Thread: Political/Cultural Chit-Chat

Threaded View

Political/Cultural Chit-Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Irving Washington View Post
    So in Article II, Section 2, the term "shall" applies to the President, but not the Senate? "By and with" does not require the Senate to act but precludes the President from appointing with no action? What would the current Originalists on the Court do with that interpretation? How would the Marbury v Madison Court rule on that interpretation?
    If the tables had been turned I would have been angry too. Depends on which political side you’re on, because it was an exercise of political power. Even Glenn Kessler, the WaPo fact checker, sees history and precedent slightly favoring the GOP on this one:

Does the Senate have a constitutional responsibility to consider a Supreme Court nomination?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.9efb187685f3

As I’ve said before, I think the SCOTUS has become far too important.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 09-09-2018 at 04:59 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell