Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A different breed of Husky: Washington at Utah, 2018

A different breed of Husky: Washington at Utah, 2018

If this Seattle Times writer is right, there may be hope for the Utes:

Don’t let the score fool you: UW Huskies have plenty of work to do

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/...of-work-to-do/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by LA Ute; 09-10-2018 at 10:12 AM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

A different breed indeed. At least this week's Huskies know how to spell.

Huskie.jpg

Frankly, I think NIU has a fantastic team. In the end, they gave us some things to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Frankly, I think NIU has a fantastic team. In the end, they gave us some things to think about.
    I'll watch NIU the rest of this season. If they do really well then our very average performance against them will look a lot better.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I'll watch NIU the rest of this season. If they do really well then our very average performance against them will look a lot better.
    Their game in Provo will be telling.

Just rewatched the first 20 minutes of the game which I missed because I sometimes have to work. I really watch differently when the outcome is not in doubt. The offensive issues have been discussed but I think there are some things that need tightenening up on D as well.

- Jaylon Johnson: Northern Illinois had a game plan to exploit JJ. Maybe they saw something in the game film about JJ or they were just scared of Blackmon, but they made a conscious effort to consistently attack Jaylon's side. And it worked too. He got beat bad in coverage and his man was wide open for what would have been a 50+ yard TD. Fortunately for us the ball was overthrown. But, that play and others made me question JJ's coverage skills. I know that he is a true sophmore, but those kind of mistakes will kill us against any number of QBs. On the positive side, he was great against the run and snuffed out a couple of screen passes.
    - Cody Barton: He has really grown into the position and is a key component of our defense. But too often he got caught with his eyes in the backfield on the read option. Too often he's rushing in to make a play on the RB before the QB has given up the rock. For teams that really run the read option well, this will be exploited.

- The D-Line: I liked what I saw from the defensive line. They got gashed some at the start and then they pushed back. They have a good amount of nastiness to them. Tafua has been a really nice pickup so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Just rewatched the first 20 minutes of the game which I missed because I sometimes have to work. I really watch differently when the outcome is not in doubt. The offensive issues have been discussed but I think there are some things that need tightenening up on D as well.

- Jaylon Johnson: Northern Illinois had a game plan to exploit JJ. Maybe they saw something in the game film about JJ or they were just scared of Blackmon, but they made a conscious effort to consistently attack Jaylon's side. And it worked too. He got beat bad in coverage and his man was wide open for what would have been a 50+ yard TD. Fortunately for us the ball was overthrown. But, that play and others made me question JJ's coverage skills. I know that he is a true sophmore, but those kind of mistakes will kill us against any number of QBs. On the positive side, he was great against the run and snuffed out a couple of screen passes.
    - Cody Barton: He has really grown into the position and is a key component of our defense. But too often he got caught with his eyes in the backfield on the read option. Too often he's rushing in to make a play on the RB before the QB has given up the rock. For teams that really run the read option well, this will be exploited.

- The D-Line: I liked what I saw from the defensive line. They got gashed some at the start and then they pushed back. They have a good amount of nastiness to them. Tafua has been a really nice pickup so far.
    Good points. A thing to consider is despite the competition, nobody has driven the field to score a TD on our defense yet, and the sole TD our opponents have had was off a TO. I think our D is pretty stout. I said to my brother, "Our defense will keep us in games, our offense will lose them for us." If we don't put it together I won't be surprised to see us in a lot of close losses this year.

yeah, agree that the D has been the star in this lone-star season thusfar. Here's to hoping that the offense finds its was before Saturday. That is not unprecedented; Kyle's teams typically gel in week 3 or 4. But they better gel quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Their game in Provo will be telling.
    We'll need to revisit this, but I'm predicting an O-U in that game of 45 or less, which is something you don't see a lot of in CFB.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack;114656- [B
    Jaylon Johnson[/B]: Northern Illinois had a game plan to exploit JJ. Maybe they saw something in the game film about JJ or they were just scared of Blackmon, but they made a conscious effort to consistently attack Jaylon's side. And it worked too. He got beat bad in coverage and his man was wide open for what would have been a 50+ yard TD. Fortunately for us the ball was overthrown. But, that play and others made me question JJ's coverage skills. I know that he is a true sophmore, but those kind of mistakes will kill us against any number of QBs. On the positive side, he was great against the run and snuffed out a couple of screen passes.
    On the replay, it seemed to me like JJ was expecting help over the top. I think Ballard got sucked too far to the left by the QB's eyes. You can see Ballard tapping his chest as he came over like he knew he made a mistake.

But, that being said, I agree that they did seem to be trying to pick on JJ a lot.

It is cool that our two most standout players for the first two games are Utah County HS quarterbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    It is cool that our two most standout players for the first two games are Utah County HS quarterbacks.
    The many advantages of Pac 12 recruiting.

I'm trying to figure out whether this game will be like the past couple USC home games (gutsy Utah wins), Stanford last year(hard fought loss) or TCU in 2010 (blowout loss). I guess I am expecting a loss and hoping I will be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I'm trying to figure out whether this game will be like the past couple USC home games (gutsy Utah wins), Stanford last year(hard fought loss) or TCU in 2010 (blowout loss). I guess I am expecting a loss and hoping I will be wrong.
    or: UW last year (hard fought loss with a head-scratching coaching decision at the end).

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    or: UW last year (hard fought loss with a head-scratching coaching decision at the end).
    Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Not exactly an exciting array of likely possibilities. Nevertheless, I will be there, in blackout gear, cheering loudly for the Utes.

--Yeats

C'mon you ninnies! Everyone here is acting like it's doom and gloom time. Yes, we haven't played well (the offense has been putrid); yes, we are playing a top ten team that needs to prove itself each week in order to make the college football playoffs; yes, we haven't had great success against Washington.

But this game is ready made for Kyle. Consider:

1. His team has played like crap the first few weeks against much lesser opponents. Remember when we got blanked (BLANKED!) by UNLV 27-0? I'll bet you do. But do remember that the week after we absolutely curb stomped #11 UCLA? Kyle's teams get up for games when you least expect it.
    2. He relishes the role of the underdog. Alabama in the Sug, Oregon in 2015, every time we have ever played Stanford. He will have the team ready to go.
    3. I'm sure he has had some heart-to-heart discussions with some position groups this week (O-line, WRs). They will play better this week.

In summary, this week is eerily similar to so many BYU weeks in the past; everyone (including our fans) concedes that we have no chance, and we summarily destroy the Cougars come Saturday.

And you know who agrees with me? Vegas. They are placing the line between the #10 team in the nation and the unoffensive Utes at 6.5. UW is in for a dogfight on Saturday. I like my dog.

C'mon you ninnies! Everyone here is acting like it's doom and gloom time.
    Not everyone! At least two of us have picked Utah to win.

C'mon you ninnies! Everyone here is acting like it's doom and gloom time. Yes, we haven't played well (the offense has been putrid); yes, we are playing a top ten team that needs to prove itself each week in order to make the college football playoffs; yes, we haven't had great success against Washington.

1. His team has played like crap the first few weeks against much lesser opponents. Remember when we got blanked (BLANKED!) by UNLV 27-0? I'll bet you do. But do remember that the week after we absolutely curb stomped #11 UCLA? Kyle's teams get up for games when you least expect it.
    2. He relishes the role of the underdog. Alabama in the Sug, Oregon in 2015, every time we have ever played Stanford. He will have the team ready to go.
    3. I'm sure he has had some heart-to-heart discussions with some position groups this week (O-line, WRs). They will play better this week.

In summary, this week is eerily similar to so many BYU weeks in the past; everyone (including our fans) concedes that we have no chance, and we summarily destroy the Cougars come Saturday.

And you know who agrees with me? Vegas. They are placing the line between the #10 team in the nation and the unoffensive Utes at 6.5. UW is in for a dogfight on Saturday. I like my dog.
    We certainly have a chance, and I won't be surprised if the Utes win. I'll be over the moon. I am just trying not to be in a position to trigger my Ute football fan PTSD.

--Yeats

The most positive thing about everything you mention is that I felt the same those weeks as I do now.

Relish the last time we beat the Huskies. And the only time we've beat them.

https://pac-12.com/videos/highlights...ashington-team

I love me some Travis Wilson read option highlights.

Relish the last time we beat the Huskies. And the only time we've beat them.

https://pac-12.com/videos/highlights...ashington-team

I love me some Travis Wilson read option highlights.
    It's not just UW - we've also had issues with Chris Peterson.

I watched the NIU game yesterday while recovering from a very minor medical procedure. I was unable to watch it previously and was only able to listen to the late 3rd and 4th quarter on radio. Anyway, I was less troubled after watching the game than I was from reading the reactions here and elsewhere. All of the issues raised by fans were evident, but they all look correctible to me.

A couple things I hope to see Saturday. A more confident Huntley. I think he is trying very hard to do what the coaches are asking him to do: stay in the pocket longer, run less, take fewer hits, but in doing so he is thinking too much and not doing things as they come to him naturally. Fewer drops. These are absolute drive killers. They also kill the morale of the OL and the QB. More Zach Moss. Better special teams. I hope we play our best game, and if we do so and lose, so be it.

We break out on offense this week and drop 30-plus. That should be enough to win.

388th Fighter Wing doing an F-35A flyover during pregame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, I think UW was ready for the screen to Covey.

So many opportunities...

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    So many opportunities...
    Nobody making plays, too many people making mistakes. 7 points won’t win us many games.

--Yeats

Turnovers and drops killed us today. Even the fumble after the interception by Tonga, while not a turnover, prevented a touchdown.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 09-15-2018 at 11:10 PM.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Well, we said we’d know more after the Washington game. So what do we know now?

--Yeats

targeting-targeting-fumble-fumble-fumble-miss-drop-holding-game over

Each one a critical mistake/call. It's a shame. UW was ripe for the taking tonight.

targeting - gave them life when they were pinned back
    targeting - took away an interception
    lost fumbles - both on 1st down conversions
    fumble/miss/drop - cost us a TD
    holding - turned a first and goal into a game over