Thread: PAC-12 hoops in 2017-2018

Hybrid View

Bracketology has five Pac-12 teams in, although the SoCal schools are relegated to play-in games, and UW is one of the last four with byes.

Utah in the Next Four out.

I suspect if Utah gets in, it's at the expense of another Pac-12 team. The good news is we play all three of the aforementioned teams before season's end. In fact, I'll say right now a Utah-UCLA matchup in Vegas is an elimination game for the NCAAs (provided we beat UCLA in SLC). And being among the last four in is a precipitous place to be in. I'll say the league gets four bids.

I just don't have the same optimism that the rest of y'all seem to have. We have 4/5 remaining games against teams that are even with us. We need to win 4/5 of those.

If USC, UCLA, UW, and CU are a coin toss, and WSU is 80%, we have (.5)(.5)(.5)(.5)(.8) = 5% chance of winning out.

We've been good on the road twice (ASU and Oregon), and we've been awful three times (USC, UCLA, and CU). I'm not sure how UW has been good this season. On paper, they're not much. That's a winnable game in Seattle, but it's also a game we could lose by 20.

UCLA and USC beat us so badly in SoCal that I have a hard time thinking we will beat them both in SLC. I know the shots seems to fall for us in SLC, but it's hard for me to get over those blowouts. Plus, they both have outside shooting big men, which is tough for us to handle.

Anyway, the hope is alive! There is a path to the dance.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    If USC, UCLA, UW, and CU are a coin toss, and WSU is 80%, we have (.5)(.5)(.5)(.5)(.8) = 5% chance of winning out.
    ESPN's "matchup predictor" gives us a 48.7% chance in Seattle.

78.2% @ WSU
    61.3% vs UCLA
    57.2% vs USC
    81.2% vs CU

So ESPN gives us a 10% chance of winning out. That's not bad!

Justin Bibbins is:

18th in the Pac-12 in ppg
    4th in apg
    6th in FT%
    2nd in 3FG per game
    1st in 3FG%
    3rd in assist to turnover ratio
    10th in mpg

Which all-conference team does he belong on?

I think there are 6 locks for 1st team: Ayton, Holiday, Trier, Holder, Travis, and Tinkle.

After that, you have other guards: Bibbins, Evans, Thompson, Wright. Other bigs: Welsh, Dickerson, Metu, Boatwright.

That's 8 possibilities for 4 open spots. I think Bibbins is on the cusp.

It's just amazing. When they announced that he was joining the team, I really didn't think he'd be able to be effective game in and game out in the Pac-12. Now he's probably my favorite player on this team. So glad that he's having so much success.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Justin Bibbins is:

18th in the Pac-12 in ppg
    4th in apg
    6th in FT%
    2nd in 3FG per game
    1st in 3FG%
    3rd in assist to turnover ratio
    10th in mpg

Which all-conference team does he belong on?

I think there are 6 locks for 1st team: Ayton, Holiday, Trier, Holder, Travis, and Tinkle.

After that, you have other guards: Bibbins, Evans, Thompson, Wright. Other bigs: Welsh, Dickerson, Metu, Boatwright.

That's 8 possibilities for 4 open spots. I think Bibbins is on the cusp.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    It's just amazing. When they announced that he was joining the team, I really didn't think he'd be able to be effective game in and game out in the Pac-12. Now he's probably my favorite player on this team. So glad that he's having so much success.
    and he seems to be getting smaller. Early in the year the TV announcers commented that he was just 5'11", against CAL he was down to 5'8"

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Bracketology has five Pac-12 teams in, although the SoCal schools are relegated to play-in games, and UW is one of the last four with byes.

Utah in the Next Four out.

I suspect if Utah gets in, it's at the expense of another Pac-12 team. The good news is we play all three of the aforementioned teams before season's end. In fact, I'll say right now a Utah-UCLA matchup in Vegas is an elimination game for the NCAAs (provided we beat UCLA in SLC). And being among the last four in is a precipitous place to be in. I'll say the league gets four bids.
    I watched the CBS projection that took the top 16 teams and Jerry Palm expanded on that. He had ASU in as a 10 seed. I don't think they are on very solid ground though at the moment. Now, a win over Arizona this week probably puts them in, but just looking at their schedule, they still have games they could drop down the stretch here. I don't see them getting to the 12-6 mark as noted above.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.