Page 6 of 87 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Presidential Election

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    JEB spent nearly 100 times as much as Trump on TV ads, and yet he is still getting crushed. How long until people realize that Trump is a moron, incapable of any reasonable depth of thought?
    That's how demagoguery works, sadly enough.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

The craziness of Trump is I bet the vast majority of republicans would never vote for him. If you could get it down to someone like Trump and Rubio, Rubio would win in a landslide.

I'd be perplexed by this if I thought any of the candidates could beat Clinton, but they can't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    That's how demagoguery works, sadly enough.
    He is just an utterly vile human being. I can't see the attraction. I have my theories, and they all paint a depressing portrait of modern American society.

Part of me hopes a sudden flood of rationality will overtake the Republicans and a better candidate will rise to the top. But another part of me wants to see a Trump-Hillary debate. That would be the epic smackdown for the ages, and Hill-dawg will win in an historic landslide...and I don't even like Hillary.

Saw Vince Houriuchi (Brother of Randy) tweet tonight that he now knows what his father went through before he was put in an internment camp in 1942 and he's glad he isn't around to see it.

It's disgusting that even had to be tweeted.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I'm not certain, and I'm not going to think about it any more, but I suspect that if you want to watch any kind of debate, you may be part of the problem.

Why would you fear an open discussion of the issues facing our society by those people we are choosing to run the nation? Would you prefer they simply made all macro policy decisions behind closed doors, without your knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I don't think that's what debates are.
    That is a compelling counterargument. Thank you.

Food for thought regarding Mr. Trump, who is a clown and a demogogue and has no business being POTUS (although I must say that I think the latter about Mr. Obama too).

Progressive and Racist. Woodrow Wilson Wasn't Alone.

http://www.bloombergview.com/article...ressive-racist

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

The LDS church has slapped Mr. Trump down. This will give pause to some of his Mormon admirers:

http://fox13now.com/2015/12/08/lds-c...ts-on-muslims/

--Yeats

From Governer Gary Herbert:

In 1879 under the direction of President Rutherford B. Hayes, the U.S. Secretary of State William Evarts requested that foreign governments no longer allow Mormons to emigrate to the United States in order to prevent the "large numbers of immigrants [who] come to our shores every year from the various countries of Europe for the avowed purpose of joining the Mormon community at Salt Lake." Utah exists today because foreign countries refused to grant the wishes of a misguided president and his secretary of state.

I am the governor of a state that was settled by religious exiles who withstood persecution after persecution, including an extermination order from another state's governor. In Utah, the First Amendment still matters. That will not change so long as I remain governor.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Last edited by LA Ute; 12-09-2015 at 12:09 PM.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    From Governer Gary Herbert:

In 1879 under the direction of President Rutherford B. Hayes, the U.S. Secretary of State William Evarts requested that foreign governments no longer allow Mormons to emigrate to the United States in order to prevent the "large numbers of immigrants [who] come to our shores every year from the various countries of Europe for the avowed purpose of joining the Mormon community at Salt Lake." Utah exists today because foreign countries refused to grant the wishes of a misguided president and his secretary of state.

I am the governor of a state that was settled by religious exiles who withstood persecution after persecution, including an extermination order from another state's governor. In Utah, the First Amendment still matters. That will not change so long as I remain governor.
    Dear Leader was wrong when he said this country doesn't have a religious test.
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

I like Cooke. He's a guy who gets it.
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

Quote Originally Posted by GarthUte View Post
    Dear Leader was wrong when he said this country doesn't have a religious test.
    That is the truth. If a candidate states that he has no religion or is agnostic or atheist, he will only have a slightly better chance of getting elected than would a convicted rapist.

A Muslim would fare slightly better.

For the fun of it over lunch today, I decided to play around with some old Japanese Internment Camp photos and turning them into Trump campaign photos. (Too much caffeine, maybe.) Here are a few.

They were super rough jobs, so not need to critique the quality of the photoshopping. I may try and clean them up more to help blend them into the original better.

America1.jpg
    America4.jpg
    America6.jpg

There was a news story last night comparing Donald Trump to the French über right-wing fascist party leader Marine Le Pen. She makes many similar statements, and DJT's crazier statements seem to track hers nearly perfectly. His latest 'ban ALL Muslims from entering the country' statements followed her similar statements by only a few days.

This is a dangerous precedent. Le Pen now holds a strong position in the French government due to her party's recent electoral wins (I admit I know nothing of France's government structure). She may be able to push through some very dangerous legislation.

But I still believe (and hold out hope) that DJT can't win a General election in the US and wont rise higher than about 25%-30% of Republican Primary voters, which has to be a significantly lower percentage of the general population. I also have to believe the Republican party might distance themselves from him. But they are in a tough spot, where they will implode as a party if he gains the nomination, but will get their vote split if he runs as an Independent and guarantee a President Hill-Dawg.

If DJT wins the nomination, will the middle-right Republicans who comprise the Base hold their nose and vote for Trump, hold their nose and vote for Hillary, or stay home? Any of the three options could lead to the demise of the Party.

That said, I would almost prefer Trump over Ted Cruz.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    [COLOR=#333333]For the fun of it over lunch today, I decided to play around with some old Japanese Internment Camp photos and turning them into Trump campaign photos.
    Those are amazing. Nice work!

Dissensus, the Spirit of Our Age

"Donald Trump could arise only in an atmosphere that is itself soaked in political derision."

http://www.wsj.com/articles/dissensu...age-1449533281

--Yeats

Then there was the day that Trump was attacked by an eagle. Way to go, America!

Dissensus, the Spirit of Our Age

"Donald Trump could arise only in an atmosphere that is itself soaked in political derision."

http://www.wsj.com/articles/dissensu...age-1449533281

Is Trump the greatest demagogue since Huey Long? Anybody else close? George Wallace?

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Is Trump the greatest demagogue since Huey Long? Anybody else close? George Wallace?
    I don't think he's in their league. They at least got elected to something.

--Yeats

Trump's campaign HAS to be a practical joke, or at minimum it is a Poe. Maybe he is pranking his advisors and spokespeople by forcing them to answer questions with reluctantly straight faces.

Hopefully he will be more than just a demagogue. He could be an effective (though inadvertent) iconoclast. Perhaps his vocal support for very dangerous and historically damaging ideas will help people see how crazy and un-American those ideas truly are.

So if you haven't seen the clip below its pretty funny.

The Daily Show went after Trump for being a racist, and for his statements that he would date his daughter if he wasn't married.

Guess which of the two statements he is upset about?

http://on.cc.com/1lwFZjZ

--Yeats

It should be noted that John Turner also fairly recently wrote one of the definitive Brigham Young biographies, "Brigham Young: Pioneer Prophet" which is a great read.

I love this piece:

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...n-conservatism

--Yeats

Frank Cagle: Trump’s foes must appeal to supporters

What I don't understand about the Republican establishment these days is that they fail to recognize that Trump uses outrageous statements to garner attention, but he taps into issues of real concern to the American people. But if you want to stop Trump, don't attack him; appeal to the people who support him. Offer sensible solutions to problems he has identified, rather than his half-baked, unrealistic rhetoric.
    For example, when the Syrian refugee controversy erupted Jeb Bush and Ted Cruz suggested that maybe we could take only Christian refugees from the Middle East. They were excoriated for the idea. President Barack Obama stood in the Oval Office and said America could not have a religious test for admission and it was un-American. He should know better.

The 1965 immigration reform act, which still governs, has specific criteria for the admission of refugees: people fleeing religious persecution. Who is facing more religious persecution than the Christians in Syria and other areas controlled by ISIS? Beheading, buried alive, machine gunned. Any country has the right to decide who can be admitted and who cannot. Until 1965 Third World immigration was prohibited. There are Christian relief agencies in the Middle East that could help vet refugees facing persecution and help them resettle here.

Did Bush double down, make the case and provide an alternative to Trump's bellicosity? No, he just attacked Trump's idea to stop Muslim immigration temporarily, instead of making the issue his own. Trump's plan? How would that work? Offer anybody getting on the plane a ham sandwich and bar anybody who didn't eat it? His half-baked idea is about as practical as his plan to have Mexico pay for the border wall.

I think a Trump presidency would be a disaster. While he talks a good game, he has no practical way to carry out his promises. Like Cas, he will say anything to grab attention, get a headline and get on television. But his success should be a warning to the political establishment. The American people are fed up with political correctness, and if you do not provide sensible solutions to the issues Trump has raised, don't be surprised when he stand on the podium as the GOP nominee.
    http://www.knoxnews.com/opinion/colu....html?d=mobile

--Yeats

Trump quite simply is the worst parts of America personified. Materialistic, misogynistic, bigoted, arrogant, loud, a liar, boastful, uninformed, abrasive, confrontational, philandering, uncharitable, ruthless, fake, opportunistic, unethical and vain. Oh and apparently he wants to date his daughter.

If Europeans could concoct a caricature of the ugly American they couldn't do any better than that.

He has zero chance of being elected (although I'm starting to believe he'll get the republican nomination) but he sure is an interesting insight into ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Trump quite simply is the worst parts of America personified. Materialistic, misogynistic, bigoted, arrogant, loud, a liar, boastful, uninformed, abrasive, confrontational, philandering, uncharitable, ruthless, fake, opportunistic, unethical and vain. Oh and apparently he wants to date his daughter.
    No wonder we love him so.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post

If Europeans could concoct a caricature of the ugly American they couldn't do any better than that.

He has zero chance of being elected (although I'm starting to believe he'll get the republican nomination) but he sure is an interesting insight into ourselves.

Does anyone know a real-life Trump supporter? I'm sure you do as 40% of Republicans like him and some of you folks live in, ahem, republican leaning areas. But in the democratic bubble that is DC, I've never met one.