Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Random chat thread

http://nypost.com/2014/04/08/pair-bu...ss-to-orioles/

The young man in custody in the top photo was my student once. Nothing about this story surprises me in the least.
    "This culture doesn't sell modesty. It sells "I am more modest than you" modesty." -- Two Utes

You know that your future stepfather is going to be a colossal dork when your mother starts using, unironically, "HUZZAH!" in regular conversation. No book nor counseling session can quite steel you for seeing your mom in a wench costume every Saturday on facebook.
    "This culture doesn't sell modesty. It sells "I am more modest than you" modesty." -- Two Utes

Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    You know that your future stepfather is going to be a colossal dork when your mother starts using, unironically, "HUZZAH!" in regular conversation. No book nor counseling session can quite steel you for seeing your mom in a wench costume every Saturday on facebook.
    Man, I feel for you wuap. Your eyes must be sore from all the rolling.

Quote Originally Posted by wally View Post
    Man, I feel for you wuap. Your eyes must be sore from all the rolling.
    She used to make fun of me for going to RenFests in high school.

She used to make fun of me for going to RenFests in high school.
    She had a valid reason.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Ok, so this _really_ bugs my daughter.
    I do this about every 3 or 4 days. I wait until she is quietly in her room doing homework, or reading, etc.

1. Go and get a spatula from the kitchen.
    2. Go into her room and use the spatula to turn over some of the clothes that are lying on the floor, or on her bed.
    3. Pat the item of clothing gently with the spatula and say, "Almost done"

It never fails, she freaks out and chases me out of her room.
    Last edited by Brian; 04-11-2014 at 05:09 AM.

I had a dream last night that I was drinking alcohol again (I haven't since 1990). My wife didn't care, and I enjoyed shots with dinner, but only did three since I had to "drive in a couple of hours." I felt buzzed in my dream. It was very very weird. I've not had a drinking dream that I can ever recall.

Happy birthday to SoCalPat. I think it was 2 days ago, but we missed it here. Don't worry, SCP, is isn't so bad to be in your 30s.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Happy birthday to SoCalPat. I think it was 2 days ago, but we missed it here. Don't worry, SCP, is isn't so bad to be in your 30s.
    Fitting I see this greeting on the day my wife pushes an envelope my way (from my aunt), asking me, "You ever gonna open this?" I hadn't realized it came.

I was having a dream that I got stung in the lip by a bee causing it to hurt and swell up, but when I woke up, my lip still hurt and it was still swollen.

Then I really woke up and my lip was fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    To all the mothers who have illegitimate children conceived unintentionally: please, for the love of god, use proper birth control or abstain from sexual intercourse. You're ruining the world.

To all the mothers with children conceived intentionally within marriage: happy Mother's Day.
    I think it's pretty awful for anyone to call a child illegitimate. While I agree with you about birth control, all children are children. People who care truly about legitimacy lose credibility with me.

I think it's pretty awful for anyone to call a child illegitimate. While I agree with you about birth control, all children are children. People who care truly about legitimacy lose credibility with me.
    I hadn't seen that quote, terrible. Yes, to any women who got pregnant from rape and decided to keep the child, find your own holiday to celebrate. What a tool.

Yeah, well I think good mothers ought to be honored on Mother's Day, not those who engage in irresponsible, wreckless sex That's awful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There is irresponsible reckless sex out there so exquisite that if you had an inkling of what you are missing you would be crushed and debilitated under an intolerable weight of despair and regret.

Yeah, well I think good mothers ought to be honored on Mother's Day, not those who engage in irresponsible, reckless sex That's awful.
    Those two things are not mutually exclusive (see Les Miserables).

There is irresponsible reckless sex out there so exquisite that if you had an inkling of what you are missing you would be crushed and debilitated under an intolerable weight of despair and regret.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
    I think I saw this guy in a similar outfit on another thread on this board.

He even has official scout pants.

Have bankers surpassed lawyers as the most reviled profession?

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Nope. Not in my world

“To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Sadly, there are a lot of different types of people in the banking industry who get painted with this broad brush. I think most people only think of the major stakeholders when considering the term "evil bankers".

Sadly, there are a lot of different types of people in the banking industry who get painted with this broad brush. I think most people only think of the major stakeholders when considering the term "evil bankers".
    Live had a few customers call me worse than evil. But I am definitely not high enough up earn the scorn of the masses personally.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

i asked my wife my about this yesterday when we were driving around. she actually answered, but then quickly told me to shut up.

Q: if you were going to be executed, what method would you like?

A: I'd take guillotine. Quick, painless, and cool. You'd have a big crowd around you in the after-life asking you about it.

close second is hanging by long drop. Quick death, and I've always loved riding the Tower of Terror. Might as well go out with an adrenaline rush.

Comments:
    vein sauce: yes, it's painless, but wimpy. Don't go there.
    Don't bother to pick something like being drawn and quartered. Don't want to expose yourself as a weirdo.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    What about in an arena vs gladiators or monsters? The death is potentially pretty painful, but if I take out 100 gladiators before dying, I will be remembered forever.
    Is this an option?

runningman1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    i asked my wife my about this yesterday when we were driving around. she actually answered, but then quickly told me to shut up.

Q: if you were going to be executed, what method would you like?

A: I'd take guillotine. Quick, painless, and cool. You'd have a big crowd around you in the after-life asking you about it.

close second is hanging by long drop. Quick death, and I've always loved riding the Tower of Terror. Might as well go out with an adrenaline rush.

Comments:
    vein sauce: yes, it's painless, but wimpy. Don't go there.
    Don't bother to pick something like being drawn and quartered. Don't want to expose yourself as a weirdo.
    Firing squad, with a lit cigarette in my mouth. Because honestly, who cares about lung cancer at that point?

Drowning in a vat of milk chocolate.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I spent last week in St George, riding my bike in the morning when it was relatively cool. Jacob Hamblin put his house where he did for a reason... it was a good 3-4 degrees cooler than the rest of the town, being down in the valley and near a river. Remember it always pays to be the man.

I bought a small bag of M&M's today. When I emptied them on my desk, there were only 3 brown M&M's in the whole bag. There has to be some pretty long odds on that, usually brown is the most represented color. I noticed because I usually eat brown first because the are the least cheerful color, and I eat M&M's to be happy.

Also, typing M&M's on an iPhone keybord is pretty annoying.

"Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having."

C.S. Lewis

--Yeats

Meet Peter Freuchen

Warning: Clicking on that link may cause spontaneous hair growth on your chest or make you pregnant. Most likely both.

Meet Peter Freuchen

Warning: Clicking on that link may cause spontaneous hair growth on your chest or make you pregnant. Most likely both.
    That is definitely one impressive dude. I will check for hair growth when I get home.