Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
A little off topic, but I was in Old Town San Diego a few weeks back and while waiting for my dinner appointment I wandered into the Mormon Battalion historic site. I was greeted by a lovely sister missionary from South Carolina and led into a small room with one other family (my guess, non-mormon) for the start of the "tour."

To my horror, the tour consisted of talking picture frames (ala the Haunted House at Disneyland), the sister missionary engaged in some terribly scripted acting with the talking picture ghosts, and a movie about the Battalion (during which the sister missionary began dancing and playing the spoons during the climactic dance scene). Applejack left at this point. It was a bizarre mixture of disneyland, the Legacy movie, and church. Have other church historical sites taken on this bizarre tone as well?
I've never seen that at any other historical site. That one may be exceptional because there's a guy whose brother is a member of the Q12, lives in SoCal, and is very, very, very into the Battalion. He has made his mission to make sure they are honored appropriately and he has somehow acquired responsibility for that effort. He's gotten away with making several over-the-top memorials happen. I sense his fingerprints on this one.