Thread: The Official NBA Thread

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Scottish and English ancestry, but born and raised in London.
    I actually knew that but his dad was a Scot, laddie. And Stewart is a purely Scottish name. Don’t confuse the discussion with annoying facts.

http://<a href="https://youtu.be/nqU...qU0u9v6U0I</a>

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I actually knew that but his dad was a Scot, laddie. And Stewart is a purely Scottish name. Don’t confuse the discussion with annoying facts.

http://<a href="https://youtu.be/nqU...qU0u9v6U0I</a>
    That makes me a Scot too, since both my fathers family name and my mothers (Burns) are pure Scot. I had better turn in my passport.

That makes me a Scot too, since both my fathers family name and my mothers (Burns) are pure Scot. I had better turn in my passport.
    You’re beginning to catch the vision.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    You’re beginning to catch the vision.
    The good thing is, now I have something in common with Alexander Hamilton.

The good thing is, now I have something in common with Alexander Hamilton.
    You’re going to die in a duel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    You’re going to die in a duel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I meant being a Scot, but you are probably right.

The Official NBA Thread

I meant being a Scot, but you are probably right.
    I think being a Scot has been mostly a state of mind after James 1 became king. The dividing line got blurrier and blurrier over the decades after that. When Bonnie Prince Charlie failed to retake the throne most Scots decided they were British now.

Funny family story: After the Battle of Culloden (when Charlie’s dreams were dashed forever) the English cracked down on Scottish customs and even persecuted people whose surnames were very Gaelic-sounding. In order to survive, be able to get jobs, etc., many Scottish people (including my ancestors) changed their names to ones like Brown, Green, White, etc. If you have strong Scottish ancestry and your surname is one of those, it probably was another name prior to about Culloden in 1750. (Our family name was McGonigle.) Anyway, my third great grandfather was so angry at the English for causing the loss of the family name that he christened my great-great grandfather with two given names -- Cambell McLeod. We have no Campbells or McLeods in our family line. He just wanted to make a statement with two very Gaelic/Scottish names for his son. Those two given names persist in my family to this day. Alba gu bràth!
    Last edited by LA Ute; 06-01-2018 at 01:45 PM.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    not sure if this is good or bad for Koozma? my first reaction was it has to be bad.