, he was eating grass and rocks. Oh, and he wasn't eating dirt he was dancing around and looking through his legs at his mother, who was laughing at him and encouraging him to do it. You know what they say about the apple and the tree.
    There is a kid on my soccer team who likes to drop his pants regularly. Along with that and similar dirt eating and leg peering habits he drives me nuts.

Driving to our soccer game on Saturday my 5yo daughter says to me, "Dad, you have to talk to his father about that (dropping his pants), it isn't right." I agree and tell her I will talk to her father and she says, "There is also another boy in my class who likes to pull down his pants, and to have two people in my life like that... Well that is just too much to ask."

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    2 reasons my kids gravitated to competitive/elite/travel teams at an early age: the reason you noted, and coaching is necessarily done at the lowest common denominator, they got bored really fast. For some kids its like being a smart kid in class waiting for the others to catch up -- boredom strikes and the kid checks out.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    2 reasons my kids gravitated to competitive/elite/travel teams at an early age: the reason you noted, and coaching is necessarily done at the lowest common denominator, they got bored really fast. For some kids its like being a smart kid in class waiting for the others to catch up -- boredom strikes and the kid checks out.
    Yep. At a certain level and age, coaching youth sport is simply baby sitting. I don't like kids enough, besides my own, to baby sit them. I have to have some sort of ability to teach instead of baby sit or I'm not doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
    I've always wondered. Were the leather helmets a lot more comfortable than the modern ones?
    I don't remember.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell