Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official NBA Thread

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Bogut about to tip off.

Is Bogut the greatest Australian basketball player of all time?

If so, the greatest Australian and the greatest Austrian both played for Utah.
    Kyrie Irving was born in Melbourne, has an Australian mother (who is deceased) and carries dual citizenship. But he moved to the U.S. when he was 2.

Bogut was also born in Melbourne, but his parents are both Croatian immigrants.

Both of Longley's parents are Australian.

It's a hair-splitting argument.

What a series this is turning out to be. I was pulling for Bogut and the Warriors at first, but now that Kerr has benched Bogues, I'm pulling for Cleveland as punishment. I'm also tired of people pretending that Kerr invented small ball.
    He's hurt
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

What a series this is turning out to be. I was pulling for Bogut and the Warriors at first, but now that Kerr has benched Bogues, I'm pulling for Cleveland as punishment. I'm also tired of people pretending that Kerr invented small ball.
    This is how I have been. Though I have been an outspoken critic of LeBron, what he is doing right now is simply incredible. Ive seen most finals since 1994, and can't recall a performance that matches this year's LeBron. Hakeem in 94, MJ and Duncan in pick your favorite year, Dwayne Wade from the free throw line in 06, Shaq in the early 2000s were all incredible but none to me have been as good as 2015 LeBron. Heck, Id even put him above Dick Bavetta in 98.

I have spent a fair amount of time in the last few days screaming at the basketball gods for not allowing us to see a series where both teams are healthy. If Love and Irving were healthy, this series would be even better. As it is, I think the Warriors end it tomorrow night. Cleveland just looks done. But Id love to be wrong.

Interesting discussion last night on ESPN radio. Assuming the Warriors win, does LeBron deserve consideration as MVP? Hes putting up a line of 37/12/9 while adding 1.2 steals and has been hands down the best player in this series, and as I said above, putting up one of the elite performances in NBA finals history. To be fair, he also has yet to shoot 50% in any game in this series.
    Last edited by UtahsMrSports; 06-15-2015 at 07:47 AM.

I would vote for Lebron as MVP so far. What he is doing is superhuman. Plus, until last night Curry and Thompson had more downs than ups. Iguidola is their MVP so far.

But I suspect Lebron's post game comments last night will cost him a lot of votes if the Warriers win.

So is Bogut the first Ute to win an NBA championship in the modern era? I think Arnie Ferrin might have been on a championship team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

No. Doleac has one with Miami Heat.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    So is Bogut the first Ute to win an NBA championship in the modern era? I think Arnie Ferrin might have been on a championship team.

Last edited by justaute; 06-17-2015 at 12:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    No. Doleac has one with Orlando Magic.
    He asked about the first to WIN one in the modern era.

We all have opinions. I meant to write Miami Heat, not Orlando Magic.

Doleac's 2006 championship certainly isn't recent by any means, but comparing with that of Ferrin, it's in the "modern era".

Quote Originally Posted by scottie View Post
    He asked about the first to WIN one in the modern era.

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    No. Doleac has one with Miami Heat.
    Forgot about that one.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Im happy for Bogut. Wish he would have gotten more playing time, but thats how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Im happy for Bogut. Wish he would have gotten more playing time, but thats how it goes.
    Yeah, but Bogut appeared to have a great attitude about it, understanding that it was a tactical move (which worked beautifully) and not performance-based. He was still a huge part of the team for the balance of the season and helped put them in position to win a ring with him on the bench.

Lakers-Jazz. That might be he worst National Anthem of all time.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Kobe is going out with one of the greatest performances in NBA history.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Kobe is going out with one of the greatest performances in NBA history.
    Sorry, going 22/50, no sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post

He is the first player to put up 50 shots in a game since they started tracking the stat in the early 80's. So he's got that record going for him, which is nice.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

That's 44 percent, which is right in line with his overall career mark. Shooting 16 for 29 from 2 was actually above his career mark of 48 percent from 2.

This wasn't some meaningless January game. It was Kobe's last game, he and Shaq buried the hatchet for good and the atmosphere was electric -- and Kobe over-delivered. It took $1,000 minimum to get into the arena, and who could argue that it was anything but a bargain. In fact, the diehard Lakers fan I spoke with said this entire season was worth it if that's the kind of finale they were gonna get from Kobe.

I truly feel bad for sports and basketball fans who didn't enjoy Kobe's effort. They're a pitiful, sad bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    That's 44 percent, which is right in line with his overall career mark. Shooting 16 for 29 from 2 was actually above his career mark of 48 percent from 2.

This wasn't some meaningless January game. It was Kobe's last game, he and Shaq buried the hatchet for good and the atmosphere was electric -- and Kobe over-delivered. It took $1,000 minimum to get into the arena, and who could argue that it was anything but a bargain. In fact, the diehard Lakers fan I spoke with said this entire season was worth it if that's the kind of finale they were gonna get from Kobe.

I truly feel bad for sports and basketball fans who didn't enjoy Kobe's effort. They're a pitiful, sad bunch.
    Yes. It was the Kobe show. He took more shots than he's ever taken in a game. He scored, people loved it. It was a good spectacle.

But to call it one of the greatest games in NBA history? Come on.

Yes. It was the Kobe show. He took more shots than he's ever taken in a game. He scored, people loved it. It was a good spectacle.

But to call it one of the greatest games in NBA history? Come on.

I think it's one of the greatest moments in NBA history, and as far as the regular season goes, it's probably on top. It's the greatest sendoff by any athlete in any sport ever. But I haven't heard anyone try and put this up there with a spectacular playoff effort, or a thrilling game between two superior teams.
    Last edited by SoCalPat; 04-14-2016 at 01:14 PM.

I didn't watch it, but I know the Jazz had draft incentive to lose. Any sense that the Jazz tanked a bit? I mean, they definitely should have tanked.
    The Jazz defended him well early on, but if Gordon Hayward was giving it his all defensively, I feel for Jazz fans. Kobe abused him a number of times.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    The Jazz defended him well early on, but if Gordon Hayward was giving it his all defensively, I feel for Jazz fans. Kobe abused him a number of times.

Actually, I thought Hayward did give it his all, esp. the last 8 minutes or so. He did get abused. The thing that surprised me was how weak Trey Lyles was. he really got pushed around.

I'm sure it belongs up there with many of the other great sendoffs. Derek Jeter hit a game winner in his last at bat. Elway and Manning won the superbowl in their last games. And, it wasn't his last game, but Lou Gehrig's sendoff is immortal. Mariano Rivera's sendoff was pretty great a few years back.

And don't forget Trevor Reilly sealing the win against CU with an interception which he then punted into the south end zone. That was epic.
    None of those compare. Game-winning RBIs are a routine part of baseball; 60-point games are not. So cross off Jeter (Ted Williams had the greatest final AB in baseball, and it was done in a near-empty Fenway). Elway and Manning won the Super Bowl, but going into their final game, we knew that was a possibility. Nobody ... and you're a liar if you say so ... saw a 60-point game coming from Kobe. To further expound, Manning isn't even in the discussion -- he only played one of the three worst games ever by a SB winning QB. Elway had a good game and was MVP, but it's not like Denver was the inferior team to Atlanta like the Lakers were to the Jazz last night. To get in Kobe's ballpark, he'd have to have thrown for 500-plus yards and at least 5 TDs, all while overcoming a 10- to 13-point deficit in the final 3 minutes.

Gehrig's sendoff was truly immortal, but it had nothing to do with an athletic feat. The pre-game platitudes were nice for Kobe, but we wanted a performance, and by that standard, he exceeded everyone's expectations. It's not even close.

Greatest final game ever? Kobe quite likely retired that trophy last night as far as our lifetimes are concerned.

Bogut comes up big in game 5.

Wow. We get a game seven!

Westbrook and Durant forcing everything the last five minutes cost the thunder.

Wow. We get a game seven!

Westbrook and Durant forcing everything the last five minutes cost the thunder.
    Great series.

The game turned in the 3rd quarter when the Thunder, for some reason, kept switching Adams onto Thompson and Curry.

Looking forward to this series. Obviously, Id like to see Bogut do well. Otherwise, I don't care for either team, just hoping for some competitive basketball.

Looking forward to this series. Obviously, Id like to see Bogut do well. Otherwise, I don't care for either team, just hoping for some competitive basketball.

I dont know, but I would expect Bogut to have little role in this series due to match ups; Warriors will play small, with Iguidola on Lebron. My less than $.02. Bogut could play less than Kanter did against the Warriors.

Warriors in 5.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

The whole game changed on Delly's foul of Iguodala.

I've learned never to judge a series based on game 1. Its just incredible how fast the Warriors can absolutely bury opponents.

The whole game changed on Delly's foul of Iguodala.

I've learned never to judge a series based on game 1. Its just incredible how fast the Warriors can absolutely bury opponents.
    Agreed. Wouldn't be shocked to see the Cavs take game 2, despite everyone clammoring that because GS guards didn't play well that Cleveland is in trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    Agreed. Wouldn't be shocked to see the Cavs take game 2, despite everyone clammoring that because GS guards didn't play well that Cleveland is in trouble
    I think things will return to equilibrium. The folks who are saying this series is over because the splash brothers didnt play well and the warriors still blew them out are likely not taking into consideration that Shaun Livingston and Leandro Barbosa likely dont have another game in them like that. Also, Iggy is not going to give them a 12-7-6 every game either, as good as he still is.

As a die hard Jazz fan, it pains me to think that we helped them quite a bit to build that thing. But oh well, our time will hopefully come.
    Last edited by UtahsMrSports; 06-03-2016 at 10:05 AM.