Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Utah 2014 Football Recruiting Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    It looks like our recruiting efforts are almost entirely focused on DBs right now. We received a soft verbal from this guy from Louisiana that HL mentioned, now we steal a DB from San Jose State (Colorado also offered). None of these guys are world-beaters, we are competing with the MWC and the lower tier of the Pac for them. Maybe the idea is to sign a bunch of long-term projects and see who works out? I can't say I'm overjoyed by that strategy.
    I won't rest easy until we have 8 QBs in the cupboard... these last few seasons have scarred me for life.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Crimson View Post
    I won't rest easy until we have 8 QBs in the cupboard... these last few seasons have scarred me for life.
    As long as 3-4 of them can switch to DB or LB.

You really can't get enough CBs, OLs, or pass rushers.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    This guy committed last night. He has some size -- 6'1". Some people this he's been overlooked and Utah may have snagged a good one.

Sidney Jones IV
    Same story: beating out Colorado, San Jose St, and Fresno. Most of these types won't pan out - some will, but you can't base your future on a team full of these recruits.

Same story: beating out Colorado, San Jose St, and Fresno. Most of these types won't pan out - some will, but you can't base your future on a team full of these recruits.
    I agree. I hope I am not putting lipstick on a pick, and that this guy is a diamond in the rough. (I was thinking of finding a third metaphor to mix here, but I am a little short on time today.)

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Time for Dave Christensen to visit Dalton Schultz. Seems like a long shot, but maybe something will click between the two. Selling points:

1) A chance to play with and learn from Jake Murphy for a year. You don't always get a future NFL TE as a tutor.

2) A chance to be a focal point of the offense for multiple years.

3) A chance to play in front of family and friends nearly every week.

4) A chance to avoid becoming a Cardinals snob.

I have no idea if Christensen has used TEs well in the past. If not, he's about to start.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Time for Dave Christensen to visit Dalton Schultz. Seems like a long shot, but maybe something will click between the two. Selling points:

1) A chance to play with and learn from Jake Murphy for a year. You don't always get a future NFL TE as a tutor.

2) A chance to be a focal point of the offense for multiple years.

3) A chance to play in front of family and friends nearly every week.

4) A chance to avoid becoming a Cardinals snob.

I have no idea if Christensen has used TEs well in the past. If not, he's about to start.
    I read about Notre Dame sending out "Pots of Gold" to special recruits, including Schultz. From what I can gather, those PoGs consist of 477 letters which represents the number of Notre Dame alums that have been drafted in the NFL.

Dalton Schultz (South Jordan, Utah/Bingham), an uncommitted tight end prospect, was one of the latest recipients of the Pots of Gold. The No. 138-ranked prospect posted a video on YouTube showcasing all the mail he received from coaches. Schultz believes this strategy is more than hype and that this type of recruiting can help sway prospects to Notre Dame.
    "I think for most kids, getting something like this would have some impact on their decision," he said. "Only 11 kids got that, so that's pretty humbling. It lets recruits know that they're genuinely interested in getting you there. That buzz [it creates] just gives Notre Dame more positive publicity, which is always helpful for recruiting purposes."
    Personally, I would rather receive this Pot of Gold than the Notre Dame kind, but that's just me:

Martin Rucker and Chase Coffman were consesus first team All-Americans in back to back years (07&08) while he was at Missouri.

Quote Originally Posted by cald22well View Post
    Martin Rucker and Chase Coffman were consesus first team All-Americans in back to back years (07&08) while he was at Missouri.
    That should mean something to Dalton. Better than blocking in a 3 TE set at Stanford, right?

That should mean something to Dalton. Better than blocking in a 3 TE set at Stanford, right?
    Didn't Luck have two TE's drafted his year, at least one in the first round?

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Didn't Luck have two TE's drafted his year, at least one in the first round?
    Fleener and Ertz are two Stanford TEs in the NFL now. But they didn't use a TE as a receiver at all this season. Not sure if that was just personnel or if it is Shaw's evolving philosophy.

Their main TE this season was on the Mackey watch list without a single reception. They transitioned him to DE mid season. They have a million TEs listed on their roster, and a few of them were as highly regarded as Dalton is.

Looks like Utah picks up another 6'1 corner with 4.45 speed. It makes me wonder why these guys with such great measurables only rank 2 stars.

Quote Originally Posted by ute4eva View Post
    Looks like Utah picks up another 6'1 corner with 4.45 speed. It makes me wonder why these guys with such great measurables only rank 2 stars.
    Most likely, it's because Hughes didn't attend most, or any, of the camps that are used to evaluate the players and so the evaluators didn't have anything to use to rate him. Hughes has been said by one of the sources that I've read to have been the best player on the field when his high school, Legacy, played Bishop Gorman, and BG places quite a few players in mid- to high-Division I schools.

So he has quite the chance to develop into one of our diamonds-in-the-rough that we've had over the years.

I still can't believe the way they rolled out the DC announcement. Regardless of what you think about the hire, the timing was nuts. Kaelin Clay (juco kid) expressed concerns over twitter; I'm sure he's not the only one. Hopefully, when they look at DC's body of work they'll settle down.

No talk of marcus williams? a committ on 12/30. not much in his other offers. boise is the best of the rest. a 6' WR.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/utah/footbal...illiams-134355

With the talk that Jim Mora Junior might be the next coach at Texas, I wonder if any of the UCLA recruits might waver. Like us, UCLA is loading up on cornerbacks this year. Unlike us, they are getting highly recruited guys. But a couple of their DB commits made trips to the great state of Utah, only to later sign with UCLA. With as many DBs as the Bruins are signing (I count 7), I hope that a few of those guys realize that the cupboard is bare under the shadow of the everlasting hills.

Utah 2014 Recruiting Discussion Thread

With the talk that Jim Mora Junior might be the next coach at Texas, I wonder if any of the UCLA recruits might waver. Like us, UCLA is loading up on cornerbacks this year. Unlike us, they are getting highly recruited guys. But a couple of their DB commits made trips to the great state of Utah, only to later sign with UCLA. With as many DBs as the Bruins are signing (I count 7), I hope that a few of those guys realize that the cupboard is bare under the shadow of the everlasting hills.
    ESPN is reporting Mora has turned Texas down and is staying at UCLA
    Last edited by Diehard Ute; 01-03-2014 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    ESPN is reporting Mora has turned Texas down and is stating at UCLA
    Of course. Jesus. He's not crazy.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    C'mon, SU. Even with your official Pac-12 glasses on, even you have to admit that Texas is one of the plumb college football jobs: HUGE recruiting advantage, great school, great academics, tons of support, amazing facilities, and a HUGE recruiting advantage. Mora is a moran is he turned that down. UCLA will always be #2 in L.A.

Sorry SU, Texas is a top 3 job in college football. Might be top 2 or even #1. I don't blame Mora for staying he has his reasons. Right now, he has a good thing going for him at Ucla. Even as good a job that Texas is, just like every other program in the country, there are many reasons why one wouldn't want to have that job.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
    Sorry SU, Texas is a top 3 job in college football. Might be top 2 or even #1. I don't blame Mora for staying he has his reasons. Right now, he has a good thing going for him at Ucla. Even as good a job that Texas is, just like every other program in the country, there are many reasons why one wouldn't want to have that job.
    USC, Ohio St, Texas. Undisputed top 3 jobs. Michigan, Penn St, Alabama, ND are undisputed next tier (and ND is dropping). Everyone else is a couple notches below, at best.

Boise, aka Paradise...I wish that was true.
    Someone posted this stat over on the PAC12 board. One year doesn't make a trend but maybe someone could slip this in front of Schultz.

2012 Stanford TEs had 93 catches for 1291 yds.
    2013 Stanford TEs had 10 catches for 69 yds.

Quote Originally Posted by Damage U View Post
    Someone posted this stat over on the PAC12 board. One year doesn't make a trend but maybe someone could slip this in front of Schultz.

2012 Stanford TEs had 93 catches for 1291 yds.
    2013 Stanford TEs had 10 catches for 69 yds.
    ...along with a photoshopped picture of Jake Murphy getting drafted.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
    Texas is a great job, but UCLA is as great an opportunity (maybe greater as it's in a better and more stable conference, a very hip location (granted so is Texas), is in the no. 1 recruiting location in the country (granted Texas may be next best), has a campus gorgeous second to none, etc.). The schools and programs are a lot alike, but the expectations are more under control at UCLA. It had one great year since then if my recollection is correct but the program is very uneven. Texas' tradition is not top tier.

Texas has a strong tradition but it doesn't touch Alabama's, Oklahoma's, USC's, Ohio State's or even Notre Dame's or Michigan's or Florida's. Until Texas' National Championsip in 1968 (bestowed by Nixon and occurring before integration was complete, with an essentially if not completely white team) Texas had no tradition and was in a parochial conference. Even since then Texas' program has been spotty. Texas' isn't one of the great traditions.
    Last edited by SeattleUte; 01-04-2014 at 04:38 PM.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Texas is a great job, but UCLA is as great an opportunity (maybe greater as it's in a better and more stable conference, a very hip location (granted so is Texas), is in the no. 1 recruiting location in the country (granted Texas may be next best), has a campus gorgeous second to none, etc.).
    Don't forget the weather in West L.A. Nowhere else can touch it.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Don't forget the weather in West L.A. Nowhere else can touch it.
    Yes, and the glitz. Pardon me but only the ignorant would think that UCLA is in any way inferior to Texas. And I love Austin, Texas' campus and culture, etc. It's like the Pac 12!

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Yes, and the glitz. Pardon me but only the ignorant would think that UCLA is in any way inferior to Texas. And I love Austin, Texas' campus and culture, etc. It's like the Pac 12!
    You serious Clark?

I get get the whole UCLA is a great place, but Texas is the cream of the crop. UCLA can't touch that program. Heck, I bet Texas pays their OC more than UCLA pays all their assistant coaches combined. One is a football school In the biggest football state, the other is a basketball school.

UCLA is a great place, but it ain't no Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    You serious Clark?

I get get the whole UCLA is a great place, but Texas is the cream of the crop. UCLA can't touch that program. Heck, I bet Texas pays their OC more than UCLA pays all their assistant coaches combined. One is a football school In the biggest football state, the other is a basketball school.

UCLA is a great place, but it ain't no Texas.
    We'll have to agree to disagree. But I say the proof is in the puddin', because UCLA has a coach that Texas wants but can't get.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

We'll have to agree to disagree. But I say the proof is in the puddin', because UCLA has a coach that Texas wants but can't get.
    Touché.

Sumlin did the same thing to usc. Same proof same pudding?

And if a law job with better pay, hours, benefits, type of work, etc. opened up in a different city would you automatically take it? And if you didn't, would that mean that your current job is a universally better job? Mora's decision to stay at UCLA proves nothing regarding the relative quality of the two jobs.