Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: #13 Utah at Washington: Mining for victory in the Emerald City

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    Williams, Cox, Huntley will be how the depth chart well read for the opener.
    I'm optimistic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I think for me this game was the tipping point, somewhere between Oregon St. and TCU of 2008. I think after last night, I am ready to admit that we can do something really, really cool this year. What that will be, I don't know. But yeah, Im on fully on board now.

From the desnews this morning:

Wilson completed 48 percent of his passes on Saturday, which is the lowest completion percentage he's compiled in a game this year and the first time all season he has failed to complete 60 percent or more of his passes. However, the senior finished with an adjusted QBR of 62.5 percent. Utah is 7-0 when Wilson has an adjusted QBR of 50 percent or higher and 1-1 when lower. Though his streak of five-straight games with a passing touchdown ended, Wilson has either thrown or run for a touchdown in all eight games he has played thus far into the season.
    The part after "however" is the important part.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    You can't win a conference title with the worst starting QB in the conference.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
    Oh yeah?!!?!?!!? Watch us.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Oh yeah?!!?!?!!? Watch us.
    Great game. I love the Booker! He is a real workhorse. Thoughts:

1. Someone mentioned Gionni Paul as the best LB at the U. If he isn't, he's close. He has owned the line of scrimmage this year. On 3rd or 4th and short he has been devastating. Combine that with how disruptive he is in general (INTs, fumbles, etc) and the guy is an all-america candidate.

2. Too bad about Chase. He was coming into his own at safety. His days as a QB are over, and that has nothing to do with the fluke injury: he is going to be a special player on defense.

3. Some of the criticism of Travis is justified, but some is over the top. There is no one in the country that would look good with our receivers. There were a couple plays in the second half where Travis looked for 1, 2, and 3 options, scrambled and STILL no one was open. A that is with every defense we face going straight up man to man to contain Booker. Now, Travis is no pro prospect, but let's hold off on calling for Kendall Thompson.

4. Those young bucks in the middle (Lotulelei and MOkofisi) are going to be fun to watch over the next two years.

Not in terms of absolute starters, but impact starters, yes we lose a TON. (Wilson, Booker, Scott, G Paul, Norris, Fanaika, Etc).

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Don't anybody bother telling me to knock it off and enjoy the ride this year; I know I'm guilty and can hear your posts already.
    Relevant username.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    P.S. you look great in purple. It really brings out your eyes.

We didn't win 'ugly', we won 'with power'. After the tcu - okie state game yesterday I no longer crave a super explosive offense. I love our Defense.

I like what I see in much of the Offense, especially the line and the young WRs.

Travis is a warrior. Period. He is an absolute beast of a running QB. He had some great throws, missed a few reads (Scott twice and Poole once were completely wide open but he forced a throw underneath). The wind aloft was very tricky, an every punt or kick to the Northwest hung and dropped 15 yards short. The pass that was picked off in the end zone hung just like the kicks.
    Considering the weather, and how effectively Utah was running the ball on that possession, that pass play should never have been called. I know there are some who don't like Utah's "conservative" offensive style, but that play, for me, is exhibit A in favor of that style. Fortunately, UW did not get any points off of that turnover and Utah got it right when they got the ball back, pounding away with Booker to set up the final touchdown.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    We beat RichRod in 2008.
    Whoops. OK, we can beat him for the first time in the PAC-12. Just a small monkey.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Great game. I love the Booker! He is a real workhorse. Thoughts:

1. Someone mentioned Gionni Paul as the best LB at the U. If he isn't, he's close. He has owned the line of scrimmage this year. On 3rd or 4th and short he has been devastating. Combine that with how disruptive he is in general (INTs, fumbles, etc) and the guy is an all-america candidate.

2. Too bad about Chase. He was coming into his own at safety. His days as a QB are over, and that has nothing to do with the fluke injury: he is going to be a special player on defense.

3. Some of the criticism of Travis is justified, but some is over the top. There is no one in the country that would look good with our receivers. There were a couple plays in the second half where Travis looked for 1, 2, and 3 options, scrambled and STILL no one was open. A that is with every defense we face going straight up man to man to contain Booker. Now, Travis is no pro prospect, but let's hold off on calling for Kendall Thompson.

4. Those young bucks in the middle (Lotulelei and MOkofisi) are going to be fun to watch over the next two years.
    Mokofisi wasn't even there. He's hurt and didn't travel (Neither did Dimick)

A tweeted photo of the O Line post game shows Aiono there, but with s bandage and splint on his right hand.

I can't tell how much is Wilson and how much is the WR corps, but I don't care. Even great teams have weak spots. The passing game is ours.
    True. That's the reality. We all might as well just be at peace with it.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Relevant username.

That's the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    Considering the weather, and how effectively Utah was running the ball on that possession, that pass play should never have been called. I know there are some who don't like Utah's "conservative" offensive style, but that play, for me, is exhibit A in favor of that style. Fortunately, UW did not get any points off of that turnover and Utah got it right when they got the ball back, pounding away with Booker to set up the final touchdown.
    I disagree, I loved the play call. It keeps the D honest.

There were a number of times where we had receivers WIDE OPEN downfield, and Travis didn't see them. On one, the secondary was in Man and Poole's defender fell down. It would have been a simple 55 yd TD. Tyrone Smith got wide open a few times as well.

I can't tell how much is Wilson and how much is the WR corps, but I don't care. Even great teams have weak spots. The passing game is ours.
    It is definitely our weakness, but as far as weaknesses go it's not as bad as many. We have the capability to make enough plays via the passing game (and we generally do) to either keep opposing defenses honest or to punish them for stacking the box.

Rewatching Utah's final touchdown drive brings tears to my eyes. It really was a beautiful drive. Poole, Booker, Wilson, Booker, Booker, Booker, Booker, Booker, Wilson. The offensive line played like men on that drive. Has Jackson Barton earned the right to be the full time left tackle? It was probably our most crucial drive of the season so far and it was Barton and not Tevi in there.

On a side note, was anyone else screaming at the TV right before the last touchdown? Utah had 2nd & Goal at the 2, Booker ran it up the middle to about the 1 1/2 and then got pushed back. Somehow the ball was spotted on the 3 for 3rd & Goal. It was such a terrible spot. It almost ended up being a huge swing, would have been if Wilson's butt had hit the turf just shy of the goalline. Of course there were terrible spots all night, including that critical 4th down for Washington.

#13 Utah at Washington: Mining for victory in the Emerald City

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    That's the truth.
    I imagine you as being like the Fear character from Inside Out.

Which begs the question to everyone else: which Inside Out character is your Ute fandom?

I'm not sure if MP Funk is closer to Anger or Disgust.

(Guess which movie I have seen 3 times in the last few days)

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    I imagine you as being like the Fear character from Inside Out.

Which begs the question to everyone else: which Inside Out character is your Ute fandom?

I'm not sure if MP Funk is closer to Anger or Disgust.

(Guess which movie I have seen 3 times in the last few days)
    Yep. That's me.